05-16-09, 09:50 PM   #41
Wazakage
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
You gotta remember, the timeline was really changed right at the beginning of the movie when Kirk's father was killed. And I liked the machine gun phaser things!
I addressed that in my post.

And who said that I didn't like the laser gun machine phaser things? I was making pewpew noises whenever they fired! (Much to the amusement and annoyance of my friends )
05-16-09, 09:55 PM   #42
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
You gotta remember, the timeline was really changed right at the beginning of the movie when Kirk's father was killed. And I liked the machine gun phaser things!
what gets me... is if they make more Star Trek movies... how are they going to deal with how so much changed...

and i have to say... the actor for Spock (just brain farted and forgot his name) was better than i expected...

oh oh oh.. and the guy that played Bones.. absolutely perfect!!!!!
05-16-09, 10:02 PM   #43
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Baltharus View Post
what gets me... is if they make more Star Trek movies... how are they going to deal with how so much changed...

and i have to say... the actor for Spock (just brain farted and forgot his name) was better than i expected...

oh oh oh.. and the guy that played Bones.. absolutely perfect!!!!!
Yeah, Spock is played by the same guy who plays Sylar in my favorite TV show, Heroes. But I can't for the life of me remember his name either. McCoy was dead on, with the voice, inflections and the attitude. As far as dealing with the alternate time-line, that's kind of the point I think. This way they can come up with alternate story lines, and still be reflective of what's come before... after... whatever, you know what I mean

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-16-09, 10:56 PM   #44
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Zachary Quinto.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
05-16-09, 10:58 PM   #45
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Thank you!

05-17-09, 12:02 AM   #46
Satrina
A Cyclonian
That's why I think that this use of the time travel angle was great. It was executed with perfect harmony with the ST multiverse, maybe even intentionally. Way back in Mirror, Mirror, Spock describes how there are an infinity of parallel universes with an infinity of the different possible timelines. Now we look at Nero who comes back and changes the timeline in "this" universe (spawning off a new infinity of timelines from the moment of entry out of the black hole, of course). Somewhere in all the infinities of universes one will still be, or got changed to be, or got spawned off to be, the timeline as told by what has come before so all of that canon is still preserved -- just in a universe down the street as it were.

The net effect is that Nero caused the universes to shift so that our camera into Star Trek is now simply filming a different one. They can keep whatever elements of canon they like, while introducing new elements and stories as they care to keep running with it.
05-17-09, 02:56 AM   #47
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
That's why I think that this use of the time travel angle was great. It was executed with perfect harmony with the ST multiverse, maybe even intentionally. Way back in Mirror, Mirror, Spock describes how there are an infinity of parallel universes with an infinity of the different possible timelines. Now we look at Nero who comes back and changes the timeline in "this" universe (spawning off a new infinity of timelines from the moment of entry out of the black hole, of course). Somewhere in all the infinities of universes one will still be, or got changed to be, or got spawned off to be, the timeline as told by what has come before so all of that canon is still preserved -- just in a universe down the street as it were.

The net effect is that Nero caused the universes to shift so that our camera into Star Trek is now simply filming a different one. They can keep whatever elements of canon they like, while introducing new elements and stories as they care to keep running with it.
i agree that it was beautifly done and has some merit for future productions and the like...

still.. the whole time travel and **** stuff up IS kinda cliche <.< but thats a personal preference

over all.. GREAT movie!
05-17-09, 10:32 AM   #48
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Lightbulb Suddenly something's bothering me

Saw it again this weekend. First movie I've seen twice in theatres in.. like .. 10 years.

Caught 2 things:
- Red shirt died in the space jump. Completely missed that. RED SHIRT DIES. Classic.
- Where the hell are the 29th century temporal prime directive people to stop all this?
05-17-09, 05:15 PM   #49
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I still haven't seen it, and now, I think I'll just wait it out for DVD. I should know better than to keep reading this thread, but I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.
05-17-09, 06:31 PM   #50
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
- Red shirt died in the space jump. Completely missed that. RED SHIRT DIES. Classic.
no wai!

(/sigh... too short)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-17-09, 06:40 PM   #51
mikma
A Cyclonian

I've gone to movies in order to see couple of great disappointments this year...
Then I went and watched this with my wife.

Holy balls, movie can't get any better that this! Even wife loved it, and we both ain't "fanbois"
05-17-09, 08:51 PM   #52
FlareCDE
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I had only a couple of complaints about the movie, and it was very very minor.

1) Since even in Enterprise they had Phase pistols, why were their weapons shooting bolts?

2) Since when did Federation Starships have machine gun phaser things on their hulls?
Both the Kepler and Enterprise had both types of weapons, the traditional phasers and these new (old) bolt type weapons. As for the hand phasers, who knows. But the effect of them switching from stun to kill was cool - you notice it best after Kirk stuns that Romulan.

I believe the first Enterprise has those pew pew lasers before they created / mounted phase cannons on it. I didn't follow Enterprise too closely, I hated that Vulcan chick with a passion. I would have to dig out the tech books (yes, they wrote and I own Trek tech books), but I don't think the phaser strips were around until TNG.

Some of the science made me cringe, but it's Star Trek, what else is new? It's already notorious for that sort of thing :P. I love how the teleporter seems to become more powerful the content they make. Classic move at the speed of plot Trek, almost to the point of homage since it's one of the biggest complaints I've seen. I thought it was actually in a TNG episode where they finally figured out how to warp to a ship in warp, and only then while matching warp speeds.

And yes, red shirt dies. Woot!
06-04-09, 09:19 PM   #53
Axl187
A Defias Bandit

The Shizznit

I saw it a second time as well and it was just as good for me.Also was my first time in forever seeing a movie twice at the theater.
06-04-09, 10:11 PM   #54
PigtailsofDoom
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
Really, you didn't catch that the first time? I've seen the movie twice, and the first time I saw it, as soon as the red shirt started acting reckless on the jump I started pulling on my bf's arm and yell/whispering to him "The red shirt is going to die! He's gonna die!" And sure enough, he did. :-)
06-09-09, 11:17 AM   #55
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by PigtailsofDoom View Post
Really, you didn't catch that the first time? I've seen the movie twice, and the first time I saw it, as soon as the red shirt started acting reckless on the jump I started pulling on my bf's arm and yell/whispering to him "The red shirt is going to die! He's gonna die!" And sure enough, he did. :-)
I wasn't trained on it enough, I think. I've always been more of a Next Gen / Voyager guy, and the red shirts were worn by command officers in those series..
06-09-09, 12:44 PM   #56
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

I'm a Trekker not a trekie but I did manage to see this movie and I must say It had good and bad IMO.

I'm so much of a Trekker that I have $10,000 of Star Trek collectables, including in invitation to the Hollywood Premier of the last episode of The Next gen, but on to my review of the movie:

This film took too much past canon and threw it out the window, this film left me asking what? who? when? Now before I get flamed I realize the time paradox and such, but had it happened it would have changed much of the past Trek that we knew. So since Capt Pike was confined to the wheelchair before The Menegerie I guess that never happened?

The actor I thought did a superb job, I could actually picture each person playing their counterparts later in life. Good job actors. I think the Videography was way too jumpy during fight scenes and Kirk was not that "technical" of a fighter as they made him in this one.

The idea of Red Matter? Come on . . . but hey we do have Warp Transport (which evidently Scotty forgot later in life).

Overall I would say a great film for the Trek Universe and give it an 8 out of 10. Generations was my favorite . . . but did anyne hear Nimoy quoted as saying he is slated for one more "Trek"? Is this forshadow of another movie? I'm hoping that this film sparks Nimoy into directing another film. I would like to see a movie (if we're gonna thow time travel in everytime we wanna do something "non-canon") that brings all four Captains ("Enterprise" doesn't count) to battle an almost completely Borg-assimilated delta Quadrant. Kirk is like "what the Hell?" Picard is like "Oh No" Janeway is "Yeah Whatever" and Sisko is "I wanna go to DS9" . . .lol

but as I said overall a great film and I'm happy they made it.

Magelo Profile
My Myspace
My Youtube Channel

My First Video I made for my kids - please comment and/or rate

06-09-09, 12:51 PM   #57
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Axl187 View Post
So...anyone else remember Capt Pike?
He was the one that Nero captured and you see at the end of the film in the wheelchair when Kirk get's the Enterprise

Magelo Profile
My Myspace
My Youtube Channel

06-09-09, 12:54 PM   #58
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
I loved the move about the farmboy who heads off to space to fight an evil that can destroy a planet with a even bigger spaceship. You know TrekWars.
06-09-09, 01:44 PM   #59
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Tearstar View Post
He was the one that Nero captured and you see at the end of the film in the wheelchair when Kirk get's the Enterprise
I think Axl was referring to the two part episode of TOS called "The Menagerie". Wow, my inner geek is really starting to wake up now.

06-09-09, 08:42 PM   #60
Tearstar
A Cyclonian

yeah axl had it, but Torhal said

Yes, from the original Pilot episode. Wasn't the character also supposed to appear in the new movie?
and I was letting him know which character he is in the film.

Magelo Profile
My Myspace
My Youtube Channel

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » The new StarTrek movie