12-22-14, 09:47 PM   #1
Jynyvieve
A Fallenroot Satyr
FPS drop

lol I crack myself up anywho.... no bug errors displaying, just fps tanked and spammed with certain player not found. running carb maps, quests, warehouse, and social. No other addons. Downloaded yesterday from curse.

photo attached for chat log and to show the fps
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_122214_224332.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	8382
12-23-14, 04:05 AM   #2
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

Could be a failure from wow get this sometimes with carbonite loaded but although without.. in meantime after a dungeon group .. thought first it comes from prat but cannot recreate the Issue

Greetings Samyonair
12-23-14, 05:11 AM   #3
atl77
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
This seems to happen if Carbonite encounters old Social Settings. Please try to disable Carbonite.Social to test if this is actually the culprit.
12-23-14, 07:21 AM   #4
Jynyvieve
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by atl77 View Post
This seems to happen if Carbonite encounters old Social Settings. Please try to disable Carbonite.Social to test if this is actually the culprit.
Will do, boss
12-23-14, 05:23 PM   #5
Draven006
A Fallenroot Satyr
Low FPS

Carbonite maps and Carbonite quests only installed.

With carbonite off

Inside my garrison at the mission table 93FPS running around the garrison 56-65FPS

With Carbonite on

Inside my garrison at the mission table 70FPS running around the garrison 25-30FPS

That is a massive drop.

I have even tried this will all other addons dissabled ... same result.

I have cleared out everything carbonite related from the WTF folder and all the other usual things people say to do.

I even went to Pandaria, just incase it was then new zones, same result. As i fly 22FPS with carbonite loaded and without carbonite on i fly around at 59FPS

PLEASE help
12-24-14, 11:08 AM   #6
Draven006
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Jynyvieve View Post
lol I crack myself up anywho.... no bug errors displaying, just fps tanked and spammed with certain player not found. running carb maps, quests, warehouse, and social. No other addons. Downloaded yesterday from curse.

Attachment 8382
This also happens with just Carbonite maps installed,
Nothing to do with any other mods, although each mod you activate (social... quests... etc) will take about 2-5fps off your game play.

Still not found a solution. has to be something with Carbonite maps

I posted this on Curse

Carbonite maps and Carbonite quests only installed.

With carbonite off

Inside my garrison at the mission table 93FPS running around the garrison 56-65FPS

With Carbonite on

Inside my garrison at the mission table 70FPS running around the garrison 25-30FPS

That is a massive drop.

I have even tried this will all other addons dissabled ... same result.

I have cleared out everything carbonite related from the WTF folder and all the other usual things people say to do.

I even went to Pandaria, just incase it was then new zones, same result. As i fly 22FPS with carbonite loaded and without carbonite on i fly around at 59FPS
12-24-14, 12:49 PM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The FPS drop is expected, just not as much as it was. To be redoing and recreating the maps system means it is constantly doing things (redrawing, calculating, checking), and any attempt at throttling it has people sabre rattling that the maps are not running smoothly anymore.

There is a version up on github now which attempts to fix the 2 biggest causes of FPS drop, along with a .5 second throttling so it's not as smooth as it was, but it's barely noticable. Give it a try and see if it makes much difference.

As a comparison I just did some testing.

Test: flying from shrine to great wall and back in Vale
Base: 70-75fps
Carb Alone: 60-70fps
Carb Alone map window closed: 70-75fps
Carb + Quests: 50-55fps

Last edited by Rythal : 12-24-14 at 01:08 PM.
12-25-14, 06:44 AM   #8
Draven006
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
The FPS drop is expected, just not as much as it was. To be redoing and recreating the maps system means it is constantly doing things (redrawing, calculating, checking), and any attempt at throttling it has people sabre rattling that the maps are not running smoothly anymore.

There is a version up on github now which attempts to fix the 2 biggest causes of FPS drop, along with a .5 second throttling so it's not as smooth as it was, but it's barely noticable. Give it a try and see if it makes much difference.

As a comparison I just did some testing.

Test: flying from shrine to great wall and back in Vale
Base: 70-75fps
Carb Alone: 60-70fps
Carb Alone map window closed: 70-75fps
Carb + Quests: 50-55fps
Appreciate you looking into this, but you still have to agree that 70-75 drop to 50-55 FPS is HUGE
I have installed the Github version and there was a slight difference
Inside Garrison grounds
went from +-28FPS to 31FPS

Inside Town hall
Went from +-57FPS to 83FPS

I generally play the game while out questing at 55fps and dungeons at 32FPS
But with that kind of drop Questing is (even with the new github) 42FPS and 24FPS in dungeons.

That makes things begin to stutter. to depressed to see that it does in a Raid
12-25-14, 07:19 AM   #9
samyonair
A Frostmaul Preserver

You're right it's a huge drop, and carbonite.quests has some problems atl77 and ircdirk working on it, i have long time played with Carbonite and had some drops in fps.

It's a complex addon, you cannot switch on a switch and all Issues are gone,

We only can tell for the moment we are working on it to get it better.

Greetings Samyonair
12-25-14, 10:27 AM   #10
Jynyvieve
A Fallenroot Satyr
I haven't been in game to test whether .social removes the player not found chat spam but I did want to add that I don't run any other addons and haven't experienced that until I enabled carbonite and the aforementioned modules so I'm assuming your thought of .social being the culprit is accurate. When it comes to the fps issue I wanted to add more information per my past experiences using carbonite. I run on all minimum settings, my computer meets requirements but barely above. In previous expansions while running carbonite only my standard fps is around 32, in instances it's usually around 20-22. Without carbonite enabled it would be only slightly higher, 38ish standard and 28ish instances. Obviously I'm not tech savvy, I just wanted to give y'all further information and hopefully it may help in determining what's going on.. if not... well poop.
12-25-14, 11:53 AM   #11
nelegalno2
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Jynyvieve View Post
I haven't been in game to test whether .social removes the player not found chat spam but I did want to add that I don't run any other addons and haven't experienced that until I enabled carbonite and the aforementioned modules so I'm assuming your thought of .social being the culprit is accurate. When it comes to the fps issue I wanted to add more information per my past experiences using carbonite. I run on all minimum settings, my computer meets requirements but barely above. In previous expansions while running carbonite only my standard fps is around 32, in instances it's usually around 20-22. Without carbonite enabled it would be only slightly higher, 38ish standard and 28ish instances. Obviously I'm not tech savvy, I just wanted to give y'all further information and hopefully it may help in determining what's going on.. if not... well poop.
You might try going to System > Advanced and unchecking Show New Character Models - might give you few more FPS (regardless of Carbonite)
12-25-14, 12:15 PM   #12
Jynyvieve
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by nelegalno2 View Post
You might try going to System > Advanced and unchecking Show New Character Models - might give you few more FPS (regardless of Carbonite)
Already done, my dear I'm content with playing at around 20-30. It's all I've known. But tanking to 2-9 is... game breaking I mean... if disabling warehouse would help I guess I can live without it. But I am heavily dependent on quests, maps, and social (those sneaky rogues don't sneak past punks)
12-25-14, 10:31 PM   #13
Ladi
A Defias Bandit
This has been happening to me, too. Happened with just maps loaded and then today with quests and warehouse loaded. Seems to happen when someone on friends list or a guildie logs out.
12-26-14, 09:05 AM   #14
R_OReilly
An Aku'mai Servant
Even in 5.4 I would often have random fps drops with the map displayed. Fully closing the map would restore fps to "normal" levels. It would happen in various zones but most often when flying around Valley of Four Winds while doing Tillers dailies. Haven't spent much time there since release to notice if it's still doing it. What I can report is crashes if you are rescaling the map (mouse wheel) anywhere near a zone transition. Happens to me most often if I do it on my way into my garrison. Flickering map, maybe an fps drop but it crashes too quickly to notice.
12-27-14, 07:48 PM   #15
Chazzfazzle
A Murloc Raider

Re: FPS Drop

Been using the version you put up on git for a couple of days and I gotta say this feels like the carbonite of old. Before you took it over the maps were always a little jittery. The only times it is noticeable are when the map scrambles after you hearth and take your first step, it's more of a blocky transition than the smooth pan it was, which doesn't matter because you see it for all of 2 seconds, and when running through a major city since the zoom is so great you get about half off center before the map tracks you back and you get this kind of push and pull effect, and again that doesn't matter. Carbonite has done that through out it's entire existence. As for the fps issues I am getting a 10 to 30 fps gain depending on the zone and continent I am in. And that is with all modules active. I have to say job well done!
12-28-14, 09:36 PM   #16
Mordralis
An Aku'mai Servant

Simuliar Issue

I was totally ecstatic when I saw Carbonite was once again up! FANTASTIK job and kudos to you for this accomplishment! I've followed the threads for several months and can only imagine the process you went through.

I have only noted one issue so far - akin to the above post. It doesn't matter where I am, what part of the globe, what area, flying, riding, walking, fighting...I experience a very substantial drop in FPS when I bring up the Carbonite mini-map. Once I activate it, my character is 'herky-jerky' and hard to control. My FPS drops from about 45 to as low as 5. This makes it difficult to get around, especially in Draenor, where there is no flying. I use the map when I get close to a destination to pinpoint my best route - but with the drop in FPS this is not viable.

As the post above, I've removed all previous versions and reference to Carbonite even before I loaded the new version. I've disabled all addons, and tried adding one at a time to see which was causing a possible conflict issue. Check and did several tests with video. Nothing works.

Any idea on what may be causing this and how to circumvent?

Thanks, again, for all the hard work and dedication you did in getting this rolled out!
12-29-14, 01:35 AM   #17
ircdirk
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Marged with other thread. Just read it @Chazzfazzle and @Mordralis.
12-31-14, 05:42 PM   #18
jeresmith25
A Murloc Raider
Low FPS combining Carbonite with Handynotes

For some reason I get really low FPS (4) when I try using carbonite with handynotes addon and opening carbonite map. I do have the carbonite addon that comes with handynotes, but whenever I open my map the fps drops to 4.

Thanks for any help with this!!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: Maps (Main AddOn) » FPS drop