View Poll Results: What are you opinions of tradeskills mods?
I don't bother much with a profession/Don't see much use for them 0 0%
I would like to see more availible to know what options I have 2 100.00%
Tradeskill mods already cover all my needs 0 0%
This idea covers my needs (post anything else you feel I missed!) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

09-18-05, 01:19 PM   #1
Gaean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Tradeskills specific mods

Hi, I am hoping that someone can find a way to develop a "Crafter's Toolbox" of sorts for the professional in your life. As an aspiring leatherworking goddess I tried to find some tools to help me ("Skin Info") but found it very clumsy for my needs. So what I am requesting is the following:

Database capacities to view locations of leatherworking material locations by zone, mini-zone, and drop %. Also an option to overlay the main map with colored coded area shading (color definitions and opacity controled) the generalized area where the tradeskill materials could be found. These areas can be based on a small radius from where the player found the item. As the player collects more tradeskill materials, more of the main map is shaded. In essence this will create a 'item harvesting' region that the player will know where to go to.. well for harvesting the material. Also, might be pretty frivilous, a color coded legend that can be unlocked and locked overlaying the map.

As the player collects the material also the database would be filled with the applicable information, which then will be used to display the information via tooltips. So no more trying figure out if this particular mob drops a light hide versus a deviate scale!

And please please a GUI for the menu! An addon like this will make a girls day! Thanks so much for reading my post and hope it inspires some ideas!

Also, Gazmik, keep up your great Tradeskills mods, you inspire me!
09-19-05, 05:02 AM   #2
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How long have you been playing? Maybe I've started too many characters and spent too much time in the sub-40 zones, but leather drops seem pretty easy to remember. The exotic stuff I always thottbot. (WoW has an excellent display-in-maximized-window option that lets you alt-tab between thottbot and WoW very quickly. Your web browser will float over the WoW display so you can see the WoW map and thottbot at the same time.)

It probably wouldn't be too hard to modify Gatherer to record leather drops, but the default Gatherer map display would become very cluttered.
09-19-05, 09:02 AM   #3
Gaean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Honestly just been on for three months

I have gotten to the point of heavy leather, and there were just a few things that were outside of the regular scraps, light, medium, heavy leather and hides that was difficult to remember. Reading my post now I realized I did not make it clear that something like this would not only benefit me but any gathering profession (at least mining and leatherworking). Gatherer is fine but thge mini-map is a turn off. The displays get cluttered after a full days haul when I used to go mining. Perhaps a way to tie the information gatherer collects and reflect that on the main map with map notes? Discuss ^^
09-20-05, 05:16 AM   #4
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Gatherer has a mini-map button to turn on/off the various mini-map icons. It does get cluttered after a while I agree. Sometimes the resource icons at the edge overlap the party/corpse/direction arrows and I have to turn off the resource icons to mouse over the arrows.

The main map also has a button to hide/show the resource icons.

I don't know if there is a way to add comments to the map with Gatherer. It would be nice to have that in one module instead of needing another download.

Anyways, I think Gatherer does for miners/herbalists exactly what you want to do for skinners. The trouble is that Gatherer's resource display wouldn't work for skinning -- the map would literally be covered with leather icons. Have you sent a request to the Gatherer author asking for zone counts? Maybe an option to merge identical resource icons within a certain distance would solve the leather resource display.
09-20-05, 08:32 AM   #5
Gaean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Littlejohn
Have you sent a request to the Gatherer author asking for zone counts?
I have not even considered that! I will email a brief explaination and direct the author to this thread. Thanks for the feedback! ^^
09-21-05, 04:05 AM   #6
Islorgris
A Murloc Raider
well as a matter of fact you're kind of lucky Gaean since I happen to be both the lead developer for Gatherer and the author of Skin Info.

recording leather in Gatherer would be meaningless since the coordinate system is based on the current position of the character when the gathering event occurs (which, for leather, means you would record the position where the critter's corpse is, which would eventually, as mentionned before, cover all the map).

to make an uncertainty zone appear to delimit areas where a particular leather could be gathered would requires math functions I'm not sure are available as part of the lua libraries provided with WoW (not to mention a serious brush up of my math) and linking that to a graphical display may not be possible either (we're dealing with square texture here mainly, I'll let you imagine the complexity of contructing a dynamic polygon out of squares).

some of your suggestions looks like they may be included in Skin Info (tooltip on mob to see what skinning it could provide and the percentage for the current zone/miniregion), I'll have a look a that when Gatherer is stabilized for the current patch.
09-21-05, 07:37 AM   #7
Gaean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thanks for the response Islorgris! I am sure that everyone (especially myself!) are super anxious for your next installation of Gatherer ^^

*dances happily*

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Tradeskills specific mods