12-12-09, 11:05 AM   #1
crschnei
A Defias Bandit
chat font size

I would like for my chat font to be set at either 8, 9, or 10. however, when I click to change settings I can't go any lower than 12pt font. Is there any way to modify this outside of the pre-configured settings?

12-12-09, 11:26 AM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can use Prat 3.3 or Chatter I would think.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

12-14-09, 03:41 PM   #3
alverian
A Cliff Giant

I seem to having an issue with chat font size also. I try to run fonts set to 12 on my screen I can see it better, but after patch 3.3 as soon as I log off it will change back to 9. did not have this issue with 3.2 and the older NUI+.

12-14-09, 04:07 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, how are you starting up WoW and what operating system are you using and where is your copy of WoW running from ... ( Users\Public, Program Files, Other as installed, Other as copied ).

I just tried this twice. I used Prat to initially set all my chat windows to various oversized fonts ranging between 16 and 24. Silly I know. I then used the chat window font settings to set them all manually to 12. I logged all the way back out to the desktop and ran it again. All fonts as changed are set to 12. Repeated and set to 14 and again the settings remained.

Op Sys : Windows 7 64 Bit
How : Launcher running with Admin Access Rights
Where : Copied to another location

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

12-14-09, 04:15 PM   #5
alverian
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Hmm, how are you starting up WoW and what operating system are you using and where is your copy of WoW running from ... ( Users\Public, Program Files, Other as installed, Other as copied ).

I just tried this twice. I used Prat to initially set all my chat windows to various oversized fonts ranging between 16 and 24. Silly I know. I then used the chat window font settings to set them all manually to 12. I logged all the way back out to the desktop and ran it again. All fonts as changed are set to 12. Repeated and set to 14 and again the settings remained.

Op Sys : Windows 7 64 Bit
How : Launcher running with Admin Access Rights
Where : Copied to another location
Op Sys : Windows XP Pro 32 Bit
How : WOW default Launcher running with Admin Access Rights
Where : C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft

Not using Prat or any chat mod just NUI+ newest update. I use chat window font settings to change font, sometimes it will hold but most of the time it will change back to default 9pt

12-14-09, 04:53 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Okay, lets see if Prat is somehow getting it working.

Combat - 16 --- nUI_Infopanel_CombatLog
Guild Chat - 12 --- nUI_Infopanel_GuildChat
Whispers - 18 --- nUI_Infopanel_Whispers
Chat - 14 --- nUI_Infopanel_Chat
General - 16

/logout

Quit WoW to Desktop

login
General - 16
Chat - 14
Combat - 16
GuildChat - 12
Whispers - 18

Hmm, lucky I guess. I'll keep a watch on this as well when testing stuff and see if I can get it to go wrong and remember what I did

Characters:

12-14-09, 05:00 PM   #7
alverian
A Cliff Giant

Okay, lets see if Prat is somehow getting it working.

Combat - 16 --- nUI_Infopanel_CombatLog
Guild Chat - 12 --- nUI_Infopanel_GuildChat
Whispers - 18 --- nUI_Infopanel_Whispers
Chat - 14 --- nUI_Infopanel_Chat
General - 16

/logout

Quit WoW to Desktop

login
General - 16
Chat - 14
Combat - 16
GuildChat - 12
Whispers - 18

Hmm, lucky I guess. I'll keep a watch on this as well when testing stuff and see if I can get it to go wrong and remember what I did
So are you saying to install Prat to try to correct the issue?

12-14-09, 05:03 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Well that last test was without Prat installed. So inconclusive at this time .. wow that sounded fancy

I'd say, if it is resetting more often than not, its worth a try. Most of the time I just use Prat for the font changes only. Before 3.2 I think it was because of the extra functionality that is now in WoW normal.

Try it out for a while and see if it seems to solve your problem.

Characters:

01-05-10, 06:01 PM   #9
alverian
A Cliff Giant

Well that last test was without Prat installed. So inconclusive at this time .. wow that sounded fancy

I'd say, if it is resetting more often than not, its worth a try. Most of the time I just use Prat for the font changes only. Before 3.2 I think it was because of the extra functionality that is now in WoW normal.

Try it out for a while and see if it seems to solve your problem.
Ok I still have the issue with my font sizes changing, I did not install prat and also have found two other computers running NUI+ and playing wow that have the same issue. Of the two one is only running NUI+ and no other addons, and his size still changes from time to time. they reported it started after patch 3.3.

01-05-10, 06:31 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, I can't figure out what might be happening to you guys. My nUI+ install is not customized as I usually do so using the fonts everyone else does but then hmm. I'll do some tests tomorrow without Prat and see if I can get similar problems happening.

Characters:

01-06-10, 03:09 PM   #11
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Do you by chance have the nui chat mod by kodewulf installed? http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info12087-nUIConfigChatFrame.html

I remember someone having issues with this as it sets font styles and sizes. It was written before scott made the changes to give us multiple fonts to chose from so may cause some issues.

01-06-10, 03:54 PM   #12
alverian
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
Do you by chance have the nui chat mod by kodewulf installed? http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info12087-nUIConfigChatFrame.html

I remember someone having issues with this as it sets font styles and sizes. It was written before scott made the changes to give us multiple fonts to chose from so may cause some issues.
No I do not have any chat mods installed.

01-06-10, 04:24 PM   #13
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, well just tried without my chat mod (Prat) installed and changed the font from 12 to 14,16 and 18 and logged out to desktop, logged out to menu and reloaded the UI and the fonts stayed at the setting set. I'll keep watch to see if it resets at some point but currently running at 18pt chat window so should notice a difference

Characters:

01-06-10, 04:53 PM   #14
alverian
A Cliff Giant

Hmm, well just tried without my chat mod (Prat) installed and changed the font from 12 to 14,16 and 18 and logged out to desktop, logged out to menu and reloaded the UI and the fonts stayed at the setting set. I'll keep watch to see if it resets at some point but currently running at 18pt chat window so should notice a difference
Also I have the system set to log any taint issues but none so far have been recorded that have a relationship to fonts. I have also found that sometimes on startup that NUI does not load right and must be restarted to clear many lua errors being reported, I get the NUI frame work but no other stuff but black space. A simple logout and back in with the toon corrects it but fonts will drop from .12 to something like maybe .10 or .9

01-06-10, 05:24 PM   #15
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
It's possible in that situation it is resetting to defaults as it cannot find the settings for some reason. If I fully remove the WTF file I get a similar if not same error, so perhaps somewhere along the line it freaks out as it cannot locate the settings and decides to recreate them.

Characters:

01-06-10, 05:30 PM   #16
alverian
A Cliff Giant

It's possible in that situation it is resetting to defaults as it cannot find the settings for some reason. If I fully remove the WTF file I get a similar if not same error, so perhaps somewhere along the line it freaks out as it cannot locate the settings and decides to recreate them.
What I find odd is that I have many toons, and on some this issue never happens. The fonts stay the same and have from day one of the install.

01-07-10, 07:14 AM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If it's happening on some toons and not on others, you may have a corrupt file in your character's folders. The character folders that are the ones in which have this issue, move (not copy) those folders to the desktop, log back into the game and see if you still have that issue.

01-07-10, 10:50 AM   #18
alverian
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
If it's happening on some toons and not on others, you may have a corrupt file in your character's folders. The character folders that are the ones in which have this issue, move (not copy) those folders to the desktop, log back into the game and see if you still have that issue.
Tried that and it worked for a bit, logged out and back and fonts were small again.

01-09-10, 04:48 PM   #19
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

After reading through this thread, I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of is if you have Vista and WoW is installed in Program Files. A lot of wacky things happen when WoW is installed there. I'm not even sure that it's a file permissions issue either because it's not constant. I simply have no idea.

01-09-10, 05:06 PM   #20
alverian
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
After reading through this thread, I'm at a loss. The only thing I can think of is if you have Vista and WoW is installed in Program Files. A lot of wacky things happen when WoW is installed there. I'm not even sure that it's a file permissions issue either because it's not constant. I simply have no idea.
Nope I am running XP Pro, and so far it looks like it was just my bank toon having the issue the most. I deleted her and made another and so far it has stayed the same, may have been an issue with her files. Will keep an eye out for it on the others and report back.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » chat font size