05-26-13, 11:01 AM   #101
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by WhaleTune View Post
Love the work you are doing; and attempting to make Carbonite better...even with the hiccups.

NOTE - since 5.3 I cannot turn in Work Orders at the farm. The question mark which usually shows to the left of the active quest list is not there. These are specifically the quests you can turn in without going back to the NPC.

For that matter, the usual quest help icons don't work either. (those icons which also show to the left of active quests which cast spells and do other manner of things instead of searching through our bags).

Aside from the above - Is there a way I can send you a video of stuff I think could help make Carbonite a better interface? Would you prefer a link via YouTube (if I upload the video)?
Youtube works

05-26-13, 11:02 AM   #102
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Gulgoth View Post
So I just found that if you search the thread for 'donation' to find a way to help out, the most recent results indicated the Donate button on Rythal.com is disabled. I think its working now, but could you confirm that?
Yes rythal.com works, or the links from either wowI or curse.

08-15-13, 10:28 AM   #103
Lacerace
A Defias Bandit
New update

I have been using Carbonite for quite some time now, and always enjoyed one feature this addon had to offer. The quest finished sounds. They're amazing and fun whenever you're questing, but there's one problem. I remember when I could turn off my ingame sound, but the carbonite sounds would still work. Now it's a different story. I have to have my ingame sound on in order for the carbonite sounds to work. I see other addons are able to do this. Deadly Boss Mods for one... Anyways, is there any way you'll be able to fix this?

09-12-13, 05:01 PM   #104
Amatyi1
A Murloc Raider
Smile Awesome

I've used Carbonite for as long as I can remember and I can't imagine playing wow without it. Huge thanks to the original creators (I also gave monetary thanks and will to you as well if your willing to take it on and update it) and huge thanks to you for taking on such a large project and wanting to improve it.

For everyone that has problems updating Carbonite, I downloaded WOW Matrix and I can install and update any addon I want all within one program. It also lets me launch wow directly from the ui.

Again, I wanted to give huge thanks to you for taking this on and good luck with all your doing.

On a separate note, I recently had a problem with the latest patch. Every time I would press M for the carbonite map it would force close wow. I read a thread telling me to reset the ui by deleting the WTF, interface and cache folders. I copied all my addons to another folder before doing this, then deleted the folders. When I copied them back and logged on all my carbonite notes and customization were gone. Is there any way to bring them back and in the future what should I do to back them up so this doesn't happen again. I make a lot of notes about which flight points I have, Where trainers are (so I don't have to ask each time) and more so a lot of hard work is down the drain. Please tell me I can fix this?

09-12-13, 07:46 PM   #105
davie261
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I believe they are in the WTF folder in SavedVariables/Carbonite.Notes.lua try that

09-13-13, 06:31 AM   #106
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Amatyi1 View Post
For everyone that has problems updating Carbonite, I downloaded WOW Matrix and I can install and update any addon I want all within one program. It also lets me launch wow directly from the ui.
As you probably don't know, I'll try to "enlighten" you to the issues with wow Matrix.

Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post

WOWMATRIX STEALS ADDONS AND MAKES PROFIT FROM IT WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM THE ADDON AUTHORS.

IF YOU ARE USING WOWMATRIX, YOU ARE DIRECTLY DAMAGING THE PEOPLE WHO DELIVER THESE ADDONS TO YOU.

Please follow this link.. They explain it better than me...

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22069

09-25-13, 02:20 AM   #107
Amatyi1
A Murloc Raider
Smile

As you probably don't know, I'll try to "enlighten" you to the issues with wow Matrix.
Thank you for letting me know about this. I had no idea. I actually just downloaded Curse a few days ago cause someone told me they kept up to date better then wow matrix so I'll stop using wow matrix all together now. Thanks for the info and I'll pass it on.

09-25-13, 07:15 PM   #108
riktor
A Defias Bandit

I don't see how that is true, how can wowmatrix hurt any one? all they do is allow people to download addons, with out having to visit all the websites of all your addons, just one interface to download all your addons and to update them.. I doubt they are braking any laws..

09-26-13, 06:58 AM   #109
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Perhaps not, but they are probably breaking some laws, or at least some licensing agreements. And they are certainly acting outside the wishes of addon authors.

09-26-13, 11:24 AM   #110
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by riktor View Post
I don't see how that is true, how can wowmatrix hurt any one? all they do is allow people to download addons, with out having to visit all the websites of all your addons, just one interface to download all your addons and to update them.. I doubt they are braking any laws..
I never gave wowmatrix permission to have Carbonite, and neither did the original authors. Speaking as an author I can say they have been a headache to me as I have no control at all about which version of the addon they are hosting or sending people, and several times now they were sending broken versions.

09-26-13, 03:48 PM   #111
Amatyi1
A Murloc Raider
Smile WowMatrix vs Curse

Originally Posted by riktor View Post
I don't see how that is true, how can wowmatrix hurt any one? all they do is allow people to download addons, with out having to visit all the websites of all your addons, just one interface to download all your addons and to update them.. I doubt they are breaking any laws..
If they get monetary compensation from advertisers (without passing it on to the addon author) without having permission to distribute the addon in the first place, that is hurting them. It's taking money away from the addon author. I had downloaded curse right before he posted that link, but I uninstalled wowmatrix after reading that link. Just so you know curse does the same thing but with curse you get the addon update weeks earlier (as soon as the author updates it) and with wowmatrix you don't receive the update till weeks later. Curse is very user friendly and now that I have it I like it better then Wowmatrix. I support all the hard work that the addon authors do to make Wow life easier for us and wouldn't dream of taking money away from them that is hard earned. I'll be using Curse addon automatic updater from now on. Thanks for the tip

Update on 10/02/2013 I just recently switched to the premium version of Curse for 29 a year and it was good money spent. Thanks for opening my eyes to this problem.

I do however have a question for Rythal, the new Carbonite author, I spoke with someone on wow that said she had the current version of Carbonite (from using Curse, she is the one that talked me into switching to Curse right before I saw this) and she had a map of the timeless isle (which I didn't). I switched to Curse and updated Carbonite and it still didn't give me the timeless isle map. I found a beta update to Carbonite and moved my interface/addon carbonite files to another location (as backup) then installed the beta version. After doing this I had carbonite updated to the latest patch with the timeless isle map and everything but I lost all my numerous notes and customizations for carbonite. That's when I switched to the premium version of Curse where you can back up your addons customization and all, (but it was too late) can I copy back the old version and get my notes back or did it change the wtf folder when I copied over the beta version? Is there any way to get my notes back? The customization isn't a problem and I've already fixed that but I had notes of where certain ach's were and high dollar items and such that I don't want to lose. Please help.

Last edited by Amatyi1 : 10-02-13 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Updated to Curse Premium

10-14-13, 03:17 PM   #112
Kreelor
A Firelord

I read through the multi-page comments posted in this thread, many of which have no relevance to "Current Plans for Carbonite" (this topic's title). Things got side-tracked quite a bit.

The last (most recent) post in this thread which actually related (a tiny bit) to "Current Plans..." was this one:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...1&postcount=91

Since that post (which was over a year ago!), this thread topic has not been updated, even though some things have changed, while others have not been done, or at least announced as having been done. This leaves me wondering what the current status of Carbonite is and also what the current "Plan" is for development, if any.

I've asked several pertinent questions on this forum in other thread topics, but I seldom get replies. Often, I get no replies from Rythal at all, even though he's the only one who is in a position to reply. Most of my recent questions and observations have all been sincere attempts to help Rythal improve Carbonite. Others who are trying to help update various lua files aren't replying either, even when I ask them questions. Utter silence.

I know some people hate it when users point out mistakes, omissions, or issues which are confusing. They call it griping or complaining. Now, I guess I'm doing just that, in this particular post. But, unless I know what has been done (behind the scenes which we are never told), or what the current status of the "Current Plans for Carbonite" is, then we who want to help, have no idea how to contribute. There is no coordination, even though I've suggested it. It's no wonder things are taking years to complete the addon to a release version of "Carbonite2." Maybe Rythal needs a correspondence Secretary, if he's too busy with other things to inform us with frequent, small, and quick updated status reports?

I haven't and won't give up on hoping for this addon to be superlative. I'm always trying to help, even if it's in some small way. I've completed the updates for the FlightMaster.lua, Alliance & Horde, (except for a very few locations), and have begun working on both the Mailboxes and Innkeepers lua files. Coordination by someone is required. Otherwise, nobody knows what anybody else is doing, or where and how to post updated data in an easy-to-follow, convenient manner to avoid duplication of effort.

10-15-13, 12:54 AM   #113
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Well lets look at it...

Future:
Maps:
1) Separate purely the maps into it's own addon "Carbonite Maps" to be the base starting point of all future
work. (DONE!)
2) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceDB w/ Profiles, and AceOptions (DONE! except profiles which i'm working on)
3) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceLocale, update every part of the maps to be locale friendly. (NOT DONE)
4) Celebrate cuz were on our way with a modular Carbonite. (Carbonite is modular now.)

Quests:
1) Convert all the quests to plain english from the bytecode (DONE)
2) Make it easier to add/remove/fix quests, converting it to plain english will make it huge ... possibly larger
then the original carbonite we got (35000 quests, 4-5 lines each quest...) maybe split them up in a
subfolder by zone? continent? patch level? (DONE)
3) get the new quests added (NOT DONE)

10-15-13, 09:07 AM   #114
Kreelor
A Firelord

Thank you, Rythal!
It's great to get a glimpse into your process. You've done a lot of work and have completed very much.

Under "Future:" you have only 4 items listed as still-to-complete:

-- Profiles
-- Make maps 'locale friendly'
-- Get new quests added
-- Celebrate.

After completing those, will that mark the end of the Beta/Alpha stages so that Carbonite2 will then be released as a completed "Release" version?

Are you going to retire upon announcement of that long-awaited release version? heh heh

Thanks again for the information.

11-20-13, 12:10 PM   #115
bkray1
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Carb Maps

Hi Rythal,

Has the Maps only version been released? I can't seem to locate it and was just wondering.

1) Separate purely the maps into it's own addon "Carbonite Maps" to be the base starting point of all future
work. (DONE!)

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Well lets look at it...

Future:
Maps:
work. (DONE!)
2) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceDB w/ Profiles, and AceOptions (DONE! except profiles which i'm working on)
3) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceLocale, update every part of the maps to be locale friendly. (NOT DONE)
4) Celebrate cuz were on our way with a modular Carbonite. (Carbonite is modular now.)

Quests:
1) Convert all the quests to plain english from the bytecode (DONE)
2) Make it easier to add/remove/fix quests, converting it to plain english will make it huge ... possibly larger
then the original carbonite we got (35000 quests, 4-5 lines each quest...) maybe split them up in a
subfolder by zone? continent? patch level? (DONE)
3) get the new quests added (NOT DONE)

11-20-13, 02:12 PM   #116
Sparkplug
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by bkray1 View Post
Hi Rythal,

Has the Maps only version been released? I can't seem to locate it and was just wondering.

work. (DONE!)
The Carbonite beta is all modular so you can download it and turn off everything but the maps.

12-03-13, 02:18 PM   #117
Mageleader
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Updates

Rythal when is the next Carbonite update coming out? Right now it is so far behind and has so many bugs with all the updates that WoW has had that its practically useless. Carbonite is the only map I use so it being as messed up and behind as it is right now really hurts my game and I know I'm not the only one.

01-02-14, 09:20 AM   #118
mikeschirmer
A Kobold Labourer
carbonite

Carbonite is the best addon out there but is so outdated it is not any good at all in the timeless isle and teh quests are not updated. Is this ever going to be updated. I check everyday and nothing?

HELP

01-10-14, 09:00 PM   #119
Amatyi1
A Murloc Raider
Timeless Isle

Originally Posted by mikeschirmer View Post
Carbonite is the best addon out there but is so outdated it is not any good at all in the timeless isle and teh quests are not updated. Is this ever going to be updated. I check everyday and nothing?

HELP
I have the timeless isle map and quests on my version of carbonite. I'm not sure what your updating to but if your updated to latest version you should have it.

01-10-14, 09:03 PM   #120
Amatyi1
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by bkray1 View Post
Hi Rythal,

work. (DONE!)
I don't think he released a "maps only version" but has it divided into several modules. I could be wrong but if your on the enter world screen and you click on addons you can turn off all addons except the maps one or whatever you want. I think that's what he was trying to do, but like I said I could be wrong and he could have something in the works.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite