10-16-13, 06:08 AM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Carbonite map(s)

If I understand it correctly, Carbonite has only 1 map (a customized Google map), but it can be viewed in two different views; a larger-view and a smaller-view of the same parent map.

If a POI is placed upon the BLIZZARD MAP (and it is also displayed upon BLIZZARD'S minimap), then Carbonite is supposed to be able to display that POI on its own map when users select the option to "Show POI's on Carbonite maps).

My question is, why does Carbonite display the POI only upon the larger-view Carbonite map and not on the smaller-view (of the same Carbonite parent map)?

My example images illustrate the problem. I'm using the Zygor Leveling Guides and it places a round, green 'POI' on BLIZZARD'S MAIN MAP to indicate a 'goto point', but it is not being displayed upon Carbonite's smaller-view" map, even though it is displayed on Carbonite's larger-view map.
I'm wondering why it doesn't, since they are supposedly both the same map?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_Bullets-on-maps-1.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	7899  Click image for larger version

Name:	Green_Bullets-on-maps-2.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	524.6 KB
ID:	7900  

10-16-13, 11:36 AM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
They are two different forms of the map, the smaller one is a minimap replacement, the larger is a world map replacement. It only tries to bring across the points when in world map mode.

10-16-13, 06:59 PM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
They are two different forms of the map, the smaller one is a minimap replacement, the larger is a world map replacement. It only tries to bring across the points when in world map mode.
Thank you for replying.

So, they aren't merely different views [frames] of the [same Carbonite map] (which was stated previously somewhere else on this forum)! That's news to me.

-- If the smaller view is a minimap replacement, then why doesn't it display exactly like the Blizzard minimap which it is replacing? It shows the green icon as I mentioned), but Carbonites smaller map (minimap replacement) does not.

-- The larger Carbonite map is a [Blizzard] world map replacement, yet it does show the green icon.

-- Why doesn't the smaller one show everything that Blizzard's world map, Blizzard's minimap, and Carbonite's main map show?

-- What is wrong or missing from the Carbonite smaller map (minimap replacement) that prevents it from showing what all the other maps show?

11-10-13, 04:15 PM   #4
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
This is confusing to me. Is it really a replacement (a different version of Blizzard's Mini Map), or is it actually the Blizzard Mini Map which gets merged into the Carbonite map?

This shows how Carbonite is worded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carbonites-minimap-replacement.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	7936  

11-11-13, 04:59 AM   #5
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm reading this and shaking my head and facepalming...

Dude, you are asking why ZYGOR's POI (the green dot) is not showing on CARB's map... They are 2 different addons..

Maybe it's because you have not told Zygor to paint it on Carb's map... If addons want to paint ANYTHING on Carb's map they have to use the correct calls to the specific functions, eg the waypointing system.

The reason you don't see the green POI on Carb is because Zygor is drawing it SPECIFICALLY on the BLIZZ minimap.

You want Zygor to use Carb's map? TELL it to use Carb's waypointing...

11-11-13, 12:23 PM   #6
Kreelor
A Firelord

Thanks, JimJoBlue for your post. But, your reply did not relate to my most recent question which I asked of Rythal. He's the one who made certain statements, and I'm trying to find out what his statements actually mean.

Have you read and understood everything previously posted in this thread? By the way, the Zygor green blob was used only as an example, since it's large and easy to see. There are other things which do not port over from Blizzard's Mini Map and Carbonites larger map.

You are mistaken when you say:
"Dude, you are asking why ZYGOR's POI (the green dot) is not showing on CARB's map..."

I never said that Zygor's POI green icon wasn't showing on Carbonite's map. It does show!!!

What I said was, if it is showing on Blizzard's Mini Map, Blizzard's Main Map, and Carbonite's larger map, then why doesn't Carbonite's minimized view display it, as well? The unanswered issue relates to Carbonite's minimized view, and to why it does not show everything that all the other maps show!

You seem to be saying that Zygor is responsible to add code to point to the Carbonite minimized view. I don't understand that. I don't understand why Carbonite's minimized view can't/won't display exactly what it's larger version and Blizzard's Mini Map both show. To me, it should --- if it's truly "replacing" Blizzard's Mini Map!

I can't get a straight answer from anyone. At least, I can't get answer that makes sense to me.

Last edited by Kreelor : 11-20-13 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Changed Carbonite's "minimap" to Carbonite's "minimized view" where applicable.

11-12-13, 09:55 AM   #7
Chmee
A Molten Giant
First, just to be clear, I don't have anything to do with the writing of Carbonite or any other addon, so what I say in these forums is my opinion, not necessarily gospel. Second, I have been using Carbonite for a long time, and I think I have a pretty good idea how it works. That said...

By default, WoW has two maps: the large map and the minimap. They are completely different entities, and have different APIs. The Carbonite map is a replacement for the large Blizzard map. It has nothing to do, directly, with the minimap. It does have a "minimized" view, and therein, I think, lies the confusion. The minimized Carbonite map is not the minimap, nor is it a replacement for the minimap. In particular it does not use the minimap api - it uses the large map api, even when minimized. I think, but am not certain, that one thing it does do is to supress some icons (when minimized) simply to keep down the clutter.

The minimap may be merged with the Carbonite map, or it may be docked in the Carbonite map. Frankly, I'm not sure what the difference is between these two options, but certainly "docked" implies that it is still a separate object with a separate api. I suspect the same is true when the minimap is "merged", but I don't know. In any case, though, if you try to use the minimized Carbonite map, placed in a particular location, as the "minimap", if the minimap is merged with or docked in the Carbonite map, you will find when you enlarge the map that there is nothing in the particular location where you were keeping the minimized map. This is of course not the case in either the default Blizz interface or using Carbonite with the minimap not merged or docked - because as I said above they are compeletely separate objects. When you open the default Blizz map, the minimap is not affected. When you open the Carbonite map, the minimap is only affected if it is merged with or docked in the Carbonite map.

That's my understanding. If I'm wrong, perhaps Rythal can clarify where I'm wrong.

11-20-13, 04:06 PM   #8
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
By default, WoW has two maps: the large map and the minimap. They are completely different entities, and have different APIs. The Carbonite map is a replacement for the large Blizzard map. It has nothing to do, directly, with the minimap. It does have a "minimized" view, and therein, I think, lies the confusion. The minimized Carbonite map is not the minimap, nor is it a replacement for the minimap. In particular it does not use the minimap api - it uses the large map api, even when minimized. I think, but am not certain, that one thing it does do is to supress some icons (when minimized) simply to keep down the clutter.
Thank you, Chmee, for replying. At least you replied! Your explanation of the naming of the various maps and their individual functioning sounds good to me.

From my point of view, I believe you reiterated the primary point I have been making all along. Additionally, you pointed out that "some" of the icons might be suppresed to avoid clutter.

I've never mentioned this before, but here's the main reason I've been pursuing this/these map issues. While I'm playing the game, I nearly always have the Carbonite minimized view open on my screen. It's what I look at when following waypoints or spotting a host of other POI locations. It is much easier than opening Carbonite's larger view which covers most of my display.

Carbonite no longer displays certain things on either of its two map views (ex. Repair npc's), and Blizzard's Mini Map also has a number of missing Repair npc's as well as other things, like Flightmaster icons, and more.

You said in reference to Carbonite's minimized view:
"In particular it does not use the (Blizzard) minimap api - it uses the large map api, even when minimized."
-- [Note: I inserted the (Blizzard) for clarification.]

So, I'm wondering if a Carbonite addon author 'could' allow users a check-box method to include one or more of those "supressed icons" (the ones which already appear on Blizzard's Mini Map)? If so, then users could update their own lua files when necessary, if some icons are missing or in the wrong locations. That way, what seems like clutter to some people may be a valuable asset to others who prefer seeing what Blizzard's Mini Map (normally) shows.

Last edited by Kreelor : 11-21-13 at 06:23 PM. Reason: changed wording from "of its two maps" to "of its two map views"

11-21-13, 04:41 PM   #9
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Thank you, Chmee, for replying. At least you replied!

Carbonite no longer displays certain things on either of its two maps…

You said in reference to Carbonite's minimized view:
-- [Note: I inserted the (Blizzard) for clarification.]

So, I'm wondering if a Carbonite addon author 'could' allow users a check-box method to include one or more of those "supressed icons" (the ones which already appear on Blizzard's Mini Map)? If so, then users could update their own lua files when necessary, if some icons are missing or in the wrong locations. That way, what seems like clutter to some people may be a valuable asset to others who prefer seeing what Blizzard's Mini Map (normally) shows.
You're welcome.

I do not know the answer to this question, but let me reiterate: Carbonite does not have two maps, it has only one.

BTW, the way I use Carbonite is tied to the fact that I use nUI. So the [Blizzard] minimap sits in the middle of my dashboard (at the bottom of the screen) and the minimized Carbonite map sits in the infopanel on the right side of the dashboard, so I can see it all the time unless I need to switch to some other infopanel (Skada, for example). When it's in the infopanel the Carbonite map is considerably wider than the minimap, but it's about the same height.

Last edited by Chmee : 11-21-13 at 04:44 PM.

11-21-13, 06:37 PM   #10
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
I do not know the answer to this question, but let me reiterate: Carbonite does not have two maps, it has only one.
I knew that already. I simply made a typo, so I corrected it to read:
"Carbonite no longer displays certain things on either of its two map views"
Thanks for pointing it out. Nobody seems to care anyway, except me, so I'm done. Rythal seems to have disappeared. I don't expect any more updates, so I'm just basically talking to myself, except for the kindness you've shown by replying. Take care and stay healthy and happy!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite map(s)