10-16-08, 07:38 PM   #41
divstator
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
As for DUF...maybe we should examine creating our own Frame library; IMHO, I don't want to have to rely on another add-on for core functionality (because, let's be honest, projects do die).
I think it might be best to make a 2 prong attack on this. Use all the 3rd party addons we can to get it back up and running and then work redesigning the core. As you said projects do die. It'd be nice to get Mazzle on as consultant so if there were things that he wanted done and not left out we could address that. Nobody can be altruistic forever and shouldn't be expected to, but it'd be nice know what he would prefer.

I think as far as the action bars go, that they should probably not be in the core, that's not to say that they shouldn't be able to be "mazzified" but they should be able to be swapped for a different bar addon with a minimal amount of fuss.

The context menu could more or less be recreated using a couple of action bars and tying it to the hotspot (I like those hotspots!).
10-16-08, 08:21 PM   #42
Brem
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by divstator View Post
I think it might be best to make a 2 prong attack on this. Use all the 3rd party addons we can to get it back up and running and then work redesigning the core. As you said projects do die. It'd be nice to get Mazzle on as consultant so if there were things that he wanted done and not left out we could address that. Nobody can be altruistic forever and shouldn't be expected to, but it'd be nice know what he would prefer.

I think as far as the action bars go, that they should probably not be in the core, that's not to say that they shouldn't be able to be "mazzified" but they should be able to be swapped for a different bar addon with a minimal amount of fuss.

The context menu could more or less be recreated using a couple of action bars and tying it to the hotspot (I like those hotspots!).
As about the only person posting in this thread who has worked with Mazzle in the past, I've taken the liberty of sending a PM to him asking some of these very questions.

As for the bar, one of the deal-breakers for me is not having my buttons auto placed & bound. And for that to exist, I'm thinking we're going to have to tie ourselves to one barmod (either one wholly written by the team or a selected 3rd party one). In the interest of getting this done quickly I suggest going 3rd party for now. To that end, I think the real choices are Dominoes (written by the Bongos author), Macaroon (Trinity replacement, written by the same author) or Bartender. We probably need someone to take a look at each of these, compare with what Mazzle currently does and find the closest "replacement."

It does not appear that either the context menu nor the hotspots rely on anything other than some clever coding from Mazzle. It appears that both of these, while not trivial, are completely composed of frames and other objects composed on the fly programmatically with art textures overlaid. Probably those two are the least of the worries.

-----------------
MazzleUI Beta Tester
10-16-08, 08:24 PM   #43
fyrye
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Having been one of the people who helped fix Mazzle in previous updates and diving into the mazzifier code I ended up giving up and seeking alternative addons to replace those that had died or been upgraded, which inadvertantly broke mazzle further.
I since created my own addon compilation where the setup process was done outside of WoW and share it with only a few select friends (I enjoy playing wow not fixing bugs).

eePanels can be used to create hotspots
I switched out DuF for Pitbull
Upgraded Bongos to Dominos as I can still use the /Dominos toggle bags command in my hotspots
Switched out ItemRack for Outfitter
Used ElectrofluxTextronator for the Artwork and copied the Banzai Gradiant for aggro
All the while replacing addons that died along the way with working equivilants.

As a warning to all of you still using moveFrames from mazzle, Curse has an outdated version so I'll post my updated code here for those who need to re-fix it or add it to the MazzleUI
Red text = text to add

Line 79-80
Code:
 --self:Hook("MovePanelToCenter", "MovePanelToCenter", true)
--self:Hook("MovePanelToLeft", "MovePanelToLeft", true)
Line 350-357
Code:
  --local point, relativeTo, relativePoint, xoff, yoff = f:GetPoint()
 local xoff = f:GetLeft()
 local yoff = f:GetTop()
 local xtrue = UIParent:GetLeft()
 local ytrue = UIParent:GetTop()
 frameInfo.x = xoff - xtrue
 frameInfo.y = yoff - ytrue
end
It's still at times buggy when initially clicking a frame, but still serves its purpose for me.
10-16-08, 10:19 PM   #44
mcdadrom
A Murloc Raider
WoW UI Designer

I'm just a huge fan trying to help while surfing ideas on a new UI i found this website. Its a very useful tool i think. Its a tool designed to make custom UIs. Please get it working again. PLEASE!!! I love Mazzle

http://addon.hotwow.com/addon/addon_66.html
10-17-08, 02:32 AM   #45
Real2Reel
A Defias Bandit
I'm one of the many "coders but not yet LUA enabled" and willing to help.

From what I can see, throwing away Mazzle would be a huge waste of time. Rewriting other libraries and addons falls into the same category at least in the short term and reality is, once the UI works everyone is off playing until the next patch breaks something so, for want of a better phrase, "3rd-party libraries are the go" (until broken beyond repair).

Once again, from what I've looked at so far fixing the mazzle UI should be a matter (not trivial but certainly not re-writeworthy) of bringing it into spec with the 3.02 API changes and finding/replacing/discarding 3rd-party addons as required.

major Issues seem to be mostly to do with this to self (and args), font object changes for buttons and finding a way of replacing removed generic API calls with their (mostly unit) replacements (there's another one, FrameDropdowns or something). For mine, the this/self is the biggest hurdle but that's proabaly more my lack of syntactical understanding at this cursory stage.

(I haven't looked at the Mazzifier but it should be fixable as anything Mazzle_UI can marshall, Mazzifier should be able to pre-configure).

There are working 3.02 version of most of the major must have "dependencies" like DUF, Autobar,oRA2,sraifFrames etc. and a bunch of the old ones still seem to work. Maz just needs to ba able to marshall them back into the fanstastic interface we all know and love.

I'll be spending some time this weekend trying to work on and learning Maz as well as addon hunting and I'll bring any insights and progress back here.

Real2Reel
So, I'm an optimist, shoot me... eerr no wait.

Last edited by Real2Reel : 10-17-08 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Uckfing Ingfers
10-17-08, 03:09 AM   #46
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Brem View Post

As for the art, that was also a Discord Mod (DART, IIRC). Not having looked at the updates you posted (yet), I'm unsure if this is being fixed as well.
In that forum, one claimed, DART works as always.

That would be very very nice to beeing able to the the viewport + the awsome Mazzle Art to work.

Update on DUF:

--> http://underworldexodus.com/forum/files/DUF.zip

+

http://underworldexodus.com/forum/files/LIB.zip

They both have "3.0.2b" as the update number. I'm at work, can't try. But that should work.

Last edited by Sarkan-ZdC : 10-17-08 at 03:36 AM.
10-17-08, 03:56 AM   #47
Real2Reel
A Defias Bandit
Not sure about the URLs you posted (and truly not being derogatory) at:
http://www.worldofmodcraft.com/forum/

You can DL Discord Unit Frames (3.0.2b)
and
Discord Library (3.0.2b)

(need both).

with the exception of the HUD (which needs work) Mazzle (2.4.x) seems to marshall this verion of DUF correctly without modification

Real2Reel

Last edited by Real2Reel : 10-17-08 at 04:28 AM. Reason: consistancy
10-17-08, 05:02 AM   #48
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Same HP I say.

http://underworldexodus.com/forum/ ist the same as: http://www.worldofmodcraft.com/forum/

The (probably *g*) registered both adresses.

But good that you tried this out!

One of TEH most important parts of the UI is the unique Unit-Frames. If they work one thing of the core of mazzle UI IS working.

Next would be DART (or EEPanels2/KGPanels) to get the art to work (with Hot-Spots and so on). HUD would be important next I'll say.

Mazzlefier after that. But the core is the basic layout.
10-17-08, 05:08 AM   #49
Sarkan-ZdC
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by McBean View Post
I'm no coder by nature, but rather a project manager. If you need some help with organization, defining scope and priortization - I'm more than willing to help with the work and test whatever is needed.

If not, I'll graciously back out of the thread and just keep my eyes open on the status of a revamp.

What's not clear to me is the consensus direction. Is it easier to strip down existing Mazzle infrastructure and modernize what's in place, or are we looking at all new source code with some public wiki for dev/mods/etc? There are pros and cons to each roadmap.

--McBean

Question: How about giving McBean really the lead?

And then you know, there is some coders here in this thread, just start with it.

I (who is N0 coder) would say, it is faster to update then to re-write. Even though, re-write has its merits for sure.

But somebody who opens a project saying

We need:

DUF (to do this and that)
HUD (having this error and that not working)
Geist (that button-menu to appear under youre mouse)
Art (working/not working)
Action Bars (Mazzlefier)
Mazzlefier itself

and so on. Who just names the issues and then the get fixed by one of the coders.

Curse-Forge has a ticket system, something like that. Some open issues with descriptions and people to fix that.
10-17-08, 09:32 AM   #50
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Wink Day 4

Day 4 without Mazzle and I'm starting to get cranky.

If we're going to do something, let's do it. Let's get started. Let's decide either to fix what's there or to re-write from the ground up. I seriously don't care which, but let's all get together and decide on it once and for all. Then, let's divvy up tasks, get coding and get Mazzle up and running again.

I can't play without Mazzle (default ui? Heck no!!); I've looked at the other UI's out there and they either are not quite ready (SpartanUI doesn't work right on my display -- bars are messed up, the chat window is overlapping my screen, etc.) or use up 1/3 of my screen (or more) leaving me a tiny hole to try to figure out what's happening (and, yes, nUI I'm talking about you).

So...have we chatted enough? Let's move forward!!
10-17-08, 10:06 AM   #51
dropper
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Mixsae View Post

If we're going to do something, let's do it. Let's get started. Let's decide either to fix what's there or to re-write from the ground up. I seriously don't care which, but let's all get together and decide on it once and for all. Then, let's divvy up tasks, get coding and get Mazzle up and running again.

I can't play without Mazzle (default ui? Heck no!!); I've looked at the other UI's out there and they either are not quite ready (SpartanUI doesn't work right on my display -- bars are messed up, the chat window is overlapping my screen, etc.) or use up 1/3 of my screen (or more) leaving me a tiny hole to try to figure out what's happening (and, yes, nUI I'm talking about you).

Your comments are NOT needed. Mazzle, could you please delete both that post and this one?

Keith
10-17-08, 12:38 PM   #52
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Angry

Originally Posted by dropper View Post
Your comments are NOT needed. Mazzle, could you please delete both that post and this one?

Keith
Perhaps you misunderstood. I've been offering my services for 4 days now...but all we're doing about Mazzle at this point is talking about what we're planning to do. I'm impatient to get started, whether it is repairing Mazzle or re-writing it. My comment (see above, if not deleted) was an intent to comically say "Let's get started working on this."

So...let's get started; I'm eager to help in whatever capacity I can.

Last edited by Mixsae : 10-17-08 at 12:51 PM.
10-17-08, 02:20 PM   #53
Ironfather
A Murloc Raider
Two very key points:

1) Over the next couple of days, we need to decide whether we want to patch MazzleUI - in which case we have to work by his approval and rules (there is some back ground email to substantiate this) and we are not going to be adding any new features - just making the ones it has work, even if by replacing non-core addons.

If rather than patch MazzleUI we want to evolve it, we need to respect that Mazzle does not - will not - give permission to release any of his code under our own thing. He never has, and never will. This is not the forum for a political debate about that. Mazzle has been consistent all along in this regard. If we are adding features or releasing a replacement for MazzleUI - we are writing it from scratch - or at least not using his code anywhere in ours.

2) In so far as team formation, McBean and I are co-handling the management in the background. Brem is technical directing. Everyone else is hammering and building to different levels of participation with Erogroth herding the cats. It is currently a very flat organization - no one trumps anyone else. Someone minds the goal while someone else scores in the other goal - neither are more important than the other.

Anyone else wanting to shift their names into one of these three buckets:

1. Management
2. Architecture
3. Construction

tell me so. Here or you can also email me at Ironfather AT gmail.

Management includes admin (like web hosting and version control should we need it if we go down that new product branch). Construction includes testing - you will stand under the bridge you built while we drive over it to test it.

We'll send out work segments and let folks volunteer to take pieces on. HOWEVER, the first task at hand is to inventory what IS working and what is NOT working in MazzleUI under the 3.0.2 patch.

The second task (most likely after understanding what is not working and how much work it will be to make it work) is to decide if we are patching MazzleUI or starting anew.

I'll start two new threads in the forum, one to list what IS working, and one to list what is NOT working (and suitable replacement strategies if you have those in mind).

Thanks-

Ironfather.

Last edited by Ironfather : 10-17-08 at 02:32 PM.
10-17-08, 03:10 PM   #54
erogroth
A Cyclonian

Spartan is no Mazzle but its a good replacement for now. The reason the bars are messed up is you have to go into your video settings and check the UI scale and turn it all the way down. Then type /sui maxres the /console reloadui. Then the bars should work. Still if you don't have wide screen there is not much room on the bottom for your chat and combat logs.
10-17-08, 04:32 PM   #55
dizzy49
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I was actually trying out nUI on my other account a bit to see how it was. While it is decent, I found the UI itself to take up WAY too much room (it uses almost 1/3 of the bottom, AND it also have stuff at the top). The functionality was extremely minimal by itself. I had to find and add additional add-ons to do basic things that I felt should have been no-brainer includes.

As far as re-write vs patch. I've been on both sides of that argument in different projects I've worked on. I think that Mazzle *COULD* be patched in a reasonable amount of time using quick and dirty (ie kind of what's been done for quite some time now)... BUT, as a few people have said, 3.0.2 is a pretty big Milestone, and there are so many things that need updated, replaced or removed for various reasons. Personally, as much as I love Mazzle, I'd be willing to wait a little longer for a re-write that would be more stable, with a much easier upgrade path in the future. We need to think long-term here, not just appeal to the people complaining who will prob just find something else if they don't have a fix w/in 48 hours anyway.

Yes, I am a programmer (no LUA experience), unfortunately I'm also a single father working full time and going to school full time, so I don't really have the time to dedicate, otherwise I would in a second. I will contribute any way I can though, I can test, give input, buy hot pockets, etc

10-17-08, 04:37 PM   #56
dizzy49
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Someone else posted something ArkiveUI in another thread. I checked it out real quick, it looks decent (not working either though).

One thing he did have was an element template posted. I think that's a pretty good idea to lay out the elements. Mazzle switched between different views (Solo, Party, Raid) nicely, and IIRC there were multiple raid views. I think that a template for each view would be very handy during the development process, as well as to the end user. It should help figure out what options you have for various add-ons.

10-17-08, 05:54 PM   #57
Mixsae
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Lightbulb

Count me in for Construction/Architecture...however, I've been picking apart Mazzle for the past few days -- so I would violate a corporate "clean room" scenario if that's what this comes to.

As for patching Mazzle -- a friend of mine and I were talking about this on two sides of the same fence. He thought it made sense to ignore Mazzle at first and find out which of the add-ons works, which don't and is being replaced and which is DOA. My thought was to download Mazzle core and fix it first and then add add-ons. Don't know which way works best -- I think they both have things to say for them...

If Mazzle can be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, that would be the best use of our time...however, we're not going to know if it can be fixed until we try to fix it, which means we could put all this time into the interface only to find out it can't be easily patched. Not sure about that.

While I am positive we all respect Mazzle's wishes on not using his code, perhaps we could hire him on as a consultant (still not using his code) to help us when we get stuck?

On a different topic altogether, I highly recommend the "World of Warcraft Programming" book by James Whitehead II, Bryan McLemore and Matthew Orlando, published by Wiley. I learned more by reading the first few chapters than I have in the last 4 days...

There is also a companion website which looks really good and updates the book to include changes in 3.0.2 (I think).
10-17-08, 06:19 PM   #58
tribesmandan12
A Kobold Labourer

Smile Thanks

Hey guys I really hope you all can get this up and running again, I started playing WoW with Mazzle and I don't know how to play without it so I'm not really playing again until it's back up (hopefully soon!) but thanks for all getting together and putting a battle plan up for this thing. I wish you all the best of luck on patching it up or making a new one from scratch! I will love anyone who can put up MazzleUI for the new patch!!!

Thanks again,
Tribes Man Dan
10-17-08, 06:54 PM   #59
cowboyathome
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I second this thought.

Count me in for Construction/Architecture...however, I've been picking apart Mazzle for the past few days -- so I would violate a corporate "clean room" scenario if that's what this comes to.

As for patching Mazzle -- a friend of mine and I were talking about this on two sides of the same fence. He thought it made sense to ignore Mazzle at first and find out which of the add-ons works, which don't and is being replaced and which is DOA. My thought was to download Mazzle core and fix it first and then add add-ons. Don't know which way works best -- I think they both have things to say for them...

If Mazzle can be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, that would be the best use of our time...however, we're not going to know if it can be fixed until we try to fix it, which means we could put all this time into the interface only to find out it can't be easily patched. Not sure about that.

While I am positive we all respect Mazzle's wishes on not using his code, perhaps we could hire him on as a consultant (still not using his code) to help us when we get stuck?

On a different topic altogether, I highly recommend the "World of Warcraft Programming" book by James Whitehead II, Bryan McLemore and Matthew Orlando, published by Wiley. I learned more by reading the first few chapters than I have in the last 4 days...

There is also a companion website which looks really good and updates the book to include changes in 3.0.2 (I think).
10-17-08, 08:14 PM   #60
fyrye
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Mazzle's core by all means can be fixed.
Though it does rely on several addons.
The biggest DUF has to be fixed, which is a maze in itself outside of MazzleUI.

Bongos would need to be changed to Dominos to provide the same functionalities, then a recode for placing spells into dominos, hotspots, etc.

Banzai would need to be updated which is what gives you the red gradient when you have aggro

But I believe the easiest way to fix MazzleUI at the moment would be to find out which core addons MazzleUI uses, fix/replace them, and then work on the core MazzleUI functionality, such as the Mazzifier, MazzleHUD, etc. Which is how I worked on it in previous patches. The painful process of elimination through so many addons and libraries. All the while WoWAce discontinued its updater.

For those of you looking for a quick fix...
I'm sorry there are none, usually with most patches it takes around two weeks until everything is sorted out, but seeing as this is an expansion release, people are wanting to see the new features as well as fix mazzle as well as other addon developers fixing their addons (Cartographer and Prat being some of the main ones). It will more than likely take longer.
So my advise is to either sit tight and wait for a fix, fix it yourself (as I attempted to do long ago), or find a replacement (which I ended up doing).

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleUI 3.0/WOTLK Devs Only