05-27-10, 01:42 PM   #1
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Question noob needs help

Hiya people

i've been browsing through every guide and every single topic on the openrdx old forum, but i can't seem to find an answer to this:

after some tinkering i found out how to create a new artframe, however i can't seem to get it onto my desktop.

maybe i did something wrong and here's the steps i followed:

1) open package explorer
2) create new package
3) create new object "artframe"
4) edit the new object so it has a "base frame" and a "texture"
5) pick a random image from the mediapack just to try it out :P

but i can't find it back, it doesn't show up anywhere. Can anyone help with this? Coz this is the only thing standing in my way for modifying the desktop to my liking
05-27-10, 03:02 PM   #2
unlimit
Lookin' Good

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It looks like you're missing a couple of steps actually, I'll create a youtube video on this for you later tonight.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
05-27-10, 03:54 PM   #3
Kcori
A Black Drake
Try this..... i think this is what you're looking for......
http://www.openrdx.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=20
05-27-10, 04:18 PM   #4
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

actually, thats not what i'm looking for but it will come in handy once i start to put custom textures into openRDX .

but for the moment, i'm still trying to figure out how everything works with the textures supplied with the mediapack.

for example i'm using the Jugger UI? texture for the bottom part, and i'm using a viewport just as high as the top bit for the actionbars. However, since the art itself isn't in one line, i got a big see through bit on the left and on the right side wich i want to hide by using 3 frames, with a solid black color.

Code:
wanted to draw a simple picture, but alas, bbcode doesn't show it the way i typed it ^^
the empy spots above the viewport i need to work away, so that the viewport and the artwork get more or less streamlined, and my most logical way imho to do it is to create 3 panels wich are solid black.

Now i got an artframe, wich actually is solid black according to the settings i can see, but i can't seem to get it to show on my screen. I tried using the same steps supplied in the "openrdx for dummies" manual wich is based on creating a unitframe, but it didn't really help.

I think if i know how to tackle this part, i'm good to go ^^, but adding my own custom textures, thats not really my point of interest I could as well take the complete easy way out and thats by opening up the tga files, making the opaque parts black and reload the ui, but thats not a challenge, and neither a learning experience

Last edited by contramundi : 05-27-10 at 04:23 PM.
05-28-10, 01:52 AM   #5
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

i think i know what i'm missing in the steps, is it the autoexec script by any chance?

i basically looked into the what impossibleDUI imported as packages/objects and didn't see an autoexec script between them, so didn't know it was needed. But i'll try later today when i'm back at my computer.
05-28-10, 02:47 AM   #6
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Hi,

An artframe is just a definition design.

You need to create a window. Indicate this window as an artframe type, select your artframe.

Your window will appear in the windows list after that.

Sigg
05-28-10, 03:23 AM   #7
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

What i did step by step is the following, and please correct the following steps when doing it wrong

1) open package explorer
2)create new package (so i know wich frames and windows are actually my own custom made).
3) create new object in that package, when having the option the choose what sort of object it should be artframe

After creating this thing in the package explorer i did the following:

1) choose edit
2) ad the "base frame" from the left side panel
3) ad the "texture" from the left side panel

but as far as i've read, i think i'm missing the autoexec script in the newly created package, and i think thats the reason the window doesn't show up in the windowlist.

btw sigg, is it possible to get that floating thing back with the option buttons? the thing shown in the screenshots of the different guides? I loved that from the first time i tried openRDX, i just didn't had the time to figure out all the different things back then, and now i got the time to tinker with it, there's an ugly bar on top of the screen :P
05-28-10, 03:33 AM   #8
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Do this :

1) open package explorer
2) go to your package
3) create new window object in that package
4) Edit the window object

5) Add the feature : Frame: None
6) Add the feature : Art Frame and select your artframe object
7) Add the feature : Single Art Frame

8) Close your window editor

Now Open it on your desktop. You can change the frame: None by other if you want.

Cheers
05-28-10, 03:37 AM   #9
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
btw sigg, is it possible to get that floating thing back with the option buttons? the thing shown in the screenshots of the different guides? I loved that from the first time i tried openRDX, i just didn't had the time to figure out all the different things back then, and now i got the time to tinker with it, there's an ugly bar on top of the screen :P
you can customize this bar and I am adding a fader to that bar

There is also a feature you may not see. On the damage meter window, you have a reduce button in the title. When you click on that button, the window become a icon in the main bar.
05-28-10, 04:49 AM   #10
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

i'm trying to not show the titles where possible the title bars don't really "fit" in the UI i'm trying to build.

been trying out the xp and reputation bar addon for rdx, but i think i'm gonna build that one from scratch as soon as i know how to do the most simple parts . I could disable the title bar from those, but it didn't really hide it, instead i got an semi-faded background. Also i got issues with changing the font colors for them, they seem to revert the changes i made the moment i press on the ok button. And the reputation bar seems to revert any changes back to default, it doesn't wanna get any bigger :P

I'll post a screenshot tonite, should help clarify my main issue as well

about the main bar, it's not that big a problem though, i kind of like the rightclick function to lock/unlock the desktops ^

Last edited by contramundi : 05-28-10 at 04:59 AM.
05-28-10, 04:51 AM   #11
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
instead i got an semi-faded background.
Fixed in the next version.
05-28-10, 09:29 AM   #12
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

woot i know what i did wrong, or missed ^^

i have to make a window as well, and use the artframe i made in that window
05-28-10, 01:54 PM   #13
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

so, now for my next big issue

when using the demonic form on the warlock, i can't seem to figure out how to make bar 1 switch to something else.

I already made a bar no 10 by copying the objects for bar 1, and it works splendidly, but i can't figure out how to make bar 1 turn into bar 10 when in that form.

I'm gonna keep tinkering with it, and i think eventually i will find the solution however if someone could point me in the right direction it would be great.

also as a side note, at the moment every time i try to swap spells and such on the action bars, they get used, is there a way i can swap things around withouth activating them?
06-04-10, 09:30 AM   #14
MNKyDeth
A Theradrim Guardian
I will try to give an example of how to figure the problem out with switching to different bars.

This is the custom bar I use in bar 1. My bar one consists of 1-12 buttons, etc etc.

bar1
[mod:shift] 2; [bar:2] 1; [bar:3] 2; [bar:4] 3; [bonusbar:3] 4; [bonusbar:1,stealth] 8; [bonusbar:1] 6; [bonusbar:5] possess;

When I hold shift my bar1 changes. When I shapeshift into cat or bear form my bar1 changes. When I shift into moonkin or tree of life, my bar1 does not change. When I shift into cat form the bar1 changes. It also changes again if I go into stealth. This allows me to have 12 specific buttons for each form except tree of life and moonkin form. The reason for this, is that these two forms and the default caster form all can cast the same spells. So I don't need a specific change to my spell layout on my bars.

Each shifted form of the druid conforms to a specific number 1,2,3,4. This is also true for shadow form on the priest, stances on the warrior, even stealth on the rogue. So changing the numbers around can get a bit tricky.

[bar:2] is a specific druid form. The number after [bar:2] is the number 1. This means use row 1 of numbers. Wich in my case is 1-12. remember Wow has 120 total buttons. So if I was to put [bar:2] 5; this would essentially tell form 2 (whatever it is, cat, bear or whatever) to use the 5th set of numbers, buttons 49-60.

The above scenario changes if you use smaller bars or larger bars. Say you use 6 buttons on a bar. [bar:2] 5; would then be buttons 25-30.

So, from the above information we know that each stance, or shift on any character in the game has a number. The number goes inside the brackets. [bar:2] or [bar:3] etc, etc. It just depends how many forms are required for the specific toon you play. We also then know that the number after the brackets [bar:2] 1; tells us what buttons to use on our bar for that specific form.

If I am wrong about this information someone please correct me.

In the end, you could always just do [bar:2] 1; and try it out. If it does not have the desired result, go back in and edit the line to say [bar:2] 2; then [bar:2] 3; and so on until you reach the desired effect.

If you want to get a bit more complex with multi-shifting bars here is my bar 2 example. I use 3 bars in my UI bar1 and bar2, bar 10 I have off to the side of the screen for extra stuff.

bar2
[mod:shift] 2; [bar:2] 1; [bar:3] 2; [bar:4] 3; [bonusbar:3] 4; [bonusbar:1] 6;

You can make even more bars change when shifting into other stances or forms but I find 24 specific buttons for each form to be plenty.
Also, if anyone uses my custom bar modifiers I highly suggest first going into your default key binds and removing all the shift+1 through shift+6 key bindings. If you don't and you hit shift+4 and you notice that your bar is messed up hit shift+1 to fix it again. And then go unbind the shift+# keys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caster.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	4359  Click image for larger version

Name:	tree.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	4360  Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftbar1n2.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	4361  Click image for larger version

Name:	bar1n2bear.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	4362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bar1n2kitty.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	4363  Click image for larger version

Name:	bar1stealth.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	4364  

Last edited by MNKyDeth : 06-04-10 at 10:02 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » OpenRDX » OpenRDX Community » OpenRDX: Community Chat » noob needs help