08-20-09, 11:42 AM   #1
jaxom
A Defias Bandit
Add to Curse.com

Why do you not add your add-on to curse.com for updates and such. It would get a lot more notice and probably more use and donations. You can always add a link back to this site from there or even add it in the add-on itself.
08-20-09, 11:51 AM   #2
Sekrin
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What addon are you referring to?
08-20-09, 11:53 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I know that I, as an author, stick to WoWI only for multiple reasons.

- one place to upload/update new versions/descriptions/screenshots
- one place to find bug reports, etc.
- one place to converse with users
- the "feel" of the site
- I don't really care how many users use my addons or how much donations I get

While there are some authors who do use both sites, there are many reasons why some authors don't.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-20-09, 11:54 AM   #4
jaxom
A Defias Bandit
I am referring to lightheaded add-on.
08-20-09, 11:57 AM   #5
jaxom
A Defias Bandit
Seerah, It is just so much easier to know when and update is done. Curse client tells anytime an add-on is updated. I love your lightheaded but so few know about it. I have directed many friends in game to come to this site for the add-on and have never found anyone else that knew about it. I try to spread your good work to others.
08-20-09, 12:08 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I am not the author of LightHeaded, Cladhaire is. He has other mods on Curse, but he has chosen for very specific reasons not to put LightHeaded on that site. You can be alerted by email whenever an addon gets updated here (by adding to favorites and then checking this option), or there is also our Minion updater.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-20-09, 12:10 PM   #7
tinyu
A Molten Giant

you know that this site has the same features as Curse right?
08-20-09, 04:41 PM   #8
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by jaxom View Post
Why do you not add your add-on to curse.com for updates and such. It would get a lot more notice and probably more use and donations. You can always add a link back to this site from there or even add it in the add-on itself.
Reeeeaally helpful when an addon author knows that you're talking about his/her addon. Although I do know that the authors that only post here do so for their own, usually very good reasons.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-20-09, 05:05 PM   #9
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Well, I started posting some of my more popular addons to the curse site as someone complained that the nUI plugins weren't available for download there. Over a month later and I have had 2 comments made. On this site I have many more comments requesting changes, saying thanks etc. This site is more friendly in my eyes.
08-21-09, 04:53 AM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I turned off the comments for mine on Curse. I didn't see the point in breaking my neck trying to keep track of comments on two places. Of course I linked to the nUI forums here in my description over there.
08-21-09, 05:39 AM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah, I did that too initially, but then I thought ... maybe the users on curse will comment if I let them .. *sigh* I was wrong.
08-21-09, 06:47 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I suppose you could look at the lack of comments as a good thing, too. You know... no comments means no issues hehe. Then of course too you have the Curse Updater. I would imagine tons of people use that, and therefor aren't even at the site to leave a comment. Took me awhile to figure out how to get mine to even show up in the updater... but I eventually figured it out lol.
08-21-09, 08:20 AM   #13
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Both sites are great for the ability to post addons and be able to have people download em. But some times its just personal preference as to what site gets what addons. More than anything we should be happy that the addons are posted somewhere and we are able to use them thanks to the Authors who work on getting them working for us. (No thanks to blizzard who changes the game code every other patch and breaks addons)
08-21-09, 08:51 AM   #14
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Instead of asking why not upload to multiple sites, why don't you ask "why don't I check all sites?"

Truth be told, it is much easier to check multiple sites for an addon than it is to upload to all of them. That is the complaint of many addon authors. Several I know argue that they don't upload to multiple sites simply because they do not want to deal with users that are so lazy that they cannot check them.

WoWI, Curse, and Incgamers all have features to automatically notify you when updates are available, and all have automatic updater clients that can satisfy that need. If you feel it's too complex to have multiple clients installed, then ask them to write a module for Minion.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
08-22-09, 06:57 AM   #15
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

This site is my first check site personally. If I can get an addon here I put it in my favorites list. I get my email notification of updates so much faster from here. It takes at least 24 hrs to get them when an addon is updated at curse and there has been a few times that by the time I was notified of an update there was already yet another update for that same addon (usually after a big patch is when that one happens). This is a much nicer and friendlier site also in my own personal opinion.
08-22-09, 12:59 PM   #16
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I personally prefer the "family" feel of the boards here, along with some of the "exclusive" addons that aren't posted over there.. I do check curse though every so often, but usually just hit up wowace bypassing the need..

Also curse has somehow borked my account there since July and have yet to resolve it despite my friendly reminders.. I don't really see any point to be part of a site that won't let you have a voice.
08-23-09, 06:24 AM   #17
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
WoWI, Curse, and Incgamers all have features to automatically notify you when updates are available,
^^ This

I use this method. I personally that since I went away for a little 3 vacation only about 4 of my addons got updated.

Why ?

Because I get them automatically filed into a special folder in my email. No not everyone of my 89 or so addons got updated. 4. Just 4.

I think i can handle 4 web pages
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
08-23-09, 05:54 PM   #18
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
I used to use curse more, but I love this alot more because it feels more like a community than curse does.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Cladhaire's Mods » Add to Curse.com