08-05-10, 07:51 AM   #981
Nuckin
is laughing at you

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Everyone talking about their 20mbps connections makes me sad, US ISP's gouge so bad, I'm lucky to see 1.1mbps and that's only when steam is downloading.
08-05-10, 07:58 AM   #982
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Nefrirr View Post
In spite of my wisecracking comments on "the (g)olden days" of programming, I myself wouldn't want to go back to that age. I have to admit that I actually write most of my code not only with modern design principles in mind, but even sacrifice speed for readability (I mostly do implementations in a research context, where the task is mainly to understand algorithms or do a proof of concept, not for end users).

The ironic thing is that I am often forced to use ANSI C and basically simulate OO design principles without proper language support. It's a twisted world.
Haha that reminds me off this commercial (it's in dutch) with an old guy ranting about how everything was better in the past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWCj-c0K06Q . Doing the same here tho trying to optimize where possible even if it means breaking a pattern a bit. The problem for me is mostly projects get to massive to do them without MVC, OO and all. But the memory of the good old days makes it all ok even at my age .
Originally Posted by AtliThor View Post
Sadly, this is the best ISP in my area. You don't want to hear about the second best...
Haha would love the hear about the second best
08-05-10, 09:15 AM   #983
henrik_s
Enhancement Shaman
"15.6 GB remaining"

Is it downloading the entire client?

edit: as opposed to patching the WotLK client. The beta install folder is already 15 GB.

Last edited by henrik_s : 08-05-10 at 09:17 AM.
08-05-10, 10:20 AM   #984
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Nuckin View Post
Everyone talking about their 20mbps connections makes me sad, US ISP's gouge so bad, I'm lucky to see 1.1mbps and that's only when steam is downloading.
Eh eh! 25Mbit here and doing 2.8MB/s to 3MB/s here when downloaden . (All gloating aside when I moved to my current apartment I picked a 6Mb/s connection knowing I don't really need more then that and my ISP just upgrade it from there.)
Originally Posted by henrik_s View Post
"15.6 GB remaining"

Is it downloading the entire client?

edit: as opposed to patching the WotLK client. The beta install folder is already 15 GB.
Ugh reinstalling it atm but having to download 15GB after I downloaded the 13GB for the base install?
08-05-10, 11:09 AM   #985
Nuckin
is laughing at you

Originally Posted by WyriHaximus View Post
Eh eh! 25Mbit here and doing 2.8MB/s to 3MB/s here when downloaden . (All gloating aside when I moved to my current apartment I picked a 6Mb/s connection knowing I don't really need more then that and my ISP just upgrade it from there.)

Ugh reinstalling it atm but having to download 15GB after I downloaded the 13GB for the base install?
need a roommate? lollolol
08-05-10, 11:34 AM   #986
xDD
A Murloc Raider

I have a connection from my uni :P Don't think I'll have many problems with the launcher.
08-05-10, 01:54 PM   #987
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Nuckin View Post
need a roommate? lollolol
Sec lemme ask the female BELF hunter next to me .
Originally Posted by xDD View Post

I have a connection from my uni :P Don't think I'll have many problems with the launcher.
Gief
08-05-10, 04:35 PM   #988
MauroR
Banned
Sec lemme ask the female BELF hunter next to me .

Gief
Impressive. OMG.
08-05-10, 06:09 PM   #989
eThuz
TeamBPS

*Cocks Shotgun*

Now, why don't you just set those innernets down over there, and back away... Slowly.
08-05-10, 09:10 PM   #990
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Talking

I officially hate you.
08-06-10, 12:33 AM   #991
Muqq
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by eThuz View Post
*Cocks Shotgun*

Now, why don't you just set those innernets down over there, and back away... Slowly.
If only teh innernets could be stolen that easily...
08-06-10, 01:27 AM   #992
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Muqq View Post
If only teh innernets could be stolen that easily...
It can be if you don't secure your wireless properly
08-06-10, 06:38 AM   #993
DJFreia
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It can be if you don't secure your wireless properly
Indeed, backtrack and aircrack-ng is al u need to gain acces to the wireless network. god i wish i lived in frankfurt and that your net actually was wireless with only a simple WEP KEY
08-06-10, 03:16 PM   #994
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by DJFreia View Post
Indeed, backtrack and aircrack-ng is al u need to gain acces to the wireless network. god i wish i lived in frankfurt and that your net actually was wireless with only a simple WEP KEY
Used wardrive from work to home once. In the city my job is in on the route with the bus say 15 minutes it picked up 500 networks, on the train through mostly farm lands and a few smaller towns for 40 minutes it picked up another 500. On my bicycle in my own city it picked up 1000 networks for a 20 min ride. Thats 2000 networks with SSID broadcast on just on my route from work to home. 1 in 3 networks didn't even use WEP not the mention WPA(2). So thats 666 networks unprotected and even more if you count WEP as unprotected might be over 900. So I doub't you have a hard time finding one in any city .
08-06-10, 07:59 PM   #995
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Unprotected networks is unfortuntally very common. Not a lot of people understand that they need to set it up. Or even care to thinking that nothing bad can happen.

Someone near me has an unlocked network. See it on my iPhone so chances are it's my next door neighbor.

A friend of mine moved a while back and use someone elses wireless network to get email and browse the net for a few days until he got his internet hooked up.
08-06-10, 11:47 PM   #996
eThuz
TeamBPS

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Unprotected networks is unfortuntally very common. Not a lot of people understand that they need to set it up. Or even care to thinking that nothing bad can happen.

Someone near me has an unlocked network. See it on my iPhone so chances are it's my next door neighbor.

A friend of mine moved a while back and use someone elses wireless network to get email and browse the net for a few days until he got his internet hooked up.
There's a school across the road from where I live that has an unlocked wifi network, Used it a couple times when my net gets capped.
They don't know the difference
08-07-10, 12:36 AM   #997
Talryn
A Fallenroot Satyr

I'd remember two things when it comes to using unsecure networks. First, the legality of it is questionable. Second, more importantly, any data sent over it can be seen by others. Logging into any site without HTTPS would definitely be an issue, IMHO. It wouldn't be common but it could even be a honeypot.
08-07-10, 03:41 AM   #998
Dark-Sider
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I always use a VPN when connecting to "public/unprotected" hotspots.
08-07-10, 05:41 AM   #999
WyriHaximus
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Talryn View Post
I'd remember two things when it comes to using unsecure networks. First, the legality of it is questionable. Second, more importantly, any data sent over it can be seen by others. Logging into any site without HTTPS would definitely be an issue, IMHO. It wouldn't be common but it could even be a honeypot.
Haha that reminds me when I was at some friend some time some where and they had a open network close by just in range of my laptop. It was unprotected so figured could use it to do some things. (Used SSH as a SOCKS5 proxy for those wondering.) At some point someone asked me if I could see the data transfered over the network so I started wireshark. We could read his msn chats so at some point we knew who he was. A few mins later the conversation was over and he went to a **** site. Before we know it we where watching him browse to the gay section and fire up a stream. Now the guy has a girl for a few years and information like this could potentiality destroy his reputation. We never did something with this information cause it isn't our place to tell her and we might be even interpret this bit of information completely wrong. If this action was legal or not (doubt it since we went very fast very deep into his privacy) it shows the dangers of not securing your connection properly.
08-07-10, 12:17 PM   #1000
Bruhn
Banned
Can't wait to see the new and updated DK rune system.. And single-minded Fury FTW! Thanks for doing this, WoW-i =D

Oh and this is the 1000th post in the thread o_O

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!