04-07-22, 09:44 AM   #1
PARRYHOTTEr
A Defias Bandit
Need to refresh the UI before non-nil value is returned

Hello everyone!

I'm very new to coding addOns to wow, and i've encountered a problem that annoys me.

Whenever i launch the game, GetAverageItemlevel() returns a nil value. If i then reload the UI it will then start to return the expected values.

What i wish to figure out is a way to stop this behaviour of where i have to reload the UI once before the addOn displays the expected value.

The following code is giving me this problem:

Code:
local ilvlText = frame:CreateFontString(nil, "ARTWORK", "GameFontHighlight")
ilvlText:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 10, -60)
local avgItemLevel, avgItemLevelEquipped, avgItemLevelPVP = GetAverageItemLevel()
ilvlText:SetText("Average equipped ilvl is: " .. tostring(avgItemLevelEquipped or "Refresh UI"))
04-07-22, 10:10 AM   #2
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by PARRYHOTTEr View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm very new to coding addOns to wow, and i've encountered a problem that annoys me.

Whenever i launch the game, GetAverageItemlevel() returns a nil value. If i then reload the UI it will then start to return the expected values.

What i wish to figure out is a way to stop this behaviour of where i have to reload the UI once before the addOn displays the expected value.

The following code is giving me this problem:

Code:
local ilvlText = frame:CreateFontString(nil, "ARTWORK", "GameFontHighlight")
ilvlText:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 10, -60)
local avgItemLevel, avgItemLevelEquipped, avgItemLevelPVP = GetAverageItemLevel()
ilvlText:SetText("Average equipped ilvl is: " .. tostring(avgItemLevelEquipped or "Refresh UI"))
You need to wait until the game knows something about the characther you just logged in to, try (your code didn't mention where the frame is anchored so I made that bit up):
Lua Code:
  1. frame:SetSize(5, 5)
  2. frame:SetPoint("LEFT", 10, 0)
  3. frame.ilvlText = frame:CreateFontString(nil, "ARTWORK", "GameFontHighlight")
  4. frame.ilvlText:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 10, -60)
  5. frame:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_LOGIN")
  6. frame:RegisterUnitEvent("UNIT_INVENTORY_CHANGED", "player")
  7. frame:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self)
  8.     local avgItemLevel, avgItemLevelEquipped, avgItemLevelPVP = GetAverageItemLevel()
  9.     self.ilvlText:SetText("Average equipped ilvl is: " .. tostring(avgItemLevelEquipped or "Refresh UI"))
  10. end)
04-07-22, 10:35 AM   #3
PARRYHOTTEr
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
You need to wait until the game knows something about the characther you just logged in to, try (your code didn't mention where the frame is anchored so I made that bit up):
Lua Code:
  1. frame:SetSize(5, 5)
  2. frame:SetPoint("LEFT", 10, 0)
  3. frame.ilvlText = frame:CreateFontString(nil, "ARTWORK", "GameFontHighlight")
  4. frame.ilvlText:SetPoint("TOPLEFT", 10, -60)
  5. frame:RegisterEvent("PLAYER_LOGIN")
  6. frame:RegisterUnitEvent("UNIT_INVENTORY_CHANGED", "player")
  7. frame:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self)
  8.     local avgItemLevel, avgItemLevelEquipped, avgItemLevelPVP = GetAverageItemLevel()
  9.     self.ilvlText:SetText("Average equipped ilvl is: " .. tostring(avgItemLevelEquipped or "Refresh UI"))
  10. end)
First of all thanks for the provided code, it works now!

In hindsight, i probably should've explained that i'm creating a simple character panel as a first addOn project and the 'frame' is a simple CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent, "BackdropTemplateMixin" and "BackdropTemplate").

You mention that the game has to 'know' something about the character before it can read values about the character, etc; could you perhaps elaborate a little bit on that? If you have an article or something explaining it, that is also fine
04-07-22, 12:35 PM   #4
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Most addons rely on updating when things happen in-game. They are notified of these "happenings" through an event system.

If you just put code in a .lua file withouot setting up a method to listen for the events you are interested in, then the code runs just once when the .lua file is loaded by the addon system (while the bar scrolls across the bottom of you screen) and never again.

The extra code I added, registers to listen for the PLAYER_LOGIN event that fires once after all initial addons have loaded and the "UNIT_INVENTORY_CHANGED" event for the player unit (you) see for information on this event

It also sets up the OnEvent (listener) script do do what needs to be done when those events are sent to the addon. Because it runs the same code for all events registerd (and ony the regiistered events will be sent), the script doesn't have to be specific about what to do for each event.
04-07-22, 01:13 PM   #5
PARRYHOTTEr
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
Most addons rely on updating when things happen in-game. They are notified of these "happenings" through an event system.

If you just put code in a .lua file withouot setting up a method to listen for the events you are interested in, then the code runs just once when the .lua file is loaded by the addon system (while the bar scrolls across the bottom of you screen) and never again.

The extra code I added, registers to listen for the PLAYER_LOGIN event that fires once after all initial addons have loaded and the "UNIT_INVENTORY_CHANGED" event for the player unit (you) see for information on this event

It also sets up the OnEvent (listener) script do do what needs to be done when those events are sent to the addon. Because it runs the same code for all events registerd (and ony the regiistered events will be sent), the script doesn't have to be specific about what to do for each event.
Ah i see, thanks a lot for the help and the explanation btw is this the appropriate section to ask these sorts of quesitons or is there a better section for scripting help and that stuff?
04-07-22, 01:31 PM   #6
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
The Lua/XML support forum is probably best

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Need to refresh the UI before non-nil value is returned