11-21-09, 03:59 AM   #1
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Extra info for author?

Hey all!
I think it would be awesome to not only know the number of downloads your addon has, but also the number of people actually using it. This can be easily done trough the minion, and even while this reduces the measurement to people only using the minion, still the data is useful.

But thats just my €0,05.
11-21-09, 12:55 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
If you want to add some kind of "tracking cookie" you can create a module yourself and ask people to install it. I WILL NEVER try to track this type of information, especially without consent of the user involved.

The API is available. If you really want this feature, you can create a module yourself and ask your users to install it.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
11-21-09, 01:52 PM   #3
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
If you want to add some kind of "tracking cookie" you can create a module yourself and ask people to install it. I WILL NEVER try to track this type of information, especially without consent of the user involved.

The API is available. If you really want this feature, you can create a module yourself and ask your users to install it.
I don't want to track whatever they do with the addon, just if it's installed or not. That isn't something sensitive when it comes to privacy?
11-21-09, 02:18 PM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

The only thing i can think of would noting number of updates (if possible) since this would (in theory) closely resemble people currently still using an addon after initial download.

Aside from knowing which toons had the addon activated i cant imagine any more accurate measure. Digging for that specific information however I would see as an invasion.

Installed (present in the addon folder) doesn't always mean used though. I would imagine a large portion of the populace stop using an addon well before they actually remove it. I know I have to do periodic cleaning of my addon folder and wtf folder for addons i stopped using some time ago but never bothered to actually remove. I could be in the minority on this however.

My personal question on this is, How would the overall data be useful aside from deciding whether or not to continue working on a project due to lack of users?

Not knocking the idea. I'm just genuinely curious.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
11-21-09, 03:31 PM   #5
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
The only thing i can think of would noting number of updates (if possible) since this would (in theory) closely resemble people currently still using an addon after initial download.

Aside from knowing which toons had the addon activated i cant imagine any more accurate measure. Digging for that specific information however I would see as an invasion.

Installed (present in the addon folder) doesn't always mean used though. I would imagine a large portion of the populace stop using an addon well before they actually remove it. I know I have to do periodic cleaning of my addon folder and wtf folder for addons i stopped using some time ago but never bothered to actually remove. I could be in the minority on this however.

My personal question on this is, How would the overall data be useful aside from deciding whether or not to continue working on a project due to lack of users?

Not knocking the idea. I'm just genuinely curious.
I think that for the rankings of addons on WoWInterface the number of downloads is irrelevant, while the number of people using it is. And I just like to know how many people use my addons
11-21-09, 04:13 PM   #6
wurmfood
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I think an alternative, and possibly better way, to track this would just be to track downloads per version. Not sure how much work that would be, but it would accomplish the same thing with fewer privacy implications.

edit: By this I mean tracking it outside of Minion.
11-22-09, 09:40 PM   #7
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
I don't want to track whatever they do with the addon, just if it's installed or not. That isn't something sensitive when it comes to privacy?
To me, it is definitely a privacy issue
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/
11-22-09, 09:47 PM   #8
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by wurmfood View Post
I think an alternative, and possibly better way, to track this would just be to track downloads per version. Not sure how much work that would be, but it would accomplish the same thing with fewer privacy implications.

edit: By this I mean tracking it outside of Minion.
I think this was discussed before. Feel free to suggest it in the site requests
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

/(bb|[^b]{2})/
11-23-09, 12:35 AM   #9
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
As far as I'm concerned, it's nobody's business what add-ons I use. Yes, it is very much a privacy issue.
11-23-09, 01:30 AM   #10
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

No, I think you understand me the wrong way. The author doesn't see what addons you use, only if you use one of them. They will never know all the addons that you use. And about the downloads per version, it doesn't work, because that assumes that every that uses your addon updates with every new release and that you don't get any new users.

And about the privacy, it shouldn't be a problem if there is an option to disable it?
11-27-09, 10:52 AM   #11
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
I feel it should never be opt-out, only opt-in. I hate opt-out, it always seems very sneaky and makes me want to opt-out just out of principle. And still. It's nobody's business even if I'm using one particular add-on. You already know it's been downloaded.

Maybe I'm more sensitive about privacy than others on the site, but there's my opinion out there.
11-27-09, 01:05 PM   #12
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
Hey all!
I think it would be awesome to not only know the number of downloads your addon has, but also the number of people actually using it. This can be easily done trough the minion, and even while this reduces the measurement to people only using the minion, still the data is useful.

But thats just my €0,05.
They have enough problems trying to get Minion to update the correct addons without installing the wrong addons, why bother them with tracking stuff?

Marth

11-27-09, 01:08 PM   #13
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
i think people are getting a bit overprotective with the privacy angle. you don't need to know what addons a person uses. indeed, you don't need to know anything about the person at all. you simply add to one WOWI database counter when a person installs the addon for the first time, and you add to another one when they do an update.

two numbers on the WOWI site that have no information about anybody in them. they are just integers and no information about the user was transmitted to WOWI. this is no more a privacy violation than the current d/l count.

edit: of course, this would not work for manual d/ls. so probably kind of pointless.

Last edited by lilsparky : 11-27-09 at 01:12 PM.
11-27-09, 02:20 PM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by lilsparky View Post
i think people are getting a bit overprotective with the privacy angle. you don't need to know what addons a person uses. indeed, you don't need to know anything about the person at all. you simply add to one WOWI database counter when a person installs the addon for the first time, and you add to another one when they do an update.

two numbers on the WOWI site that have no information about anybody in them. they are just integers and no information about the user was transmitted to WOWI. this is no more a privacy violation than the current d/l count.

edit: of course, this would not work for manual d/ls. so probably kind of pointless.
I agree wholeheartedly with lilsparky, and I doubt I could of said it better myself.
11-27-09, 02:43 PM   #15
Fodaro
A Cyclonian

I had been thinking about this for a while, and I think that the downloads per update option is probably the best. In the absence of a feature like this (and because I'm too lazy to work it out myself) I use the number of favorites, which I always think is more helpful than downloads, as someone might download my addon, think it's rubbish () and not use it again.

Fodaro
Author of CharNote
11-27-09, 05:20 PM   #16
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Fodaro View Post
I had been thinking about this for a while, and I think that the downloads per update option is probably the best. In the absence of a feature like this (and because I'm too lazy to work it out myself) I use the number of favorites, which I always think is more helpful than downloads, as someone might download my addon, think it's rubbish () and not use it again.

Fodaro
Author of CharNote
I personally never mark an addon as favorite. I either use it or regularly update it. Well until I stopped playing WoW that is
11-27-09, 06:06 PM   #17
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Favorites are there to make it easier to access your addons. And most importantly, notify you when they are updated so you can see the changes; significant or not. This allows you to get the bugfix you have been waiting for, etc. without having to check on it every so often.
12-16-09, 06:23 AM   #18
Arranf
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by archaica View Post
without knowing any of the past history of the people who you think are being overprotective about their privacy is a bit presumptuous. people who have experienced traumatic violations of their person do not need this sort of attitude when expressing their opinions and feelings on such matters. comments like that only make them feel more abused and alone. what may seem like nothing to you may be a severe threat to someone else.

you can make your point without belittling others'. please be considerate. thanks.
You're being a little over-sensitive there in my opinion.
He merely stated his opinion and he hardly belittled anyone else's and simply stated he could not understand their opinion.

Last edited by Arranf : 12-16-09 at 06:26 AM.
12-18-09, 03:40 AM   #19
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Arranf View Post
You're being a little over-sensitive there in my opinion.
He merely stated his opinion and he hardly belittled anyone else's and simply stated he could not understand their opinion.
Agreed.

message to short blah blah blah blah
12-18-09, 03:47 AM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by archaica View Post
without knowing any of the past history of the people who you think are being overprotective about their privacy is a bit presumptuous. people who have experienced traumatic violations of their person do not need this sort of attitude when expressing their opinions and feelings on such matters. comments like that only make them feel more abused and alone. what may seem like nothing to you may be a severe threat to someone else.

you can make your point without belittling others'. please be considerate. thanks.
There seems to be two different topics here. The original topic everyone else is discussing, and a completely different one you are trying to bring into it. Lets stick to the original topic.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Extra info for author?