08-31-18, 10:28 AM   #1
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Implement QUEST_LOG_CRITERIA_UPDATE

This event is in the new documentation, but after going through UI code and extensive use of eventtrace I can't seem to detect any trace of its existence. An event telling us that a given quest has had it's criteria updated would be very handy since otherwise you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get this info.
08-31-18, 10:45 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by MuffinManKen View Post
This event is in the new documentation, but after going through UI code and extensive use of eventtrace I can't seem to detect any trace of its existence. An event telling us that a given quest has had it's criteria updated would be very handy since otherwise you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get this info.
In addition to my response to your previous this one as far as I have always known it to be ( they may have removed it since Legion started ) has always acted on quests with criteria to complete.

EG. Ancient Mana has the criteria of 3/3 Ancient Mana Nodes to find. Each trigger of that event will update the first number until it reaches the required number and inform you that the quest is completed via QUEST_COMPLETE I think if memory serves.
08-31-18, 10:50 AM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
It does indeed appear to be that they have removed that event from the game, I just tried it on the world quest that has the squirrels and nuts and the event didn't trigger. I definitely recall in the past this was working for the regular quests. So time to check those out just in case they don't work with world quests.

Also, just noticed that even QUEST_COMPLETE doesn't trigger. Did they remove these and forgot to remove them from the documentation I wonder .

QUEST_WATCH_UPDATE also doesn't trigger despite actively working on a quest being watched and listed in my objective tracker.

It does look like using QUEST_LOG_UPDATE in combination with other functions are the only way to go ..

Last edited by Xrystal : 08-31-18 at 11:35 AM.
08-31-18, 12:06 PM   #4
MuffinManKen
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
QUEST_COMPLETE does fire, but it's not firing to say the quest can be turned in. It's part of the GOSSIP/Quest giver bit. When you click continue on the Quest dialog while handing it in, that's when it fires. It doesn't have the best name.
08-31-18, 12:54 PM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by MuffinManKen View Post
QUEST_COMPLETE does fire, but it's not firing to say the quest can be turned in. It's part of the GOSSIP/Quest giver bit. When you click continue on the Quest dialog while handing it in, that's when it fires. It doesn't have the best name.
Yeah I just found that out myself.
08-31-18, 04:06 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
As of my last export (Aug. 7) this event is registered for and referenced in QuestMapFrame.lua
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-31-18, 04:49 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
As of my last export (Aug. 7) this event is registered for and referenced in QuestMapFrame.lua
I initially said that too, as I used to use it myself, but I can confirm that despite it being used in blizzard code, we can't seem to use it in our addons. I have done several world quests, emissary quests and regular levelling quests and it never triggered once at all today. So maybe they have it in their code still but it never triggers either. It's not like they haven't left redundant code in there before

Lua Code:
  1. elseif ( event == "QUEST_LOG_CRITERIA_UPDATE" ) then
  2.     local questID, criteriaID, description, fulfilled, required = ...;
  4.     if (QuestMapFrame_CheckQuestCriteria(questID, criteriaID, description, fulfilled, required)) then
  5.       UIErrorsFrame:AddMessage(ERR_QUEST_ADD_FOUND_SII:format(description, fulfilled, required), YELLOW_FONT_COLOR:GetRGB());
  6.     end
09-01-18, 05:54 AM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by LanceDH View Post
Bit off topic, but am I wrong in saying CVAR_UPDATE also doesn't trigger as it should?
It's used in many of Blizzard's lua files, but it doesn't show up in the eventtrace and doesn't seem to trigger in add-ons.
It does trigger but only if the 3rd parameter of the SetCVar function is set.

EG.

Changing the Display Honor as Experience Bar doesn't trigger the CVAR_UPDATE because in their code they haven't done something along the lines of SetCVarBool("HonorAsExperience",true,"HONOR_AS_EXPERIENCE"). That third parameter would be what you test for on the CVAR_UPDATE event.

However, if you adjust the option setting to always display action bars ( this will show the outline of the buttons without icons in ), it will trigger the CVAR_UPDATE with the argument "ALWAYS_SHOW_MULTIBARS_TEXT" which is the 3rd value when they set their CVAR with SetCVarBool("alwaysShowActionBars",true,"ALWAYS_SHOW_MULTIBARS_TEXT")
09-01-18, 07:39 AM   #9
LanceDH
A Cyclonian

Ye I noticed the specific buttons in Blizzard's UI I was testing with didn't have the third argument filled in, hence why I deleted the comment.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Implement QUEST_LOG_CRITERIA_UPDATE