06-08-05, 03:02 PM   #1
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Recipe Book

Recipe Book (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=3989) is pretty completely described there.
In brief: I got tired of writing down the recipes my alts knew, so I wrote something to code it into the tooltip.

Plays nice with AIOI, My Inventory, and BankStatement/BankItems. I use it regularly with Lootlink.

One bug that I'm looking for suggestions on involves the fact that items in the bank require you to have a bag open (any bag will do) in order to show tooltip info. I'm a little stuck on that one.

08 June: Should be playing nice with patch 1.5.
12 June: Noticed a strange little bug with tooltip resizing. Fixed and submitted 0.4a.

27 June : Hm:
Illiath on curse noted the following :
I just installed this addon and I've run into an issue with the way the variables are being defined.

It appears that for new installs the RecipeBookData variable is being defined, but the new "Personal" section of the variables is not being defined for each faction. This means that whenever I attempt to either 1) add chars from another realm or
2) add chars from another faction on the same realm
that the variable is not created correctly. I also cannot see any reason why the variable was created correctly in the first place.
Added in the initialize line, and some secondary move code that should take place when you log in a new character now.
Don't quite know how this got missed, but 0.5.2 is up in the downloads section now.

Last edited by ayradyss : 06-27-05 at 09:17 PM.
06-14-05, 01:56 PM   #2
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
Tooltips conflict

Appears to conflict with the TooltipsBase family of addons.

With those enabled, I see no Recipe Book tooltips.

With those disabled, Recipe Book tooltips work perfectly.
06-14-05, 01:59 PM   #3
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

I'll take a look and see if I can make it play nice. Thanks!
06-14-05, 02:23 PM   #4
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
Curious, is it capable of checking specializations?

I have a Weaponsmith and an Armorsmith...

I have a Dragonscale, a Tribal, and an Elemental leatherworker...

(Yes, I'm a tradeskill junkie, hence my enthusiasm for this addon!)

(Gnomish and Goblin engineers are in the works...)

Does Recipe Book currently check for Specializations when determining whether a given toon is eligible to learn a given recipe? Is that even posible, programmatically?
06-14-05, 02:36 PM   #5
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

At the moment, it's not checking.
That's on my to-do list, and I -think- programmatically it's possible, but I'll need to kick one of my tradeskill alts up to a level where they have a spec to test it

I'll put it in as a requested to-do and bump the priority a bit, Just For You.

On a glance, I wonder if it isn't Sea that's farking with my tooltips from the Tooltips Base. I'll try adding optional Sea support and seeing if that makes it better.
06-14-05, 03:26 PM   #6
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
I would be more than happy to assist in testing any work on Specialization checking - yeah, I know, it'd be a pain to have a third party test, but it's all I can offer o.O
06-14-05, 03:30 PM   #7
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

My constant playing partner (and husband) is at 39 on his LW and 36 on his blacksmith.
If he hits 40 and gets specced before I'm done with my current code revamp and tweak, we're good.
If not, then I'll look you up.
06-15-05, 09:09 AM   #8
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

Let me throw this out: How do the specializations display? Do they work within the standard tradeskill window?
06-15-05, 06:18 PM   #9
Brimstone
A Defias Bandit
Hats off Ayradyss. This mod has certainly made browsing the recipie lists in the AH much less bothersome.

One problem I have noticed is that the various transmute recipes, ie iron to gold, mith to truesilver and the arcanite transmute, are not being reported correctly on my setup. I'm being told by Recipe Book that my alchemist toon can learn these when in fact he already knows them.
Don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem but I thought I'd report it.
06-15-05, 08:09 PM   #10
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

Hm. I'll take a look at those and see if I can figure out how it's working.

Thanks for the heads-up.
06-17-05, 05:44 PM   #11
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
Displaying Specializations

I was unable to locate any indication that I know any Specializations by examining the standard windows.

I have to imagine that some routine which returns character skill information will also display "hidden" skills such as specializations, since the game has to be able to check somehow...

Specializations manifest as if they were a Skill, but they do not appear to be displayed on the Skills window.

Using Specializations

There is no difference when using a recipe that requires a particular specialization, only during the check to determine whether you are eligible to scribe a recipe.

Identifying Required Specializations

Recipes will have "Requires (Specialization Name)" in their tooltip description; for example the pattern for "Living Leggings" shows:

Requires Leatherworking (285)
Requires Elemental Leatherworking

[hr]

I'll poke aroud and see if I can determine how to programatically retrieve specialization information ... in the mean time, you focus on leveling your tradeskillers :P

Last edited by Ratstomper : 06-17-05 at 05:45 PM. Reason: fixing typo
06-17-05, 05:49 PM   #12
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

I was unable to locate any indication that I know any Specializations by examining the standard windows.
I'll poke aroud and see if I can determine how to programatically retrieve specialization information ... in the mean time, you focus on leveling your tradeskillers :P
<3!

New parser is gathering the requisite info from recipes (and flagging on bank slots!).
Let me know if you find the skill info in code.
If all else fails the new version (coming Very Soon) will allow you to manually set your spec, I promise.
06-17-05, 10:59 PM   #13
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
Crimeny, I'm so embarassed ...

The specialization skills show up right there in your spellbook in General. I thought I had seen them somewhere...

It's ugly as sin, but you could use a loop with GetSpellName to determine what specializations a character has:

Code:
local i = 1;

while true do
    local spellName, spellRank = GetSpellName(i, BOOKTYPE_SPELL)
    if not spellName then
        do break end
    end

-- You can check by specific "spell" name for the known specializations ...
    if ( spellName == "Armorsmith" ) then
        -- do stuff here
    end

-- Or you could generate a much smaller list by only looking at spells with a rank of "Artisan" ...
    -- Note that this will generate a list of all Artisan level tradeskills
    if ( spellRank == "Artisan" ) then
        -- do stuff here
    end

-- or you could just process the entire list
    -- process spellName or spellRank 

i = i + 1
end

Last edited by Ratstomper : 06-17-05 at 11:06 PM. Reason: fatfingered "crimeny".... fixed it now
06-17-05, 11:04 PM   #14
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
Boo, it looks like the "Artisan" trick won't work.

Armorsmith is "Artisan"
Weaponsmith is "Artisan"

Tribal Leatherworking has no Rank
Dragonscale Leatherworking has no Rank

No information available to me on Gnome Engineering, Goblin Engineering, or Elemental Leatherworking.

And since I don't have a Weaponsmith up to 250 and level 50 yet, I haven't seen what the "Master Hammersmith", "Master Swordsmith", and "Master Axesmith" specializations look like either ...

But since at *least* two of the specializations don't have a Rank (and I'm betting more don't have it) it looks like the only means is by hardcoding in the specialization names ... boo!

But, heck, I hadn't even looked as Addons structure, let alone available functions, before today ... so it's highly likely that I missed some really nice function that will return specialization skills directly ........

Last edited by Ratstomper : 06-17-05 at 11:15 PM. Reason: fixed the names of the master weaponsmith skills
06-18-05, 01:23 AM   #15
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

That'll get me started anyway.
06-20-05, 12:02 AM   #16
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

Okay, here goes...

Ratstomper: We're still sitting around 38, and I've got this little tiny function I'd like to add into the next release of RecipeBook, and so I'm going to throw it at you.

Attached should be TradeScan.zip. It's cute! It's tiny! It's the function in question!
It's got a slash handler and not much else in it - if you could be so fantastically kind as to unzip it to your AddOns Directory, load it up, enter '/ts scan' into your command line, and let me know if it gets the specializations right, I would love it.

I'd love it even more if you could fidge around with it and make sure it recognizes any combination of specializations you have.
I'm particularly concerned about the second Blacksmithing branch at Weaponsmith --> Master Swordsmith, Master Axesmith, Master Macesmith. They tell me that there are patterns that require "Weaponsmith" as well as the master patterns, so it's possible that for someone with Blacksmithing I'll need to match *two* specializations. Yes?

I know this is working in the null case. I don't know if it's working for any other cases at the moment, so that's where I need your help.

I have it (in theory) recognizing the following:
Blacksmithing = Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, Master Hammersmith, Master Axesmith, Master Macesmith
Engineering = Goblin Engineering, Gnomish Engineering
Leatherworking = Tribal Leatherworking, Elemental Leatherworking, Dragonscale Leatherworking

Are there any others I should be matching for?

Note: This is not tidy. This is clumsy and hard-coded etc etc. But I have the rest of the recode *done* and I want to put this in and upload for public before I go on to the next two projects: learning how to put a GUI on the options and figuring out how to get learned recipes out of the chat log when Blizzard is so very unhelpful and won't tell me what tradeskill you just learned it in.

I'm watching the thread. Let me know about bugs, I'll fix, I have no life for the next 3 days before work starts.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TradeScan.zip (1.4 KB, 549 views)
06-20-05, 08:07 AM   #17
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
Toon with Armorsmith specialization:
Found the following tradeskill specializations: Blacksmithing:Armorsmith.
Toon with both Weaponsmith and Tribal Leatherworking specializations:
Found the following tradeskill specializations: Leatherworking:Leatherworking,Leatherworking:Tribal Leatherworking,Blacksmithing:Weaponsmith.

That looks a bit odd to me, but I think I'm getting the hang of your chosen use of the colon and this translates as
  • Leatherworking:Leatherworking (regular)
  • Leatherworking:Tribal Leatherworking (the specialization)
  • Blacksmithing:Weaponsmith

If I have this correct, my only observation is that Blacksmithing doesn't seem to behave the same way Leatherworking does (only the specialization is shown)
Toon with Dragonscale Leatherworking:
Found the following tradeskill specializations: Leatherworking:Dragonscale Leatherworking,Leatherworking:Leatherworking.
Toon with Elemental Leatherworking:
Found the following tradeskill specializations: Leatherworking:Leatherworking.

Oops, he's only level 38 ... but he has a full rest bonus! Time to play him today and then go visit the Elemental Leatherworking trainer...

On a side note, he does also have the "Poisons" skill (which manifests as both a skill and a spell) but I don't know that there are any recipes that require Poisons, I believe they're all trainer-taught
Toon with Goblin Engineering:
Found the following tradeskill specializations: Engineering:Engineering.

Oops, he's only level 25 ... but he only needs 35 to specialize. Time to play him after the rogue learns Elemental...
Toon with no tradeskill specializations:
Found the following tradeskill specializations: None.
On Shadoweave Tailoring:
A number of "professions" threads on the WOW forums list "Shadoweave Tailoring" as a separate skill. It's not. The Shadoweave Tailor trainer in Stormwind's warlock guildhall will seemingly teach anyone the Shadoweave recipes.

Thottbot shows only one Pattern, and its only requirement is Tailoring(245). My 'lock has no such abilty anywhere in his spellbook, so that further corraborates that hypothesis.

At this point, I am unaware of any specializations available for tailoring.
On a logisitcs note, I'm in Pacific time zone ... your posts seem to show up in the middle of the night for me, so I expect this one will be the middle of the night for you. I'll keep checking back though.
06-20-05, 08:10 AM   #18
Ratstomper
A Fallenroot Satyr
Summary of the previous posts: Everything appears to be working as intended with /ts with the possible exception of the inconsistency noted in the way base skills are reported for leatherworking and blacksmithing.
06-20-05, 09:15 AM   #19
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

Smile

I'm in Indiana. And I posted that at around 1 AM my time, running on a fit of manic energy

The answer to why Leatherworking is behaving the way it is is that I'm using string.find on each skill to compare it to a hard-coded list of skills. Since string.find("Elemental Leatherworking | Dragonscale Leatherworking | Tribal Leatherworking", "Leatherworking") returns true, it's counting it.
That's expected behaviour at this point, now that I look at it, and if I'd bothered to run it on the leatherworker toon I have I would have noticed.

Recipe matching I can handle with mockup data - my SavedVariables.lua has data for so many toons that don't exist it's hardly funny. The important thing is that it -is- finding your specialties, so I can fix the pattern matching and go from there.
At this point, it'll probably be a slash command to set the specialties; I don't see any reason to run that code repeatedly.

Regarding Shadoweave, my priest can make it

I'll run with the specs I have, then!
06-20-05, 09:24 AM   #20
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

Incidentally, I haven't forgotten about TooltipsBase, but since that's going to take a little session with Sea and Getting to Know You, it's probably still on the to-do list at this point.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Recipe Book