04-30-09, 11:39 AM   #1
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Does Blizz frown on non-addon folder-based mods?

So I was wondering, what exactly is Blizzard's stance on things that can be changed by merely dropping a folder (NOT an MPQ data file) into the Interface or Data folders? Like the mods that hosted here that, for example, change fishing bobber sounds and make the login screen blank.

I ask, because I've found a way to restore the original or BC login screens using this method and would like to share it, but I don't want Blizzard banning me because such actions aren't condoned.
04-30-09, 11:43 AM   #2
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

It's been a while since I've read the EULA and TOS (yes I read them both). I believe they don't like you changing things like the load in screen. the bober sound is doable through hooking the event and directing it to a different mp3, just like the scorpian mod for death knights. So I see nothing wrong with that.

As a guide I would say if you have to ask, it's not worth trying.
04-30-09, 11:44 AM   #3
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I think the general rule of thumb is something like: If you can do it within their guidelines, in game, without reverse engineering their program or running a third party application outside of the WoW environment, you should be ok.

That's my basic understanding
04-30-09, 11:56 AM   #4
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by jonathon View Post
It's been a while since I've read the EULA and TOS (yes I read them both). I believe they don't like you changing things like the load in screen. the bober sound is doable through hooking the event and directing it to a different mp3, just like the scorpian mod for death knights. So I see nothing wrong with that.

As a guide I would say if you have to ask, it's not worth trying.
A number of the sound-modifying "addons" I've checked on this site so far are installed by dropping them in /World of Warcraft/Data/Sound/, and some have even been around for a while now without being bothered. Another mod that's not listed on this site, which changes Kel'Thuzad's voice and combat sounds into their pre-BC versions was even posted to the official UI forums. That's why I asked.

Examples:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...batSounds.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...dLikeBows.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ompSounds.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ginScreen.html
04-30-09, 04:00 PM   #5
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
So I was wondering, what exactly is Blizzard's stance on things that can be changed by merely dropping a folder (NOT an MPQ data file) into the Interface or Data folders? Like the mods that hosted here that, for example, change fishing bobber sounds and make the login screen blank.

I ask, because I've found a way to restore the original or BC login screens using this method and would like to share it, but I don't want Blizzard banning me because such actions aren't condoned.
Why not ask Blizzard? I don't think anyone here speaks for them. Who knows? I sure don't.
04-30-09, 05:14 PM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I can't source it, but I've seen a Blue post that 'reflected' that the opinion is generally ..overriding sound files that aren't a class skill (like stealth, for example), is okay, but to override video or sound files that interact with other players or give a player an unfair advantage... will get you hit by a big fat hammer of banning.

It SEEMS like your addon falls into the 'look the other way' category, but I'd weigh the opinions of someone who is credible with these types of modifications, before sharing it. I doubt you get a solid yes or no from Blizzard, I've never seen one anyway.
04-30-09, 07:45 PM   #7
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'm pretty sure Blizzard doesn't want people messing with the login screen. I find it similar to messing with textures.
04-30-09, 08:09 PM   #8
ChaosWolf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Altering the login screen, not a good idea.

Sound overrides, like those that change the DK mounting-up sound or cut out the aggro shriek or Warlock minion babble, those are OK. Nothing is actually altering the game data - it's just a case of the addon casting Misdirect, so to speak.
04-30-09, 08:31 PM   #9
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I look at it this way ...

As stated above most of these sound mods are done by dropping a new sound file (named exactly as the sound you want to replace in the MPQ files) into the data folder (with the correct folder structure).

If this was any reason to get banned or was against any rules in the EULA then this "hole" would have not been programmed into WoW in the first place or would have been "patched".

When the game goes to play a sound the ones in the data folder override those of the MPQ. This is by Blizzards own design. It has been there since BETA. If it was an issue with Blizz I think they would have changed some of the games code to no longer load sound files from this location.

Just my 2¢
04-30-09, 09:02 PM   #10
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I look at it this way ...

As stated above most of these sound mods are done by dropping a new sound file (named exactly as the sound you want to replace in the MPQ files) into the data folder (with the correct folder structure).

If this was any reason to get banned or was against any rules in the EULA then this "hole" would have not been programmed into WoW in the first place or would have been "patched".

When the game goes to play a sound the ones in the data folder override those of the MPQ. This is by Blizzards own design. It has been there since BETA. If it was an issue with Blizz I think they would have changed some of the games code to no longer load sound files from this location.

Just my 2¢
That's pretty much my line of thought on the matter. If Blizzard didn't want people doing it, surely they would have patched it out ages ago...
04-30-09, 10:48 PM   #11
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

That's pretty much my line of thought on the matter. If Blizzard didn't want people doing it, surely they would have patched it out ages ago...
That's not true at all. Plenty of people use addons and external programs that Blizzard doesn't approve of.
04-30-09, 11:13 PM   #12
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
That's not true at all. Plenty of people use addons and external programs that Blizzard doesn't approve of.
And those are typically HACKs .. like Glider.

These type of "addons" have been around for quite a while. One of the first one I remember is one that changed the soung of the fishing bobber. I have never heard of someone getting banned from these sound changing mods.

Modifying the MPQ files is 100% against the rules but this does not do that. It uses functions built into the game by Blizzard.

I highly doubt anyone will get banned for using these type of addons. If they where going to ban for this I would HOPE they would give out some sort of warning before they do to let people remove said mods. Also if it was against the rules and Blizzard was to lazy to (or for whatever reason can't) fix the problem and determined this was against the rules one would think their little Warden program would have caught it or be told to look for such a thing.

Until I hear from Blizzard (or this site) I will continue to use these mods.
05-01-09, 03:50 AM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

As Blizzard removed the ability for drop-in files to override models and non-interface textures long ago, I would tend to believe that if they had a problem with people overriding sounds they would have removed that by now, too.
05-01-09, 04:41 AM   #14
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Another mod that's not listed on this site, which changes Kel'Thuzad's voice and combat sounds into their pre-BC versions was even posted to the official UI forums. That's why I asked.
I'm interested in this mod. I've only heard KT when we kill the cat, but he sounds undistinguished like that other lich in DTK. Sounds like his throat is dry and hoarse.
05-01-09, 05:48 AM   #15
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Spectro View Post
In the line of addons - if it can be done with LUA, they can't really "not approve of" - they may not like the behaviour, but there's nothing they can really say.

They may make it where the LUA in question doesn't work anymore, etc, etc, but they have always said if it can be done with LUA it's fair game.

Marth

05-02-09, 12:05 PM   #16
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I prey every night for Blizzard to allow us to revert back to the original or "Vanilla" WoW login screen.

Every night. Wet dreams about it... though I think I should have kept that part to myself
05-02-09, 12:26 PM   #17
klamb213
Banned

Blizzardf doesn't like you messing with the data folders. They do actually scan your data folder from time to time and if it isn't where it isn't the right size they'll investigate. They do this to prevent people from changing models. Gnomes into ogres for pvp is on example.
05-13-09, 11:08 AM   #18
Tavil
Premium Member

Premium Member
Blizzard needs to just give in and add an option to choose the login theme.
I want to use the original theme so bad. I hate the Wrath one. That damn dragon is annoying as hell.
05-13-09, 03:39 PM   #19
Starfury
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
I'm interested in this mod. I've only heard KT when we kill the cat, but he sounds undistinguished like that other lich in DTK. Sounds like his throat is dry and hoarse.
I never understood why they changed him either (maybe the voice actor couldn't come back, since they did add some new lines for him). The old voice sounds way better.

Originally Posted by Tavil View Post
Blizzard needs to just give in and add an option to choose the login theme.
I want to use the original theme so bad. I hate the Wrath one. That damn dragon is annoying as hell.
The music and dragon sounds on the login screen bothered me too (seem louder than in-game sound/music).

I took those sounds and just lowered their amplitude and put them in their proper places in the data folder, as I wanted the sounds to still be there just not so annoyingly loud. Had that for some time now.

If blizzard announces that they don't want people doing such things then I'd remove them. I doubt they really mind though or as Phanx said they would have blocked the ability to override sounds using the data folder.
05-13-09, 05:09 PM   #20
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
I downloaded an "addon" to replace all the ambiance sound because frankly, it was doing my head in.
*constant machine humming* *constant fire* *Yourstruly bashes his head in*
No seriously it was really getting on my nerves and before you say "just turn off ambiance sound in sound options", well I did and half of the ambiance are still sound effects..

In my opinion blizzard screwed up there and probably I can't hear the thunder from Zul'aman boss but who cares.... the ambiance is gone.

Im with the rest, if they haven't removed the "feature" then it's just an "add-on".

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Does Blizz frown on non-addon folder-based mods?