02-25-09, 11:19 PM   #1
hypehuman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Testing new code for Super Duper Macro

EDIT: Those of you who have already posted your results, please download the new version and post again!

This thread is for users of Super Duper Macro. I am working on a way to get the icon to show properly for long macros. As part of this, I made a function that looks at a macro and calculates the spell or item that should be shown, but I wanted to make sure that it has no errors in it, as such errors would be confusing and distressing if they ever made it to release.

Here's what you can do:
•*Download the latest version of Super Duper Macro (1.8.3).
•*If you get a message saying "SDM test result: All correct!", that means it worked! You don't need to do anything else.
•*If a window pops up, just copy the text that's there (even if you can't see it, ctrl-C or cmd-C should copy it just fine) and paste it as a response to this post.

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and support!

Last edited by hypehuman : 02-26-09 at 11:21 PM.
02-26-09, 04:40 AM   #2
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
I'm not sure this mod is legit, allowing extra chars in a macros is against what do want the devs and what you are supposed to do with macros that is why they broked stuffs like SuperMacro or or Decursive in the past. I wouldn't be that sure your mod is legal and I find it unfair.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 02-26-09 at 04:42 AM.
02-26-09, 04:52 AM   #3
deep92
This popped up at /sdm test:
Code:
body: #sdm
#showtooltip
/cast [stance:3, mod:shift, nocombat] Intercept
/cast [nostance:1, nomod:shift, nocombat] Battle stance
/cast [stance:1, nocombat] Charge
/cast [nostance:3, combat] Berserker Stance
/cast [stance:3, combat, exists, harm] Intercept
Blizz got: spell Charge Rank 3
You got: <nil> <nil> <nil>
Have fun :P

EDIT: I tested it, worked all just fine. The macro you see above is also the macro that had "?" images most of the time. That's fixed, very nice

Last edited by deep92 : 02-26-09 at 04:56 AM.
02-26-09, 05:58 AM   #4
lingering
A Cliff Giant

Its a good question on if it breaks the EULA, i would get it checked out so you dont get any people banned, looks useful though.
02-26-09, 06:00 AM   #5
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by lingering View Post
Its a good question on if it breaks the EULA, i would get it checked out so you dont get any people banned, looks useful though.
If you can do it in LUA, it doesn't break the EULA. There have been other macro addons that let you have extra long macros, etc. And Blizz never said anything about them, nor did they make the LUA scripting engine not able to handle it.

Marth

02-26-09, 06:20 AM   #6
Mera

Premium Member
Im just surprised me too you can allow a mod doing macro longuer than 255 chars :x II always thought it was the max allowed
02-26-09, 10:08 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Mera: The actual limit on macros is what the client will parse. The limit that the UI itself is built to handle and store is the 255.

As already mentioned, if Blizzard did not want something to be possible, then they would break it (meaning that the client would not parse macros up to that length - they would stop after 255 chars). Since addons like this have been around for years, I don't believe that it is a bug or an exploit. And, yes - anything that you can do via lua in a legit addon will not get you banned unless it facilitates cross-faction communication. If Blizzard does not like it, then they will break it.

This is what happened with mods like Decursive when 2.0 hit. They didn't ban anyone for using it, they just broke it. And the old Decursive did not use macros for what it did. It used code available in the client, which Blizzard then protected. And SuperMacro wasn't purposefully broken by Blizzard either. In fact, it seems that Blizzard incorporated some of the stuff that it did into the UI. That, combined with patches that changed the game's code broke it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-26-09, 01:07 PM   #8
hypehuman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thanks for the bug reports! Thanks also for your concern about the legality of this mod, but I can assure you that it's perfectly allowable. The reason they limit macros to 255 characters is because they store them on the server (and have always had plans to do so). The macros created by this mod are not stored server-side (at least not the extended parts of them), so you're not circumventing anything that Blizzard was trying to disallow.
02-26-09, 03:58 PM   #9
LordMacragge
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Got the following after testing, hope it helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

body: #showtooltip
/use [mod:ctrl] First Aid; [mod:alt,target=player] item:34721; [] item:34721
Blizz got: item Frostweave Bandage [Frostweave Bandage]
You got: item Frostweave Bandage [Frostweave Bandage]

body: #showtooltip
/cast [] Acherus Deathcharger
Blizz got: spell Acherus Deathcharger Summon

body: /cast [button:1,nomodifier] Acherus Deathcharger; /cast [button:1,modifier:alt] Winged Steed of the Ebon Blade
/cast [button:1,modifier:ctrl] Ebon Gryphon
/dismount [button:2]

Blizz got: spell Acherus Deathcharger Summon
02-26-09, 09:15 PM   #10
hypehuman
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thanks again for the reports! I think I've fixed all the errors that you've submitted, so I would really appreciate it if you could download 1.8.3 and run the test again.
02-27-09, 11:57 AM   #11
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by Mera View Post
I'm not sure this mod is legit, allowing extra chars in a macros is against what do want the devs and what you are supposed to do with macros that is why they broked stuffs like SuperMacro or or Decursive in the past. I wouldn't be that sure your mod is legal and I find it unfair.
Macro length is only limited due to storage restrictions and parsing restrictions. It has nothing to do with a dev decision. In fact, Blizzard gives us the /click command, whereby using just the default UI, you can chain macros together, if desired.

If addons do something that Blizzard does not like, they simply break it. So far they have not touched the ability of addons to make maximum use of the parser's size limit, which is 1024 characters.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
02-27-09, 04:10 PM   #12
Mera

Premium Member
As far as I see it on the macro frame its wrote 255 max char and not explicitely wrote you need to install a mod 1024 max char. the facts devs didn't made something to block it does not really proves its legal nor illegal ie athenelol hacks he used to spread fake records, it has not been patched in months and not sure it is yet but was illegal.. Sure SuperMacro has been restricted because it was offering to store more than x macros and after 2.x patch it has been broke there was a maximum macros you cannot bypass.
02-27-09, 04:46 PM   #13
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Mera View Post
As far as I see it on the macro frame its wrote 255 max char and not explicitely wrote you need to install a mod 1024 max char. the facts devs didn't made something to block it does not really proves its legal nor illegal ie athenelol hacks he used to spread fake records, it has not been patched in months and not sure it is yet but was illegal.. Sure SuperMacro has been restricted because it was offering to store more than x macros and after 2.x patch it has been broke there was a maximum macros you cannot bypass.
It is possible to create an indefinite amount of macros, regardless of the fact that SuperMacro was not updated to use that ability. And it is legitimate to create macros up the the length that RunMacroText() will parse, which is 1024. This would be true *EVEN IF* Blizzard had not already publically said that it is OK, which they have, because the API allows it.
02-27-09, 06:03 PM   #14
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

All I can tell you, Mera, is that macros of 1024 in length are fine. If you choose to believe it or not is up to you.

Whenever addons do something that the devs do not want, they remove the ability rather than called this "legal" or that "illegal". 1024 length macros have been around since 2.0. If they were any issue, they would have been shortened long ago.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Testing new code for Super Duper Macro