02-21-09, 10:03 AM   #1
Neverwhere
A Murloc Raider
Tooltip Resizing Addon?

Basically in order to have all of the elements of my UI gel properly, I need to limit the width/height max of a tooltip, without necessarily decreasing the scaling.

Also be able to specifiy in which direction the tooltip grows once it hits that max.

For instance, I want to limit the width to, say, 180 pixels. Once a given tooltip hits that boundary, the text will wrap and the tooltip will expand upward to whatever height it requires to fill out the tooltip.

I poked around on several UI sites and never came across a tooltip modifying addon. I think it could be hella useful. If you talented gents of the coding world already know of one, or can create one - I will be most appreciative.
02-21-09, 08:17 PM   #2
Neverwhere
A Murloc Raider
Is it even possible to code something like this?

I've been searching for hours through lua tags and multiple addon website forums.

It seems no one has ever though of scaling or setting a threshold of width or height? Seems strange...

Could simply be that's it's just not possible. Would like an experienced coder to at least give this a moment's thought and let me know if I need to scrap my UI and figure something else out.
02-21-09, 11:22 PM   #3
Neverwhere
A Murloc Raider
I don't mean to be annoying by continuously kicking this to the top, but my UI is getting annoying now and I'm kind of frustrated at some of the other threads asking for features prominently provided by other addons; they just neglected to search before posting.

I've still not come across a bit of code or addon that can limit the max width or height of a tooltip and force expansion in a specificied direction (i.e., Grow Upwards).

Please, please point me in the right direction. Still no luck searching on any interface sites, wikis and forums and even direct lua coding sites.
02-21-09, 11:45 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It's definitely possible to limit the width of a tooltip, but it's more difficult (if possible) to get the text inside to wrap. You haven't gotten any answers, because whomever had seen it so far didn't have any to give you.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-22-09, 06:35 AM   #5
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
+ GameTooltip is a global handling almost all tooltips of the game so to apply change on it you should be at least a mod author to know how to mod X tooltip without breaking at Y tip, you will have to play with lots of other behaviours then. GameTooltip:SetWidth() GameTooltip:SetHeight() GameTooltip:SetScale() are probably a few apis you are looking for but this change all the game tips so you have to deal with deeper behaviours then to only mod GameTooltip when X mod tip is shown and revert back the changes when hided + some other mod does not uses GameTooltip but it own, without few coding skill Id recommand you to go for a skinning mod and try if it could cover your needs, there is a few outta there, Skinner, kgPanels
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 02-22-09 at 06:40 AM.
02-22-09, 07:41 AM   #6
Neverwhere
A Murloc Raider
Tyvm. I will look into it!

Much more difficult than I orginally thought, but the way you describe it makes more sense as to why it's not more common.

Thank you again.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Tooltip Resizing Addon?