03-20-07, 01:03 AM   #1
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Character settings copy

Is there a utility available that will copy settings of one character (alt) to another?
I run alot of mods and addons.. So, each time i put a new one in or whatever, i have to log on all my characters and set all the window positions and icons on a per character basis, for some of you this is no prob, but i run 10 chars.
03-20-07, 01:19 AM   #2
Slipshadow
A Murloc Raider

+ if you navigate your way to the "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account" folder you will see a folder with your account name, double click this folder.

+ Inside this folder you will several files/folders. It's the folders that your interested in, you want to find the folder for the server, that houses the character UI you want to copy. (if your character is on Hyjal, then you need to enter the Hyjal folder)

+ Inside this server folder, you will see a folder for each of the characters on this server. These character folders contain all of the configuration files, for each of the characters UI's.

+ When you find the folder for the character UI you want, copy it and find your way to the character folder you want to update. It might be on the same server, or maybe the character is on another server/account. If thats the case, navigate your way back through the folders and find your way to the account/server/character folder you want to update.

+ You want to delete the character folder for the character UI you want to update and replace it with the folder you copied earlier. Don't forget to rename the folder from "copy of CharacterName" to "AppropriateCharacterName".

you can use this system, to give all your characters the exact UI configuration. All you have to do is copy and paste the folder for the character who already has the UI configured, then rename the folders to reflect the new character names.

hope this helps.

~cheers

Last edited by Slipshadow : 03-20-07 at 01:30 AM.
03-20-07, 06:53 AM   #3
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This works for the most part as I do this as well, but watch with some items that use profiles extensively. While most Ace addons save the first profile to default, when you copy this info to another character, it wont always setup as default until you choose that profile manually. After that it will be fine.
03-20-07, 08:20 AM   #4
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Yes i'm aware of the WTF folder and did already try that routine, but as slip said, it's good for the most part, but alot of mods configs aren't carried over via that route. So i'm looking for somthing that will deal with say... for example: Fubar and all of it's mod icons that i use. When i look into it, they all have profile seeting, but none that save.
Let's say you spend 2 hours and config all of your action bars, chat properties, sound levels, minimap icons, and individual mods like prat, auf unit frames, i'm looking to save the layout of my screen for every one of the mods/addons that i have personalized their preferances for.
Follwo me?
I'm studdering for a way to explain just what im looking for, and although the route with the WTF folder helps alot, it doesn't help to carry over settings from one character to all the other characters i play. I've replaced all 9 other character folders insode the WTF folder with the good one that i customized, and yet i still have to go inside each mod/addon and re personalize it, also the positions of most addons on the screen.
It's be nice to see someone come out with a utility that'd load up a listing of all of your characters and allow you to select the MASTER profile to be copied and then allow you to copy that MASTER profile to any, selected, or all other characters. Just on a per server basis would be fine.
I appreciate your replies if you can help me find what i'm looking for.
Thanks
03-20-07, 09:04 AM   #5
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm a bit confused by what exactly it is you're looking for myself. I use an abundance (read: a helluva lot) of Ace addons and the only real thing I need to copy/paste for settings are my default frame layouts and chat layouts/colors. Once I've set up my FuBar, agUF, Skinner, Bartender3 and others the way I like the settings transfer to all characters across all realms.

The only thing I have to copy/paste are perhaps my SW_Stats settings which I do under the character specific "SavedVariables" folders, but other than that I've never had an issue with settings not carrying over for Ace addons. I have about 9 characters myself both Horde and Alliance on multiple servers (most if not all 60+) and as I said the only settings that I've had to copy/paste are the default frame layouts (layout-cache.txt) and chat settings (chat-cache.txt) per character which is as easy as a simple copy, paste and replace.

- Grissom [XIX]
03-20-07, 09:11 AM   #6
ReverendD

As Grissom said, copy/paste is how you do it for layout and chat. If you are using Ace based, then youuse the profiles settings, and if you want a master profile, then you stick with the default. But for some Ace addons (Bartender3 is one for me), I have to tell it to choose the default profile if I copy over settings, but thats ony a few keystrokes.

If you say your addons Profiles are not being saved, then I would suggest makign sure they are updated. I had some issues with FuBar not saving/loading correctly lately, but the last update fixed that.

As for an all in one little program that will take care of this for you, there is none to my knowledge. Closest you will get to something like that is using MazzleUI, and that is all built in.

Sorry if this isnt the answer your looking for, but it the only one available atm.
03-20-07, 09:11 AM   #7
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by GrissomXIX
I'm a bit confused by what exactly it is you're looking for myself. I use an abundance (read: a helluva lot) of Ace addons and the only real thing I need to copy/paste for settings are my default frame layouts and chat layouts/colors. Once I've set up my FuBar, agUF, Skinner, Bartender3 and others the way I like the settings transfer to all characters across all realms.

The only thing I have to copy/paste are perhaps my SW_Stats settings which I do under the character specific "SavedVariables" folders, but other than that I've never had an issue with settings not carrying over for Ace addons. I have about 9 characters myself both Horde and Alliance on multiple servers (most if not all 60+) and as I said the only settings that I've had to copy/paste are the default frame layouts (layout-cache.txt) and chat settings (chat-cache.txt) per character which is as easy as a simple copy, paste and replace.

- Grissom [XIX]
I will provide a couple of screen shots to better describe my prob.
Ever created a new character and had to reset all your sound and video preferances?
03-20-07, 09:15 AM   #8
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Not really, usually I make the character and close WOW. Copy one of my existing folders and rename it to the new character. Restart WOW, modify the loading of certain addons based on class (ie; Necrosis, PallyPower etc) and I'm good to go.

- Grissom [XIX]
03-20-07, 10:04 AM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Sound and video preferences are saved globally per account......... They should never be reset to default when creating a new character, unless it's the first new character on a new account.

I'm with Grissom - the only things I've had to tweak are a few layout and chat things with new characters, unless I'm using mods that only save settings per character. Then a copy-paste from the correct character folder works for me. Copy over the layout-cache and chat-cache too.

If you want the SAME layout per character, then don't even bother with profiles. Just modify the default.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-20-07, 11:45 AM   #10
ReverendD

If your video/sound/interface/etc settings are being reset, then you must be removing/deleting the config file each time you do this, or for some reason deleting the entire WTF folder. I do this occaisioanlly whne I want a _complete_ reset of everything, but is not necessasary.
Perhaps a screen of what you mean would be helpful, cause by what you have said and the answers given, everything has been explained already. Lookign forward to the SS so we can hopefully help you out more.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Character settings copy