10-19-14, 03:04 PM   #141
derkaderka
A Defias Bandit
Thank you!

Rythal, I just want to say how awesome it is for someone to be keeping Carbonite going. This is the only addon my wife, my friends and I really use. It really replaces all other addons. Some other use about 7 other addons that Carbonite does all in one. It is the best gaming addon out there.

I will be donating more money to help you in your endevors. I am retired, so I do not get a lot lately. But I will send what I can.

10-20-14, 08:55 AM   #142
Mordralis
An Aku'mai Servant

Not Sure If....?

I started playing WoW in the ending days of Vanilla. From my first week, at the suggestion of a friend, I loaded and have been using exclusively Carbonite, and totally loved the mapping aspect. Blizz's mapping system really is a PITA, and when new major patches come out that impact Carbonite to the point of not being able to use it for awhile, I'm lost and frustrated to no end because of the poor mapping system in Blizz. I had a good job making decent money, and was able to make donations via PayPal of around $200. But I was involved in an accident that put me on disability, and have not been able to make donations for a few years. I feel kinda guilty in not being able to do so, but really can't. So please don't think I am complaining about service, for I'm definitely not!
When 6.0.2 came out, the game would freeze every time I opened it, until I disabled the Carbonite addons. I thought, ok, same as in the past, just will have to suffer for a week or 2 until it is updated. However, now all modules are enabled and the game no longer freezes up...but none of the carbonite mods show, except the symbol in the minimap - which does not do anything when I click on it.
I've tried to find temporary alternatives for mapping, but none do the same that Carbonite does that I have found so far. Am I doing something wrong, missing something? I've seen no updates via Curse, and seems nothing new on the website for quite awhile. I'm running v 5.1.5 - am I missing an update?
If anyone knows something that I'm missing, please do let me know! Also, if you know a mapping system addon that is comparable to Carbonite that I can use temporarily until Carbonite is updated, let me know what it is.
To the developers that took over Carbonite from the old guard, thanks for your dedication and commitment in keeping Carbonite going. I applaud you in stepping up, and for your commitment in doing so.

10-20-14, 04:59 PM   #143
LadyTash
A Murloc Raider
Just another Thank You for your Dedication

I know that all to often people get frustrated when their add-on's aren't updated on the day a patch is released. I also know how much work goes into an add-on of Carbonite's caliber. While using the Blizzard map and quest interface is clunky, it is what it is and only makes us appreciate more those wonderful Carbonite features and as other's have expressed, life must come first and so, we shall wait as patiently as possible and endure the hardships that are Blizzard.
Safe Travels and God Speed

10-21-14, 09:21 AM   #144
SandyThomas83
A Defias Bandit
just so u know

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...24&postcount=8

10-21-14, 09:26 AM   #145
SandyThomas83
A Defias Bandit
Talking they will not let us down......

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...24&postcount=8

10-23-14, 10:46 PM   #146
Mysfit
A Murloc Raider
I just sent a donation. My way to say thanks for all the hard work. Hope more people do the same.

10-26-14, 02:17 PM   #147
matt_b19
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Before I donate I believe we are entitled to some sort of estimate as to when the addon may be in a usable state.

We must remember that most addon authors made their modules useable either during WoD beta or during PTR(prior to patch launch).

This particular author has been promising updates for a very long time now.

Also, for the addon to work for the expac (2 weeks away) shouldnt all the quests data have already been collected from the beta?

Last edited by matt_b19 : 10-26-14 at 02:22 PM.

10-26-14, 03:40 PM   #148
KMJX
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by matt_b19 View Post
Before I donate I believe we are entitled to some sort of estimate as to when the addon may be in a usable state.

We must remember that most addon authors made their modules useable either during WoD beta or during PTR(prior to patch launch).

Also, for the addon to work for the expac (2 weeks away) shouldnt all the quests data have already been collected from the beta?
A weak first post, man. A very weak first post.

Donations are not mandatory, and have not been asked for, though they are welcomed. Donating or thinking of donating does not entitle you to anything at all, and not everyone had access or time to play the beta to fix their stuff.

The last information we got about update progress was less than a day ago, though not in this thread. (Hint: It's the first one below the stickies. Also refer to the link 2 posts above yours.)
What is broken has nothing to do with quests, there was no need to collect data for those, as it is handled by the same information given by the standard wow quest tracker, and displayed on the fancy maps which are now kaputt because things changed, shit happened, and the thing is gonna take longer than expected.

Last edited by KMJX : 10-26-14 at 03:51 PM.

10-26-14, 03:58 PM   #149
Kyzmet
A Murloc Raider

This particular Author took an add-on that had been abandoned and patched it to work and has continually worked on it and updated to continue to work. Donating should be done if you have been using it and it has helped you and made your WOW experience more enjoyable. Trying to shame him or make him look bad because he is not a full time add-on programmer and has to support himself and family with a RL job that requires his time before he can focus on a game add-on is very disrespectful.
If you wish to have him dedicate all of his time to this non-profitable hobby then perhaps offering to pay his RL salary for a few weeks with all of the hardware and access he needs he will have it 100%. Until then pop the top off your preferred beverage take a sip and wait. It's a game after all and if not having Carbonite is that troubling for you then you should have donated LONG ago.

10-27-14, 03:32 AM   #150
Killekille
A Murloc Raider
Cool hostile takeover?

maybe you should know, that someone else is trying to take over Carbonite :
Link to Curseforge

Just in case you want to intervene or to invite them to join your development team.

10-27-14, 03:46 PM   #151
matt_b19
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Killekille View Post
maybe you should know, that someone else is trying to take over Carbonite :
Link to Curseforge

Just in case you want to intervene or to invite them to join your development team.
They didnt say "take over".

They are "attempting" to make a new version of it. They are right to do so as Carbonite as it is hasnt been fully maintained for a long time now.

10-27-14, 07:56 PM   #152
Fathersin
A Cyclonian

This will probably get squelched.. but I particularly do not care at this point.
<soapbox>

I have supported many addon authors of the last ten years by money, by code, and by helping. To have the audacity to demand something for something you can get for free is quite frankly why none of my addons are public. It gets fixed when it gets fixed. Donating is not a requirement nor is your usage of any addon on wowinterface, curse, or wowace. It is just one of the many options you can do to support addon authors.

There are other addon's you can use and donate to if you wish. By all means do not let us stop you from doing so. I have spent hours going through carbonite's code the moment it was released from the original author. I know the task that Rythal has set in front of himself and I know it is not one that is easy. I decided that rewriting the whole thing would be easier and decided not to venture into fixing carbonite. Of course that is also my personal opinion. And like Rythal, Most of us have this thing called a life that likes to interfere with any game time we have. So being appreciative of someone who sets aside their own gaming time to make a mod to make a game easier for YOU to play should at least be the minimum you show.

There were many addons updated on the PTR that were still broke when it went live. Actually all of them were. hell, It took about 3 days just to get my UI back in order so I was not looking 72 inches across to see my party members and the minimap. Just because it worked on the PTR doesn't mean it will work when it goes live. You can thank blizzard for that. And since you pay them a monthly subscription you are entitled to go fuss at them for breaking the addons. I'm sure they will listen to you and correct the situation immediately...

People like yourself demanding, crying, or just generally bitching, make it difficult for addon authors to continue updating through major patches or just altogether. I've seen hundreds of addon's, over the last ten years, just fall off because asshats like yourself, act the way that you do.

YOU are NOT entitled to anything on here. Nor am I or anyone else for that matter. I've made my donations. I've used the addons. I've done plenty of coding and patching and forwarded that info to authors. I did not wait until it was broke and decide to use a donation as leverage to get it fixed when it was already being worked on.

Either find something else, be productive and find someway to help or STFU and wait.
</soapbox >

10-28-14, 07:55 AM   #153
Saundra Lynn
A Kobold Labourer
Post Carbonite AddOn

I can't wait to have my Carbonite back. U never really appreciate what you have til it's gone. I'm so lost without it.

10-28-14, 01:42 PM   #154
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Fathersin View Post
Either find something else, be productive and find someway to help or STFU and wait.
</soapbox >
I seriously want to have your babies. No, really. I'm serious.

10-28-14, 01:50 PM   #155
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
They didnt say "take over".

They are "attempting" to make a new version of it. They are right to do so as Carbonite as it is hasnt been fully maintained for a long time now.
People have short memories...

Last update was in march to make the original code "working" to buy him some time. He already said it's being completely re-written...

All the threats, the crap, the talk, bottom line it's Rythal's leave the guy alone and let him do his thing. People seriously need to back off in a major way.

10-28-14, 02:08 PM   #156
Kyzmet
A Murloc Raider
I seriously don't get the whining and complaining.
Blizz maps have made huge improvements and while I greatly prefer the flexibility and usability of Carbonite due to being 50% blind I can function fine with the built in options. If you think you can do a better job than Rythal than by all means get jumping.
He is having to basically rewrite the add-on to get everything to work.
If you don't have the skill or training required to take over then step away form your electronic courage and wait.
If you have the skills and knowledge then download the newest one and rebuild it yourself and yet again quit trying to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and flame someone that is doing something to help others.
Don't want to donate? Don't donate.
Won't donate until it is fixed cool shut up and wait.
Think you can help Ry Send him a private message instead of trying to blow your own horn on a forum.

10-28-14, 08:22 PM   #157
Fathersin
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by eqsanctum View Post
I seriously want to have your babies. No, really. I'm serious.
Alas i'm afraid i have this marriage that prevents making babies or the act of attempting to make babies with others outside of the marriagees.

I'm honestly surprised the post has not been edited at minimum. I regret nothing i said so it won't be me changing it. just had enough of seeing it.

Last edited by Fathersin : 10-28-14 at 08:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add last sentence.

10-30-14, 03:07 AM   #158
neumond86
A Kobold Labourer
Does it work?

As the title says: does this addon work right now? had a big break from wow and always used carbonite and now want it back.

10-30-14, 03:11 AM   #159
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by neumond86 View Post
As the title says: does this addon work right now? had a big break from wow and always used carbonite and now want it back.
The official version doesn't work yet (Rythal is still working on a proper update), but there's an "experimental, buggy and incomplete" third-party hotfix that allows it to function in 6.0.

10-30-14, 06:40 AM   #160
Everfroszt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Smile

While I don't know the specifics of the Carbonite addon (haven't had a chance to check the code) and I don't know what kinds of optimisations in terms of size or space the author's made, modularisation can actually decrease the size of a memory and/or disk space footprint. It really depends on the author's use of optimising techniques, but given the professional UI and other elements of the addon in my experience, I'd say if it changes at all, the footprint will likely be smaller rather than larger.

Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Just a quick question about modularization, from a non-programmers viewpoint.

Will the combined parts have a much larger footprint because it is modularized?

I use a lot of the features of Carbonite; Map, BG, Punks (a little), Warehouse (especially for professions) and node routing (please tell me this is staying and how we can contribute when you're ready). I'm not sure if there is more that I'm not thinking of, but I'm glad to see the options are also (eventually) going to be re-hauled as that has been a long time gripe with Carbonite.

Thanks again for spearheading this large project!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite