09-11-12, 05:01 PM   #21
mynex
A Defias Bandit
Rythal - Name for Add-on Suggestion

Rythal's Add-on's or... *drumroll* -= RytOn =-

As in 'Right On' - Right on target, right on track, right on man!

RytOn Maps
RytOn Quests
RytOn Tracking
RytOn >insert name here<

---

As for what to work on... Core aspects... at least what I consider core aspects (ymmv )
1. Maps - General World, Instances, BG's, DMF, etc...

2. Quests - Suggest using a SQL (MySQL specifically) DB to hold the info (there's reasons why and if you wish to discuss the more technical aspect as to why, I'm more than happy to)... have it be an optional 'user supplies info' pulling from their clients... people are far more willing to donate their CPU cycles and info if they have a choice about doing so!

3. Tracking - Everything that the default Blizz tracker has and more - track guildies, fish, enemy players, achievement items (books, NPC's etc), ore nodes, herbs, etc... again, you can use a DB to hold this info... and again, make it optional...

4. Warehouse/Alt Info tracking (i.e. account wide info availability) - there's a couple of add-on's I use for this now on top of (your fixed) carbonite... I want to know whether or not I have that cooking recipe on all my alts, whether or not my horde toon has >profession< at X level for my ally guildie who's also got a horde toon, etc...

After that, adjusting/adding/tweaking features of these 4 core items.

---------------

From a marketing perspective, you, right now, your name, is a win... capitalize on it... Even knowing that it's going to take you a while to get a barebones, proto-alpha test map type add-on going, people are, and will, wait and help you out.

In fact, while my LUA-fu skills are only marginal, my DB skills are pretty advanced... So I am offering to help on the DB design side of things when/if you get to that point. I'll help out however I can, and now, actually have motivation to improve my LUA-fu. My time, like yours, is limited, but I will give what time I can.

And to note, I made an account not too long ago (even thought I've been using Carbonite since BC time frame), specifically to thank you, just hadn't gotten to it yet, before the *cough* shenanigans *cough* of the Carbonite Dev's came up.. I was just too disgusted with them, their attitude, and their treatment of you and their 'fans' and victims, er, donors... until I saw this thread and your intentions.

So, _____THANK YOU_____ for your fix (which I'm still using and will continue to use until I finally get around to installing other add-ons that do what I want/need them to do).

Mynex

Last edited by mynex : 09-11-12 at 05:16 PM.
09-11-12, 05:16 PM   #22
Xcari
A Fallenroot Satyr
Definitely use "Rythal" - not egotistical - it's how we'd love to honor you : ) First priority - the maps (including minimap), with the quest location areas shown; with my eyesight, the "ant trail" is a life saver, as is the arrow on the map turning as my character turns, so I can see the new direction I'll be headed. Second, the listing of current quests on the active screen, so we don't have to click out to the quest log to see what's in the list.
And thank you again. I'm saving up to be able to donate! .../cheers for Rythal
OR , like mynex's idea! RytOn!

Last edited by Xcari : 09-11-12 at 05:19 PM.
09-11-12, 05:16 PM   #23
Quartz
A Murloc Raider
Ryton - love it!
09-11-12, 05:33 PM   #24
Altogetherjohn
A Defias Bandit
One more future supporter

Rythal,

Count on me for support once you're ready for it. I bookmarked this thread and will keep checking to see how you are progressing on RyQuest, or whatever you end up naming it.

I understand your not wanting to name it for yourself, but we -- your growing loyal fan base -- like the reference to the one who brought forth, Phoenix-like, our former favorite addon.

Again, thanks for all you've done.

J
09-11-12, 05:46 PM   #25
Catitude
A Theradrim Guardian

Thumbs up Awesome!

RytOn Maps? Too

You have my support as well
I thought of Carbon-Free but you have a true following here & it seems only fitting that your name be a part of it. It also takes us to a new beginning and a fresh start is what we all need.

I look forward to a true addon from you & thank you so much.
09-11-12, 06:27 PM   #26
Maggz
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Carbonized...... just because.!
09-11-12, 06:32 PM   #27
Thorzon
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by mynex View Post
Rythal's Add-on's or... *drumroll* -= RytOn =-

As in 'Right On' - Right on target, right on track, right on man!

RytOn Maps
RytOn Quests
RytOn Tracking
RytOn >insert name here<

---
Awesome!!!1

Rythal, you must do this. The carb dev's have proven they are motivated by nothing more than greed.
09-11-12, 06:46 PM   #28
Whye
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up "RytOn" I agree!

I completely agree with this name! It just works. I can speak for my ENTIRE guild (even if it isn't that large), in saying that we are all behind you 100%.

My personal thoughts on order are map and quests, cause I could get lost in a paper bag trying to find a tiger. Then my next thought is Warehouse features. The ability to tell friends yeah I have {insert item here} on another character without having to log off every five seconds is nice.

Keep up the good work, enjoy the fame (yeah, you're getting famous around here), and most of all enjoy Mop when it releases.
09-11-12, 07:02 PM   #29
Darksol
A Defias Bandit
Go for it!

Hey Rythal, loved your work with carbonite and wanted to thank you again.

I'm behind you all the way on your add-on and am ready to donate as soon as you give us the word.

I rather like your Ry(name) idea for the add-on but you shouldn't feel weird about using the full name.

As for my suggestions on priorities, I always really enjoyed the ability to track quest GIVERS more than anything in carbonite... Everything else it did was kinda standard but I had never encountered that in an add-on before and I'd love to see it in your new work if possible.

Anyways, make sure to drop us a link whenever you're set cause we're all rooting for ya.
09-11-12, 07:07 PM   #30
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm thinking it will be a huge undertaking, considering this for the original Carbonite code:
  • all the code is arguably obfuscated (no idea if it was previously even more obfuscated the likes of Bejeweled)
  • all the code is unindented
  • the variable names are unintelligible
  • lack of any comment lines
  • everything is in one huge file of 26.000 lines
  • around 60 leaking globals, including the underscore which taints the Glyph frame (until the next Live patch)
  • license issues

I noticed Rythal already has done a lot of work to the fan update, localization and all (!) which is really great

But just trying to be realistic and constructive now, and looking from an addon author's point of view. Rythal already mentioned to be actively playing WoW and not having enough time to make it before MoP hits ..

I'm wondering though, is this is going to be a set of new projects written from the ground up, or a fork from Carbonite?
09-11-12, 07:09 PM   #31
MindOfAProdigy
A Murloc Raider
You could name it Carbonized just to take a Jab at the shambling corpse that is Carbonite in its current form
09-11-12, 07:16 PM   #32
mccompunerd
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
It could work... but to me it feels to egotistical to shove my name on it all :P tho I may just do part of it... RyMap ... RyQuest.. that might work.
I think that would work really well. I don't really care about the name of the addon, as long as we can get the useful functionality from that other one Main thing for me is the Google maps style map with integrated minimap. Beyond that I have other addons that can fill in.
09-11-12, 07:17 PM   #33
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
I'm thinking it will be a huge undertaking, considering this for the original Carbonite code:
  • all the code is arguably obfuscated (no idea if it was previously even more obfuscated the likes of Bejeweled)
  • all the code is unindented
  • the variable names are unintelligible
  • lack of any comment lines
  • everything is in one huge file of 26.000 lines
  • around 60 leaking globals, including the underscore which taints the Glyph frame (until the next Live patch)
  • license issues

I noticed Rythal already has done a lot of work to the fan update, localization and all (!) which is really great

But just trying to be realistic and constructive now, and looking from an addon author's point of view. Rythal already mentioned to be actively playing WoW and not having enough time to make it before MoP hits ..

I'm wondering though, is this is going to be a set of new projects written from the ground up, or a fork from Carbonite?
When I did my fan update I removed most of the obfuscation just so I could work on it (took 3 days to do that alone LOL). Something tells me it was that fact that pissed off the original authors more then anything else.

The addon will be completly new from the ground up not using anything from carbonite, and fully modular so people can pick and chose which parts they want to use. I have no intentions of having it done by MoP's release, nor does anyone expect it to... but carbonite is going on 5-6 years old, the code is very outdated was buggy but usable, and vastly needs a rewrite starting from the bottom floor. I've already decided to try and use libmapdata to cut down on some of it's memory usage.
09-11-12, 07:40 PM   #34
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
ugh... it is sooooo tempting to do carbonite-mop-050408 :/ the two glaring bugs I had left (green missing texture in twilight highlands... start area second level maps), are the 2 things they actually fixed in 5041.... but I keep slapping my hand and saying NO!
09-11-12, 08:11 PM   #35
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

...and fully modular so people can pick and chose which parts they want to use.
That just brought a tear to my eye. Thank you! That always irritated the hell out of me about Craponite.

/another vote for "Carbonized"
09-11-12, 08:12 PM   #36
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I agree with "RytOn" for a name.

Would using Kickstarter be against the Blizzard Add-on rules?

Also, another thing to think about...I just hope CBC doesn't still try to get your add-on banned for some "functionality" or "look and feel" reason...
09-11-12, 08:17 PM   #37
Shaddoh
A Murloc Raider
When I did my fan update I removed most of the obfuscation just so I could work on it (took 3 days to do that alone LOL). Something tells me it was that fact that pissed off the original authors more then anything else.

The addon will be completly new from the ground up not using anything from carbonite, and fully modular so people can pick and chose which parts they want to use. I have no intentions of having it done by MoP's release, nor does anyone expect it to... but carbonite is going on 5-6 years old, the code is very outdated was buggy but usable, and vastly needs a rewrite starting from the bottom floor. I've already decided to try and use libmapdata to cut down on some of it's memory usage.
Dude, I wish I knew how to write code to help you make a new addon. Hell, I wish I even knew where to start! I think something like that would be really cool and fun to do.
09-11-12, 08:20 PM   #38
antiquada
A Fallenroot Satyr
You have my support no matter what you do.

Rythal,

I was one of those players that had a monthly subscription to Carbonite. That should tell you how long I've been using it. I have also donated through Paypal over the last few years hoping it would bring the devs back after each expac to keep the addon going.

Of course I respect their right to their own code but because of their non playing status and lengthy lapses in keeping their users informed or just lack of communication I don't trust their knowledge of the changes in the game to be able to make Carbonite the addon I want to use.

Please if you can, set up a Paypal donate button somewhere and I will contribute to it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Maybe you can put up a request list (I know the map is 1st) that can be voted on for the functions to be added next to your new addon. I have to say that the quest tracker (tom tom integration) , Google API map, and the nodes (herb, mining) function are what I use the most. I have made over 750K gold in game over the last 2 years mining and herbing using the nodes/map overlay function.

It's actually a pleasure to watch the quests in a zone shift position as I get closer to them and be able to click on one and watch the arrow point to it and guide me.

Sorry about the rambling but you have my support on your new addon.
09-11-12, 08:30 PM   #39
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mynex View Post
<snip>
2. Quests - Suggest using a SQL (MySQL specifically) DB to hold the info (there's reasons why and if you wish to discuss the more technical aspect as to why, I'm more than happy to)... have it be an optional 'user supplies info' pulling from their clients... people are far more willing to donate their CPU cycles and info if they have a choice about doing so!
<snip>
Impossible: WoW's Lua is sandboxed, meaning there is no access to the filesystem or third-party programs. I'm also quite sure nobody wants to download and install an SQL server to run an AddOn.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
09-11-12, 08:34 PM   #40
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by DJ Particle View Post
I agree with "RytOn" for a name.

Would using Kickstarter be against the Blizzard Add-on rules?

Also, another thing to think about...I just hope CBC doesn't still try to get your add-on banned for some "functionality" or "look and feel" reason...
Carbonite and Cartographer were two addons that did the same thing... smooth moving google style maps, and so long as I don't use any of there code, the have no grounds since the images are all pulled from wow's data files.

As for kickstarter, even if I wanted to I couldn't.. it's for americans only and i'm a canuck :P

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Rythal!! Read this...