09-28-06, 10:20 AM   #1
jpwoof
A Murloc Raider
Ace 2.0 addons question

I'm new to Ace so please bear with me with the following questions.

Are all Ace addons memory efficient? Will that help the lag and slowness that I sometimes experience in-game?

I recently downloaded FuBar and Sprocket. Both have embedded Ace 2. Does this mean I don't need to download Ace2 separately? Isn't it a waste of harddisk space to keep Ace2 for both and other addons?

I'm also finding a hart time downloading addons from WoWace. It's not very intuitive. Probably because it's in a form of a Wiki and I was expecting to see "Download" button right away. Anyways, what does SVN stand for?

Thanks!

Last edited by jpwoof : 09-28-06 at 10:22 AM.
09-28-06, 11:07 AM   #2
Sparr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by jpwoof
Are all Ace addons memory efficient? Will that help the lag and slowness that I sometimes experience in-game?
I can't vouch for the efficiency of all Ace addons, obviously, but having transitioned from a setup consisting of CTMod+CTRaidAssist+TitanBar to PerfectRaid+oRA2+BigWigs2+Bartender2+Fubar2 etc, my addon working set has gone down from about 48 MB to 24 MB, with less memory alloc fluctuations to boot.

Now, about your lag, it all depends on what type of lag you're experiencing. Is it lag due to network latency or saturation of your bandwidth, is it due to a lack of CPU or GPU power, or perhaps due to lack of memory that's causing your OS to page memory a lot...? Running more efficient addons may improve your game experience by freeing some of your CPU and connection (e.g., less of it is taken by internal channel comms by addons) bandwidth, but whether you'll see measurable improvements is something you'll have to try for yourself.

I recently downloaded FuBar and Sprocket. Both have embedded Ace 2. Does this mean I don't need to download Ace2 separately? Isn't it a waste of harddisk space to keep Ace2 for both and other addons?
That's correct, there's no need to install Ace2 as a separate "addon" into your Interface/Addons directory.

Harddisk space is cheap, and the switch from a libraries model to an embed model has advantages that outweigh the storage space issue. I refer you to the document here: http://www.wowace.com/wiki/Ace2_Memory_Concerns. Its does not primarily address your subject, but in the discussion about memory usage, it explains the motivation behind the 'embed' design.

I'm also finding a hart time downloading addons from WoWace. It's not very intuitive. Probably because it's in a form of a Wiki and I was expecting to see "Download" button right away. Anyways, what does SVN stand for?
SVN is Subversion, the version control system used by the Ace folk to manage their source code revisions.

Last edited by Sparr : 09-28-06 at 11:17 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Ace 2.0 addons question