08-23-12, 07:11 AM   #121
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The next release (beta 1) will force a wipe of all your profiles. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but I want to be sure that any reported bugs are actually caused by present and existing issues as opposed to alpha to alpha upgrades.

And in addition, features lost in 4.x to 5.0:
  • Global auras: I'm looking into a way to reimplement these, but it won't be until a future release. A possible replacement might be an automatic profile loading mechanism.
  • Secondary animations: I've got no interest in supporting these whatsoever, and I don't fancy re-implementing them either.
  • Tracking, AoE, Stealable/PurgeableSpell, Items/Slots and UnitMatch triggers: Various reasons. Items/Slots should be replaced by the Equipment trigger, but won't upgrade to that automatically. Stealable/PurgeableSpell are functions of UnitAura. Tracking, AoE and UnitMatch I've never seen used.
  • Ability to use a spell name/ID for a custom texture: One of those things that I'll fix eventually, I've just not gotten around to it.
  • Orbit animation: No interest in reimplementing it.

There's a per-profile limit of auras, it's set to 255 currently. I could double this, but I'm keeping the upper numbers reserved for now (I might be using them for global auras).

That's not to say all of those are permanently gone, they're just not present for now.

Last edited by Meorawr : 08-23-12 at 08:25 AM.

08-23-12, 12:05 PM   #122
Dalmasca1
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Action Sequence & Trigger Bug?

Hey Meorawr, I was just trying out the latest version (Alpha 13, I believe) and I'm having some difficulty getting a second sequence to perform a second change to the aura's appearance.

I have an aura set to display white at a high target health % (activation), and I can successfully trigger it to turn red at a lower health % (trigger 1, sequence 1), but if I try to make it change again to black (trigger 2, sequence 2), it doesn't work.

Here's what I did:

1) Create second sequence, 2) create trigger 2 for very low target health %, 3) Set Trigger operator to "1&2", since it would read the target health as being below both thresholds, 4) Set color change on Sequence 2 to black.

I've also tried by just using the operator "2" and it doesn't work. Is this an issue of needing to stack the sequences differently? I know you mentioned they work in ascending order earlier in the thread.

Likewise, I'd ideally have the color change animations occur as fades from one to another. Is that possible yet or planned for the future?

Edit: Re-ordering the sequences fixed it. Personally, I feel like descending order makes more sense because in this case I had to work backwards chronologically through the events, but either way, it would be good to include how that works when the tutorials get included. Let me know if you need feedback/want help with those!

Last edited by Dalmasca1 : 08-23-12 at 12:14 PM. Reason: answered my own question by fiddling with it.

08-23-12, 12:08 PM   #123
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Sequences are prioritised in order of their index number, so if sequence #1 is active then sequence #2 isn't checked. If sequence #1 is inactive, then sequence #2 is checked and, if active, used. I plan to include a reordering mechanism for them too, I've just not gotten around to it (the dialog that pops up for configuring a sequence will house it - hence why it looks so barren).

Colour fading was actually implemented a while ago, but I removed it for a few reasons (it was about ~300 lines of code and prone to breaking down completely). Might implement it in the future.

On a side note, the next build has some more display actions - Blend (changes the blend mode), Saturation (desaturate/saturate the texture, also available as an option), Texture (change the texture dynamically) and Rotation.

08-23-12, 12:27 PM   #124
Dalmasca1
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for the quick answer! Ya, a re-ordering mechanism would be an excellent solution to the problem I described.

I almost forgot - is there any plan to allow the "Rotation" slider to use values other than increments of 90 degrees?

08-23-12, 12:40 PM   #125
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
There's a few problems with non-90 degree rotations. One is an API limitation, one is because of how WoW internally handles icons.

From the API point, SetRotation doesn't accept non-90 degree values. The reason is probably because of the next problem - this point doesn't really affect us either as we use another function for rotation which allows any value to be passed.

From the icon point, the game maps all item/spell/ability icons onto a large texture at runtime. The issue with that is when the degrees aren't a multiple of 90, you'll see the icons mapped besides the current one sort of 'bleed' into the texture.

While that problem won't necessarily affect textures that aren't icons, it's not really worth it for us to add the code to check if this is the case (and with textures being dynamic in some cases, we'd have to decide what'd happen if an icon was used when the texture was already rotated 60 degrees).

Last edited by Meorawr : 08-23-12 at 12:45 PM.

08-24-12, 12:58 PM   #126
galvin
A Frostmaul Preserver
This is probably something low on priority. But will there be some kind of folder system where we can organize our auras. I have 100 auras if not more, and I have them organized by raid. But with the new UI you can put a lot of displays under one aura, but you'd have no idea what each one does. And on top of that you would have all the other displays that make up parts of each aura.

Or you could have 100s of them listed in the aura menu, but that would be a mess too.

The suggestion is the aura browser to be able to make a folder. So I could make folder called Mogu'shan vaults. Then place all my auras for all the encounters in there.

08-24-12, 01:00 PM   #127
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
You can rename auras and assign descriptions to them. Will that suffice for now? It's something I could certainly consider, I'd like to put in better grouping for auras and displays at a future date (hopefully complete with filtering and searching), but it'd be a post-release thing.

I'll also add that the display grid doesn't show displays which inherit another now, so the clutter on that part should be greatly diminished.

08-24-12, 02:14 PM   #128
galvin
A Frostmaul Preserver
I'll have to for now since old power auras don't work. I may not even have workable auras for next weeks raid. But I can probably raid without them. In 6 or 7 weeks from now when we start progression raiding is when I'll start to care a lot about being able to organize my auras.

The new version is extremely flexible and being a coder my self I was able to pick up on it. I know a lot of people in our guild will have a difficult time with it, but for tech savvy people its awesome.

08-24-12, 02:26 PM   #129
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Once I stick in help plates, tooltips and tutorials (assuming they make the cut), it should be more user-friendly. The first two in particular are pretty quick to implement.

If they're have difficulty with certain things, I'd really like to hear about where/what in particular it is. Unless I know what the problem spots are, I can't really make the necessary adjustments to fix the problem - unless I just take random guesses. In the past the main issues were with sources, but they're effectively 100% automatic now.

Last edited by Meorawr : 08-24-12 at 02:29 PM.

08-24-12, 02:52 PM   #130
galvin
A Frostmaul Preserver
I'm sure when 5.0 goes live next week and everyone gets this new version you'll get plenty of feedback

08-24-12, 02:55 PM   #131
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I'm sure the comments page will look like this:

Posted by WtfL33tHaxx0r:
WTF Y U CHANGE STUFF IT WAS FINE BFORE FFS

Posted by PeBkAc:
i keep gettin an error but i wont tell u wot it is cus that iz too ez lol

Posted by FREEGOLD4U:

why was random colour option removed? it was so popular!
On a lighter note, beta 1 is uploaded. Plan for the next few days:

Tomorrow: UI work, finishing the UI's for equipment, spell alert and adding a way to edit sources for time remaining/stacks. Will also polish animation UI's if I have time.

Sunday: Finish the upgrade process, begin work on exporting and importing.

Monday: Hopefully finish exporting/importing. Hook profiles to UI, and work on tooltips/help text.

Tuesday: Bug fix/anything I ran out of time to do in a rush before the maintenance is over. Release.

Wednesday: If something goes wrong, I'll use this as the release day.

Last edited by Meorawr : 08-24-12 at 03:31 PM.

08-25-12, 01:04 AM   #132
SWOLLSMURF
A Defias Bandit
Can't use ingame textures wowhead id number

When using the ingame texture, say for inquisition, on the screen when I open the editor or even the first time I log on, the symbol is actually just a big W, the symbol for WoW.

I then have to go attack a target and cast the actual spell inquisition before it shows me the actual inquisition texture. I suppose it's not a huge deal but when you have alot of auras it's hard to work with a bunch of W's when trying to situate your overall UI.

I guess I'd prefer seeing the actual textures, if that's possible, but naming the textures so as to correspond correctly is just as easy. I'm more of a visual person so I like to see the actual texture and not a W even though the editor clearly labels it as inquisition.

Maybe I myself am missing something, is that intended, or will it be changed in the future?

Last edited by SWOLLSMURF : 08-25-12 at 02:25 AM.

08-25-12, 06:48 AM   #133
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
It's a minor problem with how the system works, basically it needs the trigger to say "hey, this is the icon you should use", but the entire contents of the profile don't actually exist while in the editor (for various reasons).

I might have a workaround however, I'll see if it works

Edit: Workaround works, however it won't take effect until after the display is shown for the first time (so it'll still be a WoW icon after you create it). Similar to 4.x, basically.

Last edited by Meorawr : 08-25-12 at 07:00 AM.

08-25-12, 11:09 AM   #134
galvin
A Frostmaul Preserver
Not sure if this is a bug or not. But when I positioned the text display for time left on the aura. The texture display for the buff was set to use the buff's texture.

Well when I go to actually test it. The position of the text display is not in the same as it was when I was setting it up.

08-25-12, 11:11 AM   #135
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Known bug, there's ~20 pixel gap inside of the editor which disappears when outside of the editor.

08-25-12, 01:26 PM   #136
Stabilo
An Aku'mai Servant
Not sure if this has been addressed, but a simple bug that has gone through a few alphas and to the beta:

When applying an activation trigger for a display, going to "Matches", typing in for example which self-buff it should activate on, the Cancel/Apply buttons seem reversed. And when I say reversed, I mean behave weirdly. Sometimes the buff name won't stick unless you click Cancel, sometimes both work as "apply". The "Cancel" -button has never worked for actually cancelling any changes you make.

08-25-12, 01:27 PM   #137
Dulci
A Murloc Raider
Thank you for your hard work on this. I've got PowerAuras 5.0 Beta 1, but it looks like "Is Mine" isn't working? It's showing my auras based on other's spells. I've disabled all other addons.

08-25-12, 01:34 PM   #138
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Stabilo View Post
Not sure if this has been addressed, but a simple bug that has gone through a few alphas and to the beta:

When applying an activation trigger for a display, going to "Matches", typing in for example which self-buff it should activate on, the Cancel/Apply buttons seem reversed. And when I say reversed, I mean behave weirdly. Sometimes the buff name won't stick unless you click Cancel, sometimes both work as "apply". The "Cancel" -button has never worked for actually cancelling any changes you make.
Took a look, seems to just be a display bug - if I change a setting, hit cancel and go back in then I see it, but if I make a change, hit cancel, and go to Style and then back to Activation the settings are still the same as they should be.

Originally Posted by Dulci View Post
Thank you for your hard work on this. I've got PowerAuras 5.0 Beta 1, but it looks like "Is Mine" isn't working? It's showing my auras based on other's spells. I've disabled all other addons.
Taking a look.

Edit: Fixed both of those bugs. Not fully tested the fix for the second, but the logic on that check was definitely broken and giving unintended results.

Last edited by Meorawr : 08-25-12 at 01:43 PM.

08-25-12, 02:01 PM   #139
Stabilo
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Meorawr View Post
Took a look, seems to just be a display bug - if I change a setting, hit cancel and go back in then I see it, but if I make a change, hit cancel, and go to Style and then back to Activation the settings are still the same as they should be.
Tried on my rogue (with Slice and Dice) and, sorry for being quite inaccurate, it took about 3 times of clicking both cancel and apply for it to actually save it after you exit the config and open it again. Having a hard time finding a pattern.

Beta 1 clears my auras on every login/reload, not just the first one.

08-25-12, 02:05 PM   #140
Meorawr
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Stabilo View Post
Tried on my rogue (with Slice and Dice) and, sorry for being quite inaccurate, it took about 3 times of clicking both cancel and apply for it to actually save it after you exit the config and open it again. Having a hard time finding a pattern.
See edit at the end of my initial reply, fixed it in the next release.

Beta 1 clears my auras on every login/reload, not just the first one.
I can't reproduce that. If it still persists in the next release (might put it up tonight), can you post back?

I'll also just point out that I'm under no obligations to release on Tuesday, it's just a goal. If there's critical bugs that I can't nail by then, I'll happily delay the release by a day or two to fix them.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » MoP Beta archived threads » Power Auras Classic 5.0