11-14-08, 10:03 PM   #21
wiseman168
A Murloc Raider
Don't u think would be easy just pay one time flat fee? $14.95 or more? send me the $$ I email you the mod?
11-14-08, 10:23 PM   #22
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by wiseman168 View Post
Don't u think would be easy just pay one time flat fee? $14.95 or more? send me the $$ I email you the mod?
Only a few people I'd trust enough to do this with.. and even though Mazz has been AWOL for awhile in search of better mmos, he tops the list because this is his baby. However, IF Seerah or one of her counterparts gave a thumbs up for it, I'd trust it's worthy of my cash.

The problem with this is, the code would have to be more generic and couldn't include a lot of other mods (those authors would demand removal of their mods from this UI). People get touchy, and have started heated discussions in the past when this subject came up. Good luck getting it to fly.
11-15-08, 03:01 PM   #23
ibnuts
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Baraius View Post
You're missing a market opportunity then. Just guarantee a team of addon developers around $100k a year. Keep the rest for yourself. Retire to a beach with good wireless so you can play WoW. :-)

-Baraius
If I had any knowledge of marketing (apart from common sense) or website development, then I definitely would. I'm currently focused on finishing my biochem/microbiology degree and getting into med school.

Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz View Post

If I thought I could have gotten anywhere remotely close to 1700 people to subscribe per month, I would have done it when I originally proposed it right before I stopped playing WoW. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems highly unlikely. I actually did a poll on it at the time. The results, while encouraging, were nowhere remotely near what you're imagining.
Originally Posted by Arcalyn View Post
You should re-do the POLL now, now that people are standed without the UI.
Its easy for someone to say they wouldn't pay when they are using it ( and it works ) for free. But now that it doesn't work, it be the perfect time to step in and say, "
I agree. No one wants to pay for something they're already getting for free. Also, I submit that the people who take these polls or even who post here are not the only possible market. I have been thinking about this for quite some time (i.e. paying for continued support for UI's) but only posted about this lately. Eventually things would spread through word-of-mouth. For example, Zygor's guide/addon costs $50/faction. I just looked at the members list for his forums and it appears he has as many as ~400 paying customers (correct me if I'm wrong, but I tried registering and it wouldn't let me unless I purchased the guide). Thus, he has made as much as ~$20k.

Maybe if it were a flat fee for each major patch/break. Again, I bring up the example of Zygor (since it's the only instance of a pay addon apart from WoWecon that I am aware of): the 1-70 guide was $50/faction, but he recently released the 70-80 guide, and (according to his website) was going to charge existing customers a small upgrade fee for the 70-80 content, and charge new customers $50 for 1-80. I think that was a bit of a slap in the face to existing customers, and he should've charged at least as much as the combined 1-70+upgrade fee for new customers. However, the lesson in this is that the charge needs to be periodic; whether that's monthly, or whenever a UI-breaking patch comes out, would be up to the author.

My logic for this is that if you just pay a flat fee and want lifetime free updates, that's an unreasonable expectation. The only way the coder has incentive to continue coding (apart from their sense of integrity) is that they will continue receiving periodic payments to do so. This also opens the door to more customers, since a lot of people can't afford/justify a high initial price. In addition, if something comes up in the coder's life and they can't continue with their work, then they're not on the hook forever and no one could be justified in bad-mouthing them for having discontinued development.

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Only a few people I'd trust enough to do this with.. and even though Mazz has been AWOL for awhile in search of better mmos, he tops the list because this is his baby. However, IF Seerah or one of her counterparts gave a thumbs up for it, I'd trust it's worthy of my cash.

The problem with this is, the code would have to be more generic and couldn't include a lot of other mods (those authors would demand removal of their mods from this UI). People get touchy, and have started heated discussions in the past when this subject came up. Good luck getting it to fly.
As far as other mods' authors demanding removal of their code, I have a fairly simple solution: the only charge(s) would be for the Mazzifier/Mazzle-unique code which would be hosted at a private, authenticated site where you enter all your cc/PayPal info etc.; all the other mods could be included as a separate, free download hosted here. Or, to insure that there is a minimal amount of pirating going on, if bandwidth isn't much of an issue, then host the additional addons on the pay site, but with the disclaimer that they are free (If that's possible--I'm unsure as to the laws on this latest suggestion).

Anyway, please put me down if you ever consider this, Mazzle (or anyone you designate to do this--profit sharing perhaps?). I'd pay at least $5/month not to have the hassle of having to re-do all my buttons and everything else everytime there's a big patch. The closest UI that I've found that configures things for you is Arkive, but it's still missing my biggest pet-peeve, which is having to actually place all my buttons and bindings in a logical manner on my 5 (soon to be 8) different toons.
11-15-08, 06:09 PM   #24
Zinazeri
A Murloc Raider
I am not sure how it works, but the Carbonite addon verifies the primary account when there are updates. You have to log in with the primary character you registered with (and on the specific server) for it to fully function.

Again, not sure how they have it working, but at least there are additional examples of this happening and if someone pirates it and shares it with their friends, it will not matter, since it has to be verified in-game.
11-16-08, 01:25 AM   #25
Mellowed
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I know this may seem really spammish, i completely realise that, but please just understand that its late at night right now, and dont have time to read through millions of posts.

But what are the updates on having MazzleUI??
Is it not happening anymore??
Are there actually people trying to make it work as we speak??
If so, is there much progress??
If so, how long you think it will take??

Sorry if this question has been spammed everywhere, but i just really need to know, cant deal with WoW without the mazzleUI .
11-16-08, 03:32 AM   #26
spajdr
A Murloc Raider
So Mazzle you got enough money from people and you will quit WOW? how nice

Last edited by spajdr : 11-27-08 at 01:52 AM.
11-17-08, 06:17 AM   #27
Crothul
A Murloc Raider
lemme put it this way
i regret gettin lich king since i cant have my mazzle
so therefor
what will it financially take to get this running on regular basis
yeah im deadly serious
11-17-08, 11:20 AM   #28
wiseman168
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Crothul View Post
lemme put it this way
i regret gettin lich king since i cant have my mazzle
so therefor
what will it financially take to get this running on regular basis
yeah im deadly serious
Dude just wait, few GOOD MAN are working very hard to bring MazzleUI backup and running again. Don't feel bad just be happy!! here's few good "look like" UI can be download

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-ArkiveUI.html

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...enversion.html
(this is the widescreen version there are 2 others available just search for FreshUI in the addons tab)

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...braxhasUI.html

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...MalaUIWTF.html

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...mpilation.html
11-17-08, 11:12 PM   #29
ibnuts
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Dude just wait, few GOOD MAN are working very hard to bring MazzleUI backup and running again. Don't feel bad just be happy!! here's few good "look like" UI can be download

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-ArkiveUI.html

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...enversion.html
(this is the widescreen version there are 2 others available just search for FreshUI in the addons tab)

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...braxhasUI.html

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...MalaUIWTF.html

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...mpilation.html
I appreciate the great effort that these volunteers are doing. I'd just like to see a system where we don't have to wait weeks or months after patches to see the changes. That's why I proposed that Mazzle charge to continue development.

As far as the alternatives, they're just look-alikes. They miss the most important Mazzle component: the Mazzifier, especially the auto-config button layout. I hate having to redo my button layouts on all my toons, especially the ones with stances/forms. I'm seriously considering cancelling my WoW subscription, since I've barely played since Mazzle broke last.
11-18-08, 02:54 AM   #30
Raegormar
A Fallenroot Satyr
It's hard to charge a fee for something that is dependent on other peoples work, and not expect them to be cut in. If mazzle would be on a charge basis, what would the charge be for ? How do you say to other developers, sorry your mod I use and make money on is less important than that mod.
This would only be viable if everything is done in house. Therefore this will not happen. The mazzifier itself is fantastic piece of work, but it's there to set up other mods. For the pay option to be viable it would have to be a tool that can set up a more complete list of ad ons (not fixed ones).

Last edited by Raegormar : 11-18-08 at 02:58 AM.
11-18-08, 11:09 AM   #31
wiseman168
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by ibnuts View Post
I appreciate the great effort that these volunteers are doing. I'd just like to see a system where we don't have to wait weeks or months after patches to see the changes. That's why I proposed that Mazzle charge to continue development.

As far as the alternatives, they're just look-alikes. They miss the most important Mazzle component: the Mazzifier, especially the auto-config button layout. I hate having to redo my button layouts on all my toons, especially the ones with stances/forms. I'm seriously considering cancelling my WoW subscription, since I've barely played since Mazzle broke last.

Dude I feel your pain.. that is why we play WOW lol, you are not up for little pain in your life .. its all Mazzle's fault, this mod like crack we all addicted to it...
11-18-08, 12:19 PM   #32
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Raegormar View Post
It's hard to charge a fee for something that is dependent on other peoples work, and not expect them to be cut in. If mazzle would be on a charge basis, what would the charge be for ? How do you say to other developers, sorry your mod I use and make money on is less important than that mod.
This would only be viable if everything is done in house. Therefore this will not happen. The mazzifier itself is fantastic piece of work, but it's there to set up other mods. For the pay option to be viable it would have to be a tool that can set up a more complete list of ad ons (not fixed ones).
This.

(Random message here so my post is long enough to click "Submit Reply".)
11-18-08, 03:51 PM   #33
ReighnDae
A Murloc Raider

Dude I feel your pain.. that is why we play WOW lol, you are not up for little pain in your life .. its all Mazzle's fault, this mod like crack we all addicted to it...
I feel it necessary to post my indignation to your quote. There are people that play that are recovering crack addicts and find you analogy quite offensive. Next time you might want to think before you post.
11-18-08, 05:34 PM   #34
ibnuts
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Raegormar View Post
Actually, you're wrong. It happens all the time. Do you think people have to pay Microsoft a license fee just so they can develop a program that works with windows? No. If the other developers want to charge, let them try. The only addon that I can't do without is the Mazzifier. I don't care which bar addon or whatever it works with. You can only charge for something if people are willing to pay for it. I'm willing to pay for the Mazzifier, as are others. It's the people who are supported by their parents and don't have the allowance to afford it, or who prefer not to live in a free market system that object. This is why open source such as Linux will never have mass market appeal. The open source people think that closed source is "evil" or some other such nonsense, but I'd much rather have my auto-Windows update than have to wait around until some coder, who has better things to do (things that pay him/her), gets around to doing it for free.

Actually, it's not that I'm against "pain," I'm against tedium. This game is supposed to be fun, but the abysmal blizzard UI and the constant change in the addon scene makes it a chore. Everytime there's a new patch or a new version of a UI, they recommend to start from scratch. It takes me 2+ hours to set up each of my toons. It's just not worth it. During that time, if I'm going to be working (which is basically what that is) I might as well be making money for it. So, I'd rather pay someone to treat it like a job than rely on these people who do it on their off time, and as a result, take forever.

Last edited by ibnuts : 11-18-08 at 05:39 PM.
11-18-08, 06:01 PM   #35
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ibnuts View Post
Actually, you're wrong. It happens all the time. Do you think people have to pay Microsoft a license fee just so they can develop a program that works with windows? No. If the other developers want to charge, let them try. The only addon that I can't do without is the Mazzifier. I don't care which bar addon or whatever it works with. You can only charge for something if people are willing to pay for it. I'm willing to pay for the Mazzifier, as are others. It's the people who are supported by their parents and don't have the allowance to afford it, or who prefer not to live in a free market system that object. This is why open source such as Linux will never have mass market appeal. The open source people think that closed source is "evil" or some other such nonsense, but I'd much rather have my auto-Windows update than have to wait around until some coder, who has better things to do (things that pay him/her), gets around to doing it for free.
I haven't seen anyone "object" yet, there have been concerns pointed out though. As for your MS reference, it's different... The Mazzifier does not just "work with other addons", it configures them. If the authors of those addons says "hey, would you mind finding another barmod to use with your program?", you'll be looking for another barmod. It's their right to say no, just as it's Mazzle's right to say you can't modify Mazzleui at all and release it without his express written permission. Do you see the difference?

It's a touchy subject though, so please, anyone coming into this, please play nice on the forums.
11-20-08, 01:54 AM   #36
YamiJim
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up +1 to worth paying for.

Not a 1 time fee, or a monthly fee.

But a per major patch fee.

I'd pay $20 per major patch for mazzle. (not that many cheap ass pirating wow hooligans would, but i would)

Not insisting or anything, just my thoughts.

I'll keep an eye on here for progress, the old UI makes baby jesus cry.

is there a pay pal or something that i can donate some to the devs who are working on it now?

ok well that's it, keep up the good work, and thanks for all of it such far.
11-20-08, 06:40 AM   #37
Flamer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by joeba18 View Post
Keyword "DONATE"
it is a donation so there for you have no rights to complain.
There no way he could of scammed you due to the fact he did not require you to pay.

For example Atari gaming console.
Paid for it. They stopped work on it.

Plain and simple you cant expect anything to always be updated.
Then maybe the donate section of mazzle should be taken off since mazzle doesnt work on the UI anymore but would willingly taken money for something that doesnt work and its america we have the right to complain or didnt u learn anything in school.
11-20-08, 06:46 AM   #38
Flamer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ReighnDae View Post
I feel it necessary to post my indignation to your quote. There are people that play that are recovering crack addicts and find you analogy quite offensive. Next time you might want to think before you post.
give us a break we didnt make them CRACKHEADS or was it u that it offended.
11-20-08, 09:04 AM   #39
Mostrarskegg
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by ReighnDae View Post
<opinion>
So you created an account, and your first post on here is to say that the rest of the world can no longer use the expression crack addict because you are a recovering one? Are the recovering crack addicts the ones that flood trade chat?

I feel it necessary to post my indignation that your post in this thread has nothing to do with the UI at all. Just ignore it and move on.
</opinion>
11-25-08, 03:23 PM   #40
ibnuts
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I haven't seen anyone "object" yet, there have been concerns pointed out though. As for your MS reference, it's different... The Mazzifier does not just "work with other addons", it configures them. If the authors of those addons says "hey, would you mind finding another barmod to use with your program?", you'll be looking for another barmod. It's their right to say no, just as it's Mazzle's right to say you can't modify Mazzleui at all and release it without his express written permission. Do you see the difference?

It's a touchy subject though, so please, anyone coming into this, please play nice on the forums.
I see your point, but I don't think people could ask you to "remove their addon" when you're not charging for it. What I proposed was to charge only for the Mazzifier/Mazzle-coded addons. The rest could be hosted in a free pack here or wherever else. Zygor works with TomTom and Mapster/Cartographer, which seems to be a valid comparison, so I don't think this is really an issue. Even if it were, the other addon authors wouldn't be earning money for their work, so they probably wouldn't have the means to litigate :lol: Seriously, though, I can check with a friend who's a copyright/patent attorney if Mazzle/someone else even responded on these suggestions.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Mazzle for V3.0.3 to WOTLK?