01-09-10, 05:52 PM   #1
RavenSaint
A Murloc Raider
A little slow in the execution

New to nUI. My husband (using nUI from Curse) noticed that there is a little bit of a lag between activation of the ability to the execution of the ability since the last patch. He wasn't sure if that was Bliz/compatibility issue or just a minor bug that came up with the last patch changes/updates?

Here are the addons we use for RP servers (most of these are popular with majority of RPers):
(incase there is addon compatibility issues for RP addons)
My Roleplay (MRP, Others are FLAG and IRP)
Tongues
NotesUNeed
Cartographer
Gatherer
Considerator (Gear comparison and suggestion addon)
Mapnotes (Mapmod adding map icon libraries and more details to mapnotes)
Raidtracker (Guild Raid Loot tracker and attendance addon)
Nirriti's ActionColorButtons (very old Addon, had it for 4 years now and it still works)
Deadly Boss Mods
zBar3 (unused, currently awaiting updates for the Mod as the project has been dropped by Zerofire 1/2009, I was one of the US testers for it, but it was hard to talk between the Japanese/Chinese net and US/EU net, was a nice light UI mod that allowed for moving, resizing, and customization of the Actionbars removing the clutter of the UI frames and graphics, miss it alot for my casters)

01-09-10, 06:09 PM   #2
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Any lag between activating the ability and it being used would be on the latency side of things, which would normally be between you and your ISP. Though I did notice alot of lag last night and our server crashed 2 or 3 times (Twisting Nether) so there is always that possibility too.

As a side note: Nirriti's ActionColorButtons if im not mistaken this mod colors your buttons for out of range and out of mana situations correct? If so nUI has that functionality built in as well as quite a few others.

01-10-10, 03:41 PM   #3
Thander
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
Any lag between activating the ability and it being used would be on the latency side of things, which would normally be between you and your ISP. Though I did notice alot of lag last night and our server crashed 2 or 3 times (Twisting Nether) so there is always that possibility too.
Based on the description it seems like she is seeing UI lag, not internet lag. Normal operation
1. You click a button
2. The client starts the animation
3. The client sends a request to server to ensure you are allowed to use that ability.
4. The client stops or leaves the animation alone depending on whether the server response says it is allowed or not.

The same situation with UI lag
1. You click a button
2. There is a perceived delay between the click and when the animation starts.
3. The client sends a request to server
4. an so on like normal operation.
The difference here being there is some client side lag with the input system before it even gets to the point of sending messages across the internet.

I can only think of two reasons:
1. One of the addons is causing problems with bad interface code or general inefficient code. An addon that watches all button presses and does some calculations each time could do this.
2. Anti-virus might be able to cause something like this if it is watching & processing all key presses and other input before it gets to the game. In addition to clean programs, there can be viruses and malware that do this.

You can try the Reduce Input Lag option, although I have heard it causes the overall framerate to go down.

01-12-10, 12:51 AM   #4
Jasmer
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is an option under Video settings to reduce input lag but as Thander said it can drastically lower your framerates. You can turn the multisampling (antialiasing) down if you have it maxed out, 4x should be sufficient unless you're on a large screen. If you're on an LCD type monitor disable vertical sync and triple buffering, they'll only throttle your framerates. If you're on an older CRT monitor and have your refresh rate set high then enabling these two settings can IMPROVE frame rates. Also consider taking shadow quality down a notch or overall graphics quality down a notch if you can to make up for the performance hit.

01-12-10, 07:22 AM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jasmer View Post
If you're on an LCD type monitor disable vertical sync and triple buffering, they'll only throttle your framerates.
Ravensaint; do not disable vsync.

Quoted from Datth:
"Vsync sets a cap so that your video card does not try to draw faster than what the monitor can display. If the images are displayed a bit too fast, your monitor may show symptoms of tearing - two images overlapping, one section is a bit more updated than the other. Vsync can also give your processor and video card a bit more breathing room by not forcing it to work as hard."

01-13-10, 12:17 PM   #6
Jasmer
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Ravensaint; do not disable vsync.

Quoted from Datth:
"Vsync sets a cap so that your video card does not try to draw faster than what the monitor can display. If the images are displayed a bit too fast, your monitor may show symptoms of tearing - two images overlapping, one section is a bit more updated than the other. Vsync can also give your processor and video card a bit more breathing room by not forcing it to work as hard."
I keep vsync and triple buffer disabled. I often get nearly triple the FPS with NO screen anomaly. Only enable if you get screen tearing.

01-13-10, 01:34 PM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I play with vsync disabled, as well.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-14-10, 05:13 AM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's fine for you, but as long as the OP is having issues it needs to remain on.

01-14-10, 10:05 AM   #9
LadySilverwolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Question ... MRP question ...

Originally Posted by RavenSaint View Post
..... {snip}.....

Here are the addons we use for RP servers (most of these are popular with majority of RPers):
(incase there is addon compatibility issues for RP addons)
My Roleplay (MRP, Others are FLAG and IRP)
.... {snip}.....
Hey RavenSaint !!

I noticed you mentioned MRP. Have you also noticed where the MRP button is on the UI? I am trying to figure out if I have a fluke issue or not.

From all appearances, it seems my MPR still remains near the top of the screen, where the Target Frame used to be. Does it do the same thing for you?

01-14-10, 10:56 AM   #10
RavenSaint
A Murloc Raider
Smile

Originally Posted by LadySilverwolf View Post
Hey RavenSaint !!

I noticed you mentioned MRP. Have you also noticed where the MRP button is on the UI? I am trying to figure out if I have a fluke issue or not.

From all appearances, it seems my MPR still remains near the top of the screen, where the Target Frame used to be. Does it do the same thing for you?
Yes. I did see the Button for the MRP up near where it usually shows up with the old Target was. It doesn't bother me being up there since when I am RPing is the only time I really pay any attention to the MRP target information button.

Tongues and NotesUNeed have moveable menus so they are very compatible with the nUI. I've slowly been removing Addons that have a alternative in the nUI options. Nirriti's is the oldest Addon I have so even though it still works and has low information usage, I was happy to be able to disable it and not have problems with ranged attacks vs melee.

01-14-10, 05:58 PM   #11
LadySilverwolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Smile

Originally Posted by RavenSaint View Post
Yes. I did see the Button for the MRP up near where it usually shows up with the old Target was. It doesn't bother me being up there since when I am RPing is the only time I really pay any attention to the MRP target information button.
I used to use x-perl, and the addon moved the button where ever I moved the target frame. I am just used to being able to do a glance at the target frame to see if the individual had MRP (or similar addons), so having it at the top of the screen is almost out of the 'glancing' range so to speak.

One of these days, (once I settle into my new job) I will head over to MRP and make a mention of this. Thanks for info!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » A little slow in the execution