04-01-09, 03:04 AM   #21
Isheria
A Defias Bandit
Is it a coincidence that this specific news post got posted in this specific date 1st april *hint hint*?
Knowing blizz over the last few years i wouldn't be terribly surprised if this is just another of their famous april fool's jokes.

Would be really sad to see WoWI going away in case this happens to be real but i still have my doubts :>
04-01-09, 03:09 AM   #22
Ouo
A Murloc Raider

Nice Aprilīs Fools joke
04-01-09, 03:28 AM   #23
thandrenn
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
lol. I could really use an addon to inform me when it is proper to use "OH SNAP!" and to include a button to ensure the proper deployment of "OH SNAP!".
04-01-09, 03:31 AM   #24
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by thandrenn View Post
lol. I could really use an addon to inform me when it is proper to use "OH SNAP!" and to include a button to ensure the proper deployment of "OH SNAP!".
Me too, apparently...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-01-09, 03:34 AM   #25
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Well, there you have it. All the whining and complaining about Blizzard's new policies was pointless...well, except for you compilation creators anyway. You got what you wanted. Blizzard found it was missing out on a big cash cow and has now decided to reign it in, police it and profit from it. So all you authors who bellyached about not being able to solicit "donations" or other authors not being able to do the same just wasted a whole lot of typing time.

Congratulations on helping Blizzard to destroy good communities like WoWI and other addon websites dedicated to distributing and supporting add ons free of charge. Perhaps that 60% cut from your add on will make up for it. I foresee a good number of people leaving the game due to this change unless you can still use outside add ons and/or compilations for free (I can't see it though.)

Kudos to you, hope that $0.60/dollar was worth it.
04-01-09, 03:38 AM   #26
tintingurl
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by GrissomXIX View Post
Well, there you have it. All the whining and complaining about Blizzard's new policies was pointless...well, except for you compilation creators anyway. You got what you wanted. Blizzard found it was missing out on a big cash cow and has now decided to reign it in, police it and profit from it. So all you authors who bellyached about not being able to solicit "donations" or other authors not being able to do the same just wasted a whole lot of typing time.

Congratulations on helping Blizzard to destroy good communities like WoWI and other addon websites dedicated to distributing and supporting add ons free of charge. Perhaps that 60% cut from your add on will make up for it. I foresee a good number of people leaving the game due to this change unless you can still use outside add ons and/or compilations for free (I can't see it though.)

Kudos to you, hope that $0.60/dollar was worth it.
agreed. i think this is so silly blizzard and all. yes authors need to get money but this is too much. it went from donate if you like to demanding the donations now.
04-01-09, 03:43 AM   #27
Manaman
An Aku'mai Servant
Haha, April Fools. Good joke. You almost had me.
04-01-09, 03:51 AM   #28
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Damn, I was worried there for a while!
04-01-09, 03:56 AM   #29
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I have several questions crossing my mind: will we be able to keep uploading our mods to other sites, will Blizzard at least give "trials" for addons they decide that are "pay-to-use", will Blizzard allows us to set description pages for our mods, will the author name even be mentioned in the store, and, most of all, how am I suppose to develop my addons as "freeware"?

I fear this will be the destruction of the free addon market as we know it: a center of intellectual development, were one addon benefits all the community and brings new ideas. With the store? Only who pays will be able to see the addon (probably not even the code), so don't expect new ideas to come...
04-01-09, 03:58 AM   #30
copystring
A Defias Bandit
It's the 1st April, you think this is true? The pic looks fake anyway, the font already doesn't look like the original font, to smooth and the shadow behind the frame doesn't look like it belongs to the game either

I personally don't think this is going to happen to be honest.

copystring
04-01-09, 03:59 AM   #31
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Well, this came as a shock to me and honestly puts me in a deeply sour mood. I understand where the authors of addons are coming from, how they want compensation for their hard work and I agree with that.

But chances are that a good portion of the 100+ addons I am using I will be charged for if I wish to continue using them. Again, yes authors put in alot of hard work and again I agree that they shouldn't have to work for free for the hard work they threw into the addons they wrote I feel this is a sad day for both the user and author of the addon. Not only does this mean that if the author wishes to charge for their addon, their idea, their creative genius, their blood, sweat and tears that they put into writing, testing and bug fixing, blizzard has now taken essentially 50% of the credit for. I understand where blizzard is coming from too, after all they did create Warcraft and its many other products and have graciously allowed us the honor of paying 14.99 USD per month to play the game. As I said this also means for the user of the addon, that if they wish to enhance the game, they are forced to spend more money to play the game. This also means for the user(s) and author(s) of addons, that there is less likely of a chance that they will try new addons out, this may not sound so important to people but being able to look at new addons, and look at the different types of addons that may have done the same thing but had slightly different features was very nice and on many occasions for me at least, I ended up finding new things that made game play more enjoyable.

That being said, there are a few concerns I do have so if anyone can answer them, I would appreciate it as others might be curious too. If I were to buy an addon and it gets updated, do I have to buy it again or does this work like a subscriptionesc type deal where it is a one time buy and you get free updates? My other concern is what about those people who bought a subscription to addons such as carbonite before this who not allowed to charge for addons deal came up, is there any protection for the money that was spent? (I probably should ask the carbonite people as I am one of those that bought a years subscription.)

Well I was in the middle of playing WoW right now when I was making this post, but alot of my fun has been sucked out of WoW with this breaking news, kind of mad I payed for a full six months of WoW now. Anyways its been fun, I foresee my subscription to WoW running out and not bothering to renew it.

Thanks to the years of hard work and sacrifice many of you have put into this site and the countless hours you've spent answering mindless questions from the likes of me and thank you authors for the blood, sweat and tears you have put into the addons that many of us use day in and day out to enhance the game and make it more enjoyable, I truly hope this system works out for you all and I wish you the best of luck with any future addons you may create.

As for me, looks like I am done with WoW myself, was getting kind of bored with it anyways after 3 years and 8 months of playing or something close to that, the only thing that was holding alot of interest for me was creating UIs for myself and in my mind I feel this is the straw that broke the camels back, I held on when burning crusade came out and replaced my gear to get the next ten levels, I barely had the fight to go on when Wrath came out as I replaced even more hard earned raiding gear, I will NOT pay for addons directly from blizzard as they already get a cut of what addon authors were making, its called my 14.99 a month for the last 3.8 years. I mean whats next, blizzard taking over the gold farming and lvling companies? This is not personally directed at anyone, I just feel alot of the magic that made this game more enjoyable has left the building. It saddens me to see the need for a system like this but Blizzard has done what it has to do I guess.

I wish you all the best of luck in any future endeavors and hope this works out well for you all.

- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Miralen : 04-01-09 at 04:13 AM.
04-01-09, 04:07 AM   #32
uncaringbear
A Kobold Labourer
Ummmm, this is an April Fools joke, right?
04-01-09, 04:07 AM   #33
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
lol 04/01/2009
04-01-09, 04:13 AM   #34
Eggi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
As you pay a monthly fee for wow I'm quite sure that you also have to pay on a monthly basis for the addons, because otherwise it would not be possible for the authors to provide updates and support for their addons.
04-01-09, 04:14 AM   #35
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

oh no... I just tryed to log in to WoW and I'm getting stuck on "authenticating"... I wonder if they read my earlier rant and have decided they don't need my hard earned money...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-01-09, 04:18 AM   #36
Desul
A Kobold Labourer
Not sure I believe this :] I mean.. look at the date
(for those of you who are slow... April 1st-April First)
Although I love the concept, but I do NOT want to pay for any addons '-_- I already own an iPhone..

Last edited by Desul : 04-01-09 at 04:23 AM.
04-01-09, 04:24 AM   #37
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Not exactly something you'd tease users with. The prospect of making money through Blizzard could very well be legitimate. I would look more at more absurd changes or additions such as the "bard" class. I could very well see this being a legitimate change, but I suppose that remains to be seen.

(edit) I really do hope it's a hoax.
04-01-09, 04:30 AM   #38
spiel2001
nUI's Author

As one of the evil for-pay add-on authors, I have mixed feelings on this... on the one hand, I truly look forward to having a viable means of earning a decent living from my skill set. In addition, after having had my face melted off for over a week by a bunch of pimple-faced self-centered entitlement minded trolls, the word karma jumps to mind. But I am sad to be losing WoWI.

I've submitted nUI to the store already.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
04-01-09, 04:33 AM   #39
Darxon
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Considering the date Two-Headed Ogres
04-01-09, 04:37 AM   #40
harlekinah
A Kobold Labourer
Must be an aprils 1st joke....carefully watch posted screen.

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/04/01...ht-highroller/

Last edited by harlekinah : 04-01-09 at 04:50 AM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » More Upcoming 3.1 AddOn Changes