03-03-07, 05:12 PM   #1
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What's the Best Computer

What computer do you think is the best computer for gaming. I've looked; and played, many computers that people have made/ordered specifically for gaming, and I have to say, apple computer's are the best. I have played WoW on a iMac , and it did wonderfully, a lot better than pretty much any windows computer I have ever used. But, the best computer I have ever played a game on would be this one. I played one at a circuit city that had 2gb of RAM, a NVidia GeForce 7300 GT 256mb, and it was awsome, no lag, beautiful computer. I also played the same computer, but decked out with 16GB of RAM, a 3TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI), and a 23" flat panel HD display monitor.

That's what I think, how about you?

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
03-04-07, 04:20 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Whatever runs your game most smoothly. In the case of WoW the biggest thing you need is lots of RAM. It does not need the latest gfx card (any ATI or Nvidia based card made in the last two years works nicely) but it gobbles RAM like a bag of Doritos. Other games need that uber expensive gfx card. Myself I go the "handbuilt on my kitchen table" route. That way I can choose exactly what goes into that machine.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-04-07 at 04:24 AM.
03-04-07, 09:41 AM   #3
robthedude
Don't Panic

I've got a HP Pavillion dv5000, it sucks, it has a 1.6 64bit proccessor, a Radeon with 128mb of shared memory, and it manages a pitiful 15-20 fps... still playable though

03-04-07, 10:02 AM   #4
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by robthedude
I've got a HP Pavillion dv5000, it sucks, it has a 1.6 64bit proccessor, a Radeon with 128mb of shared memory, and it manages a pitiful 15-20 fps... still playable though
I have a dell with 256mb of RAM, and a intel extreme graphics card that gets (on a good day) 8 to 15 fps. Almost unplayable.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
03-04-07, 10:35 AM   #5
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Im buying a new notebook soon and ill be playing WoW on that, im focusing on gfx card mainly, and core duo processor min, and ram i dont really care cuse ill just upgrade but i want atleast 1 gig

my current system( system is a compliment) on average gives me 1-8 fps, highly unplayable, i get disconnected when i hearth because of lack of frames, i sware gfx cards take a huge part , directed to one of the above posters
03-04-07, 11:02 AM   #6
Wowgamer233
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

CPU and video ftw

My experiences of many computers (through my role at work) and home builds has illustrated the incredible importance of CPU and video card.

I went from 1Gb to 3Gb of RAM on my current machine with almost no improvement in WoW fps.

I went from a decent video card to a dual core NVidia video card and it took my fps from 25fps to 45fps.

I'm looking to get a dual-core machine later in the year and will also have the opportunity to try Wow out on a quad-core CPU in a month or so.

The reason I keep mentioning CPU is have you noticed how the CPU is pegged out when Wow loads. Throw as much RAM as you want at it and this is still the case.

A friend of mine has a dual-core CPU and the machine feels 30% faster with all of the same mods installed.
03-04-07, 10:04 PM   #7
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

specs of ASUS A8Jv im gettin
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...5&l2=26&l3=270
03-04-07, 10:48 PM   #8
Redactatrix
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up Game Machine

Running an Intel Mac Pro, dual 2.66GHz processors, dual NVIDIA graphics cards, 4 gigs RAM. I'm a bit obsessed ... but it kicks butt even when latency is high ... I can still play at over 3400 latency and despite an occasional 10-second "freeze" the movement is smooth on my screen, although other players see me doing stop action. My old G4 with a 1GHz processor and 1.5 gigs RAM was just not fast enough for my tastes, but better than those of most of the ppl I play with. More Power!!
03-12-07, 07:10 AM   #9
Mizer18
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I have a Sony Vaio that originally came with a Radeon X300 that I replaced before the computer was even set up in my home and at the time, the best replacement was the X800 so hey, guess whats in my computer, now all I need to do is get more RAM and i'm set.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » What's the Best Computer