12-25-10, 05:11 PM   #1
Mephz
A Defias Bandit
Anti-botter addon

I would like to see if any skilled addon developers likes this idea...

I think that there should be a collaborative addon that allows people to basically add the name, race and type of botter to a shared notice board in each zone. So that if they come accross that botter they can create a GM ticket automatically from this information to get rid of these botters!

I was in twighlight highlands last night trying to level mining and blacksmithing which, blacksmithing is hard enough without 5 botters flying around stealing your veins.

Blizzard seem to be doing very little or at least very little that is noticeable about botters because they are absolutley everywhere, world zones and they infest PVP zones. Blizzard told me to report every botter, I believe that if we can get a large number of people collaborating and reporting botters that we can destroy botting, but the community needs to be involved it doesn't work if only a couple of people are trying!
12-25-10, 05:19 PM   #2
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mephz View Post
I would like to see if any skilled addon developers likes this idea...
i laud the goal... but, i would be at a loss to differentiate between a bot and a gathering-ninja live player who was simply mechanistically following their Routes route on the map .

in other words, simply reporting character names would be the "easy" part of the problem (possibly as simple as adding something to the "target" unit contextual menu). heuristics for reliably identifying bots, based on observed character behavior, would be a different matter...
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"

Last edited by acapela : 12-25-10 at 05:21 PM.
12-25-10, 05:22 PM   #3
Mephz
A Defias Bandit
The player decides

Bots are super easy to detect, try fighting the person if they are opposite faction and watch their reactions, run around the bot in circles very close to it and watch it have an un-human focus on you spinning around in sync with your character. Watch for players that instantly release, watch for them instantly reserecution sicknessing. They are so easy to detect, watch some youtube videos of botters. Same faction, maybe tell the person that you are reporting them for botting...?

The player is the one that says who is a bot. The addon basically allows for players to talk to each other about it via a noticeboard and then create automatic GM tickets from this information. The addon doesn't need to detect bots, it is all about making it super quick for players to report botters, at the moment it requires effort and they can't see if anyone else is reporting that player. Like I said, if its just one person reporting someone then nothing will happen to the bot, if its a group of 5-10 people reporting the same person blizzard will probably ban them. Its the collaboration of botters names and info and then the ability to create an automatic GM ticket to ban them very quickly and easily...

Does that make sense? Let me know if u need more info

Last edited by Mephz : 12-25-10 at 05:47 PM.
12-26-10, 01:08 PM   #4
tranthy
A Murloc Raider
umm why go through all this trouble JUST to catch a botter. You can simply and easy enough to just go to another location to mine. It's not hard honey.
12-27-10, 06:30 AM   #5
Mephz
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by tranthy View Post
umm why go through all this trouble JUST to catch a botter. You can simply and easy enough to just go to another location to mine. It's not hard honey.
clearly you haven't played cataclysm yet when there's 20 mining bots circling every zone hey. it's good that you think its fine for people to be rewarded for afking
12-27-10, 06:56 AM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

I'm not sure I like the potential misuse and indeed abuse of such an addon.

Tagging mobs just before I engage them, then leaving me to kill them for you or die myself? Reported for botting.
Other faction camping my corpse? Reported for botting.
Blocking a quest NPC with a dragon? Reported for botting.

And as if that wasn't enough, anyone who comes across the innocently accused automatically accuse them as well... it shouldn't be THAT hard to fill out a ticket by hand, and few, if anyone, would spend time reporting innocent people via tickets if they had to write them themselves.

Not to mention the other end of the bargain... I don't know about your realms, but on mine, GM response time varies between 48 hours and 72 hours. If they had to deal with people being innocently reported over and over again due to automatics, I can easily imagine that waiting time rising dramatically.

12-27-10, 07:35 AM   #7
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Tagging mobs just before I engage them, then leaving me to kill them for you or die myself?
Blocking a quest NPC with a dragon?
Ive never understood why some go out of their way to aggravate, inconvenience, and harass other players in a game. people these days seem to think if they can get away with something then its ok to do it. i blame poor parenting and lack of common courtesy.
Anything to help combat such bad behavior is OK in my opinion
12-27-10, 12:16 PM   #8
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by MadCow View Post
Ive never understood why some go out of their way to aggravate, inconvenience, and harass other players in a game. people these days seem to think if they can get away with something then its ok to do it. i blame poor parenting and lack of common courtesy.
Anything to help combat such bad behavior is OK in my opinion
It's also worth keeping in mind that many of these cases are unintentional. For example, there have been many times where I've used a pull ability on a mob just to notice a Frostbolt or Arcane Shot or Shadow Bolt come rushing at it half a second later. Likewise it's very hard to actually position one of the larger mounts in such a fashion that no other player is prevented from interacting with an NPC from any direction. Players should not be punished for how the game works.

Furthermore, you would essentially clog up the GMs with falsified botting reports just because you don't like how the game works, severely hampering response times for those who actually have important issues to deal with, like item recovery, bug reports or stuck character issues. The ends do not always justify the means.

A better and easier solution would probably be to petition Blizzard for changes to their gameplay mechanics, such as severely reduced threat generation against tagged mobs and a modifier key to enable click-through on players.

Last edited by Jigain : 12-27-10 at 12:18 PM.
12-27-10, 01:25 PM   #9
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
It's also worth keeping in mind that many of these cases are unintentional. For example, there have been many times where I've used a pull ability on a mob just to notice a Frostbolt or Arcane Shot or Shadow Bolt come rushing at it half a second later. Likewise it's very hard to actually position one of the larger mounts in such a fashion that no other player is prevented from interacting with an NPC from any direction. Players should not be punished for how the game works.

Furthermore, you would essentially clog up the GMs with falsified botting reports just because you don't like how the game works, severely hampering response times for those who actually have important issues to deal with, like item recovery, bug reports or stuck character issues. The ends do not always justify the means.

A better and easier solution would probably be to petition Blizzard for changes to their gameplay mechanics, such as severely reduced threat generation against tagged mobs and a modifier key to enable click-through on players.
or people could take responsibility for their actions, intend or unintended. people could also realize that they are not alone in the game worlds and be aware of how their actions affect others. justifying bad or anti social behavior with " the game doesn't stop me from doing it so its ok to do it" is a very childish view of morality and life.

My part in this conversation is over. go ahead and get the last word if you wish. Ive said my peace.
12-27-10, 03:04 PM   #10
Mooky
A Murloc Raider

All it takes is for someone to rage and flag a non-botter as a botter, then everyone will see the note and do the same without even thinking. So thats a bad idea, It isn't hard to notice a bot, Combat and rez sickness ARE NOT METHODS of finding bots, this isn't 2005, if you even knew what .net is, you'd understand that anything could be hooked, and its totally possible to create one that could detect all aspects of the game. Blizzard may not appear to do anything with botters, but they actually do. What you think warden does? Reads your bank account, checks out what **** sites you use? No, it monitors the code caves in WoW searching for anything that shouldn't be there. Yea Glider was the famous bot that wow couldn't detect. Well thats dead in the water and they got closed down. You see a botter, just report them, I do quite often, especailly in battlegrounds, and I've even witnessed a GM Kicking a person out of it. Blizz will do what they can to remove botters from our lifes. But you have to help them. Just use common sense.

But on topic, this addon is a really bad idea, as innocent people could be acused of Botting, or maybe you just want an addon like this so you can attempt to blackmail a botter?
12-27-10, 03:33 PM   #11
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Mooky View Post
All it takes is for someone to rage and flag a non-botter as a botter, then everyone will see the note and do the same without even thinking.

[...]

But on topic, this addon is a really bad idea, as innocent people could be acused of Botting
I'm glad someone else sees the potential for abuse, as well.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Anti-botter addon