12-20-07, 12:32 AM   #1
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
My First UI

I "think" I have just finished my first UI. However, I'm not sure how to tell or not, and am wondering if I should go ahead and post it with a notice saying that it might not work right, and to please leave comments if it doesn't. I have looked at a couple dozen UIs, and think I've included everything that is needed, but I'm not sure how to test it.

Please give me any advice you have.

Thanks.
12-20-07, 01:44 AM   #2
iljott
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Well, littlebuddha79 (cool name by the way! ) you can always post a few screenshots of your UI and get some feedback from the community. I'd include screenshots with solo, party and raid layouts, perhaps in action and out of action, and maybe a couple with some windows open (if you have addons which modify the default Blizzard frames such as an all-in-one bag, etc...). That way people can give you some feedback about what they like or not.
12-20-07, 08:46 AM   #3
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Here is Solo Shot

With a few autohide bars.

Party Setup

Actual Party (4th Party Member would be on the left, above the other)

I'm working on getting a few Action shots with my MSBT and all, but here's a look at what I've done so far.

Let me know what you think, and give any suggestions you might have.

I know some of you might notice the high memory usage. Most of that is the settings I have to remember data (Aloft is set to remember everyone's data I have ever moused over) and Gatherer Databases that are loaded. It most likely wouldn't be near that number without these things loaded up.
12-20-07, 10:29 AM   #4
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Here are a couple Combat Pics with the "OH-Crap" Potion buttons that show up in combat.

MSBT Scrolling areas

In Combat

I do not have any raid addons yet because I don't raid much yet. What I am looking for is a good raid addon like Grid that looks good, and does not obstruct the screen much, and that lets healers do click healing like Healbot Continued does. Would like to be able to just click on a raid member to heal them instead of clicking on them and then having to either click another button or hit a key. I take my healing very seriously...don't like when people in my group die.

Any suggestions would be great.
12-20-07, 10:38 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Interesting... You've got some good elements in there and some new ideas. But your ToT overlaps your pet bar, your minimap buttons take up more room than they have to (some of those can be hidden, as well), your party frames seem too spread out, and I think there are a couple spots that seem a bit cluttered. Also, this is my opinion (I don't even use nameplates anyway ) but your name plates could be thinner - atm they seem to take up more room than they need to, and thus take up screen-estate. Oh - and change the bar texture on EBBs to match your other frames, and fix your stance bar - it's hanging out in the middle of nowhere.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-20-07, 10:56 AM   #6
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Seerah
Interesting... You've got some good elements in there and some new ideas. But your ToT overlaps your pet bar, your minimap buttons take up more room than they have to (some of those can be hidden, as well), your party frames seem too spread out, and I think there are a couple spots that seem a bit cluttered. Also, this is my opinion (I don't even use nameplates anyway ) but your name plates could be thinner - atm they seem to take up more room than they need to, and thus take up screen-estate. Oh - and change the bar texture on EBBs to match your other frames, and fix your stance bar - it's hanging out in the middle of nowhere.
The ToT Frame/Petbar overlap isn't really a problem for my application, because the petbar is hidden until mouseover, so doesn't show normaly. I never use it durring combar, so not really a problem for me. I figure if users don't like it there it's simple to move. I am still tweaking my party frames. Ideally, I would LOVE to find a unit frame mod that allows for vertical Health/Mana/Power/Energy bars. Haven't found one yet. (IF YOU KNOW OF ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!) And thanks to the new SL addon I am reconfiguring my Minimap Buttons and my info frames, thus making a better spot for my class bar. Will post new pics soon. Might take longer for the party pics because it's hard to find 4 people in the same spot to join group just to take a screenshot.
12-20-07, 11:27 AM   #7
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Thanks for the input. I've fixed a few things that you've mentioned. I think it looks a bit better now. I am still not messing with my party frames because they work for now...I'm stubborn and am going to wait and see if there is a vertical Health/etc... bar out there. If not I might even obsess and spend the next month learning programming language and write one myself. (That'll make my girlfriend happy...one more thing to cause me to "ignore her" LOL.)

Last edited by littlebuddha79 : 12-20-07 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Gorgot to attach a picture
12-20-07, 11:46 AM   #8
iljott
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Quite a nice UI you've got going there. I agree with most of the comments which Seerah's posted though - the party frames might make a healer's job slightly more difficult since they're spread out.

I agree with you about having vertical HP/mana/rage/energy bars which would enable you to get rid of the HUD which in my opinion clutter up the screen.

I personally prefer an extra few buttons in my own setup - I would include another bar myself - maybe by just shrugging everything up slightly, making the XP bar a little bit thinner and moving the fubar items somewhere else (but I'm not sure where at this time).

I might be tempted to make the player and target 3D UFs slightly smaller and then, I'd be able to move the stance bar directly underneath the player UF which would make some space for the 3rd button bar I mentioned before

Other than that, I really like your UI! Keep it up! Just out of curiosity, what resolution are you using?
12-20-07, 11:48 AM   #9
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

Out of curiosity what is the bar up the top that auto hides and also what mod brings up the buttons on combat the ones you call oh crap potion buttons lol. oh one last thing what mod do you use for the healing buttons beside party members unit frames? Thanks I think it is coming along great
12-20-07, 12:54 PM   #10
Danior
An Aku'mai Servant
The healing buttons are an addon called HealerButtons

What tool tip is being used?
12-20-07, 01:00 PM   #11
Dazz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I really like this... Could you please post what you have so far? I'd like to see if I can customize it to fit my hunter.
12-20-07, 01:03 PM   #12
Danior
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by littlebuddha79
Ideally, I would LOVE to find a unit frame mod that allows for vertical Health/Mana/Power/Energy bars. Haven't found one yet. (IF YOU KNOW OF ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!)
Mazzle UI uses Vertical Health/Energy bars. The UnitFrame addon is DUF. Dunno how he did it though, as when I look at DUF my head spins around...
12-20-07, 01:11 PM   #13
Dazz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Here is the link to DUF http://discord.tetzfiles.com/ those will allow vertical health/mana bars.
12-20-07, 02:18 PM   #14
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
DUF is here now.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
12-20-07, 02:32 PM   #15
Dazz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
DUF is here now.
oh snap... didn't know that. Thanks! I really miss DAB, but it looks like they have updated it... going to check it out now!
12-20-07, 03:48 PM   #16
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by JaceDaAce
Out of curiosity what is the bar up the top that auto hides and also what mod brings up the buttons on combat the ones you call oh crap potion buttons lol. oh one last thing what mod do you use for the healing buttons beside party members unit frames? Thanks I think it is coming along great
Originally Posted by Danior
What tool tip is being used?

For the bar up top and the buttons that only show during combat, I use Trinity bars (used for all bars).

And the tooltip is TipTac. I have been going back and forth between TipTac and CowTip, but like TipTac better because it's more simple for quick easy info. Cowtip is too hard to focus in on one specific piece of info if you are in a hurry. (my opinion)

I'll be posting a few more pics later tonight probably after I get done with DUF. I think I'm going to like the results and hope you do too.
12-20-07, 04:13 PM   #17
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The nice thing about Cowtip is that you can have it show you whatever you want it to (and get rid of what you don't need to see). But everyone has their own preference.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-20-07, 06:59 PM   #18
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Ok, i've been working on it for hours, and this is what I have so far.

I also have done my party frames, but have not seen them in action yet because I cannot find 4 friends in the same spot to join a group, and strangers of Azeroth and Outland are not being too helpful this evening. I will post party picture when I get it taken.
12-20-07, 07:31 PM   #19
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Finally got a party together.

12-20-07, 07:42 PM   #20
Dazz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I really like this UI... Please post a download as soon as you can.

What mod are you using for your artwork (the black area) on the bottom and your 3d portraits?

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » My First UI