03-01-10, 11:43 AM   #1
Chmee
A Molten Giant
raiding addons

I'm in a casual raiding guild. Some of my guildies are pushing to require oRA2 or CTr (or both) as a tool for managing the "assist" function - getting all the DPS on the same target. It seems to me that this function is already available in nUI (with the "target" button on each raid member's unit frame), so I'm trying to argue against requiring more addons that (for me anyway) aren't needed (at least afaics).

So, for the raiders here: is adding one of both of these addons useful to someone using nUI? Should they be required? What do they give that nUI doesn't? If I'm on the right track, how should I argue against the requirement?
03-04-10, 06:34 AM   #2
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
I'm in a casual raiding guild. Some of my guildies are pushing to require oRA2 or CTr (or both) as a tool for managing the "assist" function - getting all the DPS on the same target. It seems to me that this function is already available in nUI (with the "target" button on each raid member's unit frame), so I'm trying to argue against requiring more addons that (for me anyway) aren't needed (at least afaics).

So, for the raiders here: is adding one of both of these addons useful to someone using nUI? Should they be required? What do they give that nUI doesn't? If I'm on the right track, how should I argue against the requirement?
Well, can always just make a macro that does

/assist <tank's name> and put it in a hotkey. Don't need an addon for that at all

Marth

03-04-10, 06:36 AM   #3
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
One raiding addon I'd say would be a necessity is Deadly Boss Mods (there are others similar) - all of the phase changes, timers for boss abilities, etc, are really needed IMO.

Marth

03-04-10, 08:44 AM   #4
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I agree that DBM or something similar is a necessity. That's not the issue, though. The issue is that I feel that (1) the idea should be to require everyone in the raid to have particular functionality, rather than a specific mod, and (2) I suspect that all or most of the functionality provided by oRA2 or some similar mod is already in nUI. If I'm wrong about (2), then I suppose that (1) is moot.
03-06-10, 03:10 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
Well, can always just make a macro that does

/assist <tank's name> and put it in a hotkey. Don't need an addon for that at all
Better yet, there are two simple macros (cuz I got tired of redoing names for assist macro's) that never need to be edited.

Click on the tanks unit frame, then click on your macro...
/setfocus

and to clear it...

/clearfocus

This sets the tank as focus and puts her/his unit frame right where the mini map normally sits, in the middle of the bottom panel for viewing ease. Then you have that sweet little red "Target" button (one of my FAV nUI features!) right by their picture that you can click on to assist.

03-07-10, 11:01 AM   #6
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Yeah, that's good, Petrah.

Let me try this again, though: what does oRA2 do for me that nUI doesn't already do?
03-15-10, 04:17 PM   #7
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Ora2 and CTR are both very powerful raiding tools actually and honestly very little of it is recreated in nUI. Now that is not to say you can not raid without it obviously but both if used properly will help in raid management and just make things easier for the people running the raid in general. Here's a list of CTR and Ora2's features here: http://old.wowace.com/wiki/ORA2

03-24-10, 05:43 PM   #8
Bacardii
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

nUI+ user here, raiding with ora2.

our tanks get placed on ora

= ease of targeting for dps when they are told to focus on <insertnamehere> target

= ease of healers picking up heals on a tank when the assigned healer goes down

For some fights a hunter or other range dps might be added to the ora2 listing, so that others can be told to switch to that picked up add (think Snobolds in TOC)

~ I'm sure there are other functions to it, but thats about as far as my involvement goes.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » raiding addons