01-25-14, 04:45 AM   #121
niffboy
Premium Member
Premium Member
Just wanted to say "thank you" for this very, very awesome addon. I used it back in the day for it's amazing quest guides, but now that I know pretty much all quests on both sides by heart, I STILL use Carbonite for it's awesome maps. They are by far the best you can get. After all these years I still get confused on the levels for dungeons and to be able to look on the map, anywhere in the world, and see instances and their level range is like magic. I have donated several times in the past, but strongly considering making it a monthly thing!

01-29-14, 07:38 PM   #122
Lasminia
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite timeless isle update

Are the updates for this game still happening? I've been waiting since Timeless Isle to come out for an upgrade because my map shows the timeless isle content somewhere in the center of the world instead of where it's supposed to be. Is this a bug with the game interface or just a glitch with the addon? Plans on updating? I hope so! Plan on donating if this happens!

02-01-14, 03:15 AM   #123
Tequima
An Aku'mai Servant
Re Timeless Isle

I don't have this problem. Have you tried moving the old carbonite folders to a temp directory elsewhere than the interface folder and re-installing from fresh from wowinterface? Sometimes this can resolve issues with old code interfering.

02-17-14, 08:39 AM   #124
mscott998
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
is carbonite development dead? been nearly a year since a release version. and 6 months since beta.

07-01-14, 11:51 PM   #125
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by mscott998 View Post
is carbonite development dead? been nearly a year since a release version. and 6 months since beta.
You posted this in Feb (over 4-1/2 months ago). Today is July 1, 2014 and I'm not sure if it's in development or not. There isn't any feedback about what's in progress, if anything at all.

It may not be totally dead, but it seems to be in a very deep coma. Prognosis seems grim.

09-18-14, 09:12 PM   #126
kystonekop
A Kobold Labourer
Smile Is Carbonite dead???

I don't think it is dead. Remember, when the beta came out, Blizz announced that Pandaria was coming to an end, and WoD was in development. So, with an entirely different engine driving the game, there is going to be a steep learning curve for the next version of carbonite, as well as breaking it down to a modular and plain English level. Given that most of the work on the latest version and the Beta has been by one person, I think that it would be better to wait until he has access too the new code and engine so he can begin development of the new 6.something of Carbonite. I say let's give him a break and see if he can work it into his schedule of work and life and family. Also, I have seen much help offered over time since he "volunteered" to take over the further development of carbonite, but wonder if it ever "showed up". So here is to Rythal, and all the wonderful work he has put in for what we have.

09-19-14, 04:58 PM   #127
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by kystonekop View Post
So here is to Rythal, and all the wonderful work he has put in for what we have.
The quote above (from your message) is the only part of your statements that I can agree with. I don't give a hoot about the upcoming expansions. I've only been wondering why he has neglected "talking" with us about the current version (as of Sep 19, 2014). Everything about the current or planned activities for the addon seems to be hidden and/or secretive, and this is supposedly a set of forums for discussion about the Carbonite Addon for WoW, which should at least include frequent author replies. (imo). Problems still abound. Suggestions have been made. No response from him even though other users reply with their guesses as to what they think he's working on or planning!

Granted... I too have life issues as most of us do, but I'm always checking these forums for information constantly, and most often several times daily! I've seen nothing offered about the "Current Plans For Carbonite" (this topic) and also any information about what is actually being worked on, etc. I'm not complaining; I'm only voicing an observation, which anyone can check for themselves.

I'm fairly certain that Rythal has blocked all my posts (at least I've been told that by other users on this/these forums). Therefore, he won't ever know how much I appreciate what he has done, nor will he know that as the 'author' he might be neglecting the same people who use this addon. I'm sure each and everyone of us users want to encourage him. I do it in my own way whether or not other people like it or not. Simply calling me a complainer is just a side-ways attack to circumvent and avoid the issues which I try to point out. You don't have to like it. My opinions are based upon my own experiences and observations.

He hasn't even mentioned whether or not he has finally (personally) gotten a character to Pandaria for the quests there. The mapping and the 'red question mark' to find some "common places" is still in error (in several places). That tells me he hasn't begun questing there. (I'm not talking about Raids - I never do them! I don't care about them!). I care more about the basic functionality of the core addon. And, neither am I talking about "game-breaking" issues. I'm referring to issues within the addon itself pertaining to User functionality.

How long has it been since an update to the Beta/Alpha release?... let alone the "Release Version?" -- Not even a word about what's going on! If any mention of those things has been mentioned, they are buried somewhere deep within these forums, mixed in with irrelevant topic threads, and therefore lost from users looking for answers.

I still care about the addon. I love the fact that Rythal has taken time out of his life to do what he has done. I only wish he was far more interactive with us about his plans/progress, etc. I don't know why it remains such a big secret. It can't be a 'time' issue since he replies to other (developer-related) threads. I'm only guessing, but I could understand why he may want/need other "LUA Pro's" to chip in some time and effort. He shouldn't have to carry this burden alone. And, I'll bet some of those other addon authors use the Carbonite addon as well (even though they deny it?), and they could help him refine this addon to what it was intended to be from the beginning.

If that were done, it would be a GREAT foundation for the next addon [even if he (personally) doesn't intend to work on it].

Last edited by Kreelor : 09-19-14 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typo

09-21-14, 12:28 PM   #128
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
No your posts are not blocked... I just don't respond to every post.

As for what is going on, and what is being worked on, The last I said was that I was working on localization, and that is still what i'm working on. The main Carbonite has now been fully Localized so any string I could find (1299 in total) can be customized per language, Today i started on the module ones, finishing the smaller ones like Carbonite Notes and Carbonite Info, I'm hoping to have them all finished except Quests before i'm dragged from the PC. Once Quests is done I'm going to move into starting on getting everything working with WoD.

09-21-14, 05:12 PM   #129
mrespman
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post

As for what is going on, and what is being worked on, The last I said was that I was working on localization, and that is still what i'm working on. The main Carbonite has now been fully Localized so any string I could find (1299 in total) can be customized per language, Today i started on the module ones, finishing the smaller ones like Carbonite Notes and Carbonite Info, I'm hoping to have them all finished except Quests before i'm dragged from the PC. Once Quests is done I'm going to move into starting on getting everything working with WoD.
I love you Rythal. Keep up the amazing work.

09-22-14, 07:34 AM   #130
Kreelor
A Firelord

Rythal, may God bless you in all things! Thank you for replying, and especially for including an overview of your current tasks and some future ones. It is very reassuring to read your post. Thanks again!

10-07-14, 05:59 PM   #131
BossHawg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Talking Carbonite is being updated for WoD

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post

As for what is going on... once Quests is done I'm going to move into starting on getting everything working with WoD.
O M G it's still being worked on?!!!
You can expect another 'donation' from me whenever your masterpiece is unleashed upon the masses again.

10-07-14, 09:58 PM   #132
cjscully
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by BossHawg View Post
You can expect another 'donation' from me whenever your masterpiece is unleashed upon the masses again.
You and me both!

10-16-14, 01:33 AM   #133
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
Yes because not donating now, inspires him to want to do it...

Not even the point..

He's one guy, support him or don't but don't gripe about a free addon

10-16-14, 06:05 PM   #134
technomike
A Murloc Raider
Raise your hand if you think 'donation' equals 'payment for product or service received'

10-17-14, 08:59 AM   #135
Whoanylle
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up Thank you Rythal!

I have been playing WOW for years (along with my husband and lots of friends) and Carbonite is by far my favorite addon. Thank you for picking up the torch a few years ago and continuing to carry it now. I wish I had your skill and knowledge or I would be volunteering to help you get this across the finish line. Instead, all I can say is how much I appreciate you doing this!

10-17-14, 05:10 PM   #136
chillout
A Kobold Labourer
Hi there,

I barely played wow in the last few years but Carbonite is my favorite addon I've been using it for years.
Now i just got back to wow again but actually it feels terrible without carbonite.
I am curious about its state, when can we expect it?
Actually i could even give some help, if there is something that doesn't require experts i have some knowledge about coding but i'vent got in touch with lua so far. i can do some search and i think i could do some basic stuffs, or whatever that helps:)
Anyways I would really help if you needed.
And thank you for all your work.

10-17-14, 06:12 PM   #137
jrbaytown
A Defias Bandit
Map

I love Carbonite, as so many others on these forums do. But the main feature I greatly miss is simply the map. I'm sure all of the pieces of Carbonite are tied together in programming, but a break off of the map for potentially quicker updates would be awesome. Probably not possible, but since these forums are here to share general discussion, I thought I'd mention it.

While I enjoy the other modules, questing, battlegrounds, etc, it's the map that really helps me navigate the world and make the game more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Ross

10-17-14, 11:50 PM   #138
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by jrbaytown View Post
I love Carbonite, as so many others on these forums do. But the main feature I greatly miss is simply the map. I'm sure all of the pieces of Carbonite are tied together in programming, but a break off of the map for potentially quicker updates would be awesome. Probably not possible, but since these forums are here to share general discussion, I thought I'd mention it.

While I enjoy the other modules, questing, battlegrounds, etc, it's the map that really helps me navigate the world and make the game more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Ross
It's been separated into individual pieces since the 5.2 beta version, and the 6.0 release will be the same.

10-18-14, 09:34 AM   #139
cjyerger
Premium Member
Premium Member
what can we do to help

Is there anything we as users can do to help like gather information for you? If there is something I can install and then upload information I would gladly do it. I have been a carbonite fan since back when you could still buy it before Blizz said you cant anymore.

10-18-14, 03:42 PM   #140
Sindelar
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by cjyerger View Post
Is there anything we as users can do to help like gather information for you? If there is something I can install and then upload information I would gladly do it. I have been a carbonite fan since back when you could still buy it before Blizz said you cant anymore.
Agreed, if there's anything those of us without programming knowledge can do to help, please let us know!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite