12-21-09, 11:30 PM   #1
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Lightbulb Spread some holiday cheer!

It's that time of year, where the children have hope of dreams fulfilled, and parents and loved ones shed a tear.

I am normally a bah humbug type of guy; I see spoiled brats and I close my eyes. I think about kids who have nothing, but are happy with anything, that so many of us take for granted.

I was reading through some threads earlier and was reminded by a few signatures from the ChildsPlay drive from last year (and the year before?). Sometimes children don't have opportunity to experience the joys and experiences I was able to encounter in my childhood. I'm sure many of you have memories of the holidays, birthdays, or family vacations.. and you can almost feel what you felt as a child. Some of you may not... for whatever reason.

I, being the scrooge that I am, don't go out on a limb for many things, especially when my hard earned money is involved, but certain times make me open myself up for people who deserve more than they were handed in life. Namely, children with illness or family that can't afford the extras that many of us take for granted.

I post this as a servant of my conscience, not as a request. Ignore it or embrace it... your choice alone.

• Make a Wish Foundation is an organization that helps children with life threatening illness have a wish granted. Follow the link for more information, on their website.
  • Since 1980, the Make-A-Wish Foundation® has enriched the lives of children with life-threatening medical conditions through its wish-granting work. The Foundation's mission reflects the life-changing impact that a Make-A-Wish® experience has on children, families, referral sources, donors, sponsors and entire communities.
  • The Make-A-Wish Foundation was founded in 1980 after a little boy named Chris Greicius realized his heartfelt wish to become a police officer. Since its humble beginnings, the organization has blossomed into a worldwide phenomenon, reaching more than 174,000 children around the world.
  • Although it has become one of the world's most well-known charities, the Make-A-Wish Foundation has maintained the grassroots fulfillment of its mission.
  • A network of nearly 25,000 volunteers enable the Make-A-Wish Foundation to serve children with life-threatening medical conditions. Volunteers serve as wish granters, fundraisers, special events assistants and in numerous other capacities.
  • As the Foundation continues to mature, its mission will remain steadfast. Wish children of the past, present and future will have an opportunity to share the power of a wish®.

• ChildsPlay is a worldwide organization that...
  • Since 2003, over 100,000 gamers worldwide have banded together through Child’s Play, a community based charity grown and nurtured from the game culture and industry. Over 5 million dollars in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children’s hospitals across North America and the world have been collected since our inception.
  • This year, we have continued expanding across the country and the globe. With almost 70 partner hospitals and more arriving every month, you can be sure to find one from the map above that needs your help! You can choose to purchase requested items from their online retailer wish lists, or make a cash donation that helps out Child’s Play hospitals everywhere. Any items purchased through Amazon will be shipped directly to your hospital of choice, so please be sure to select their shipping address rather than your own.
  • When gamers give back, it makes a difference!

• St.Jude Children's Hospital is a hospital dedicated to treating the illnesses effecting the lives of children, from cancer to AIDS, they serve those who can't serve their self... children. Through research and application of children's medicine, they treat approximately 5700 children each year. Their research is freely given to medical staff worldwide and has been around since 1962. Their focus is primarily childhood cancer research.
  • Mission
  • The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay.

Some of the sites, or possibly all three, have other ways of helping out than just donating money. There are links you can follow and volunteer positions available, too. I hope anyone who wishes they could do something, at least takes a look at any of the three, or even show us other similar charities that focus on children that need a bit of holiday cheer, any time of the year.

Last edited by Yhor : 12-21-09 at 11:46 PM.
12-22-09, 12:14 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thank you for these reminders, Yhor!
12-23-09, 02:07 PM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Very happy to do what I can .

I do want to apologize for the yellow text and ugly format, but I was finding it harder to read without it and my formatting skills are terrible

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Spread some holiday cheer!