02-22-07, 03:22 PM   #1
DunedainKilrog
A Murloc Raider

Question Decrease your zone time mod(s)???

I do not know if there are any such beasts out there at this point, but I would like to pick one up. For clarifications sake; I do not mean a timer to tell me how long it takes to zone into an instance or Zone. What I am talking about is a new and updated mod that works exactly like Catalyst did which is now defunct.

Does anyone know of such a mod? Can anyone make such a mod?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edit: Thanks for pointing out my error in wording Josh It has been fixed.

Far too many other games to list.

http://www.rpgoutfitter.com/wow-gm/c...ain@US-Kilrogg

Last edited by DunedainKilrog : 02-22-07 at 04:18 PM.
02-22-07, 03:28 PM   #2
JoshBorke
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
perhaps you meant DECREASE your zone time? The functionality in Catalyst has already been incorporated into the WoW client. Perhaps you are using a copious amount of addons with embedded libraries like Ace2 based addons (which includes every FuBar plugin). If that is the case then increase load times for the initial login can be expected unless you un-embed the shared libraries (thereby defeating the purpose).

Hope this helps a bit.
02-22-07, 03:39 PM   #3
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by JoshBorke
perhaps you meant DECREASE your zone time? The functionality in Catalyst has already been incorporated into the WoW client. Perhaps you are using a copious amount of addons with embedded libraries like Ace2 based addons (which includes every FuBar plugin). If that is the case then increase load times for the initial login can be expected unless you un-embed the shared libraries (thereby defeating the purpose).

Hope this helps a bit.

This person speaks the truth. The WoW client has had this for awhile. I also agree on ace mods.
02-22-07, 04:07 PM   #4
DunedainKilrog
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by JoshBorke

Hope this helps a bit.

Yes, sorry, my mistake, I did mean decrease the load times. I do run a few Ace2 addons. The ones that I do use that are Ace2 are:

AutoBar Config
Autobar
Decursive
OneBag
OneBank
OneRing
ScrollingCombatText
SCT options
SCTD options
and
SCTD

I do NOT run Fubar at all.

I use alll of those options regularly, although the AutoBar config I only use when a quest requires me to unhide my pet bar (I am a Mage btw).

Based on those mods listed, is there any way to adjust the memory that they use? Would a detailed list of the Mods that I do use be of more help?? As a FYI, I have over 1.5 gigs of Ram total on my machine with 256 of that dedicated to addons. Should I change that number?

To give you an idea of my instance load times:

I was in Shattered Halls last night. When we would wipe (and then have to go back in) or when we ran out, I was a good 5-10 seconds behind everyone getting back into the instance. Before Cat went defunct, I was able to load actually faster than almost everyone else in our 40man MC Raid group.

I greatly appreciate the fast responses to my thread. I am glad that I have found a few folks so willing to help me in my cause.

Thanks in advance (again) for your thoughts and replies.

02-22-07, 04:44 PM   #5
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

but ace addons DO use less memory during gameplay.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
02-22-07, 06:23 PM   #6
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

1. you say you have 256mb dedicated to addons, i seem to remember reading somewhere that WoW won't exceed something like 74mb, regardless of what you "assign" to them in your addons section. i might suggest setting that number to 0mb to let the client automatically manage your addon memory.

2. as was stated, Ace mods may increase your initial load times, but any extraneous/duplicate libraries that are loaded will be unloaded on the first garbage collection. i run an almost entirely Ace2 interface that is far more fully featured than any interface i've had befrore (all of my own design made from various mods) and i average around slightly more than half of the memory of my last (pre 2.0) interface.

3. you gave a short list of Ace2 addons, if those are not your only addons, i suggest looking for Ace2-based addons which are comparable to whatever other addons your using. i'd bet you have better overall performance and less memory usage than you have now.
02-22-07, 07:28 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Rigorous
1. you say you have 256mb dedicated to addons, i seem to remember reading somewhere that WoW won't exceed something like 74mb, regardless of what you "assign" to them in your addons section. i might suggest setting that number to 0mb to let the client automatically manage your addon memory.
I have had my memory set to 130 in the past and it used to max out and freeze up the game for a few seconds every now and then. That's when I ditched auctioneer, bottom scanner, and a whole bunch of other addons and switched to a lot of Ace2 stuff.

(EDIT: woot! 100th post :P )
02-23-07, 03:05 AM   #8
DunedainKilrog
A Murloc Raider

I would like to see that post about the memory and WoW. I have also set it to 0 and WoW promptly ate every last byte of memory that I had and never let go. Unfortunately, that is not an option.

2. as was stated, Ace mods may increase your initial load times, but any extraneous/duplicate libraries that are loaded will be unloaded on the first garbage collection. i run an almost entirely Ace2 interface that is far more fully featured than any interface i've had befrore (all of my own design made from various mods) and i average around slightly more than half of the memory of my last (pre 2.0) interface.

My issue is not with the initial load time. It is with every subsequent load of the same instance. I too, run a very select group of addons. My pre 2.0 mods never had this problem, and there is no reason that I should have it now.

3. you gave a short list of Ace2 addons, if those are not your only addons, i suggest looking for Ace2-based addons which are comparable to whatever other addons your using. i'd bet you have better overall performance and less memory usage than you have now.
While in theory, that might be useful for others, it will not work in my case. I use VERY specific addons for very specific functions. Ace2 addons do not have all of the built in features that some of the addons that I do use, thusly making it so that I would have to use 6-7 addons from Ace2 to equal 1 addon that I use now.

I can not see how, without knowing exactly what addons I run, you can make the assumption about my memory and performance. Without any data posted from you and myself, there can be no reliable comparison.

I am not trying to be a newb asshat here, but there are some issues of logic that do not add up to some of your conclusions.

Again, let me say this. I do greatly appreciate your replies. To me, they lead to just more questions at this point than answers. If you would agree to it, I am more than willing to post my entire addon list if you would do the same. That way, when you explain something to me about this.that, or the other thing, I can visually see what you are talking about and that will increase my ability to soak this all in much faster and enable me to make the fixes that I need to.

Once again,

Thanks in advance!

Edit: One last thing. My original question has still gone unanswered. Is there a mod or are there several mods that function like Catalyst with the sole respective purpose of decreasing zone into instance and straight zone times. Based on what I just said and all of us having the knowledge that Cat has NOT worked since the 1.11 patch, I ask that people refrain from making any comments about that fact as we all know of this fact. My original question deals with a completely different focus, that being: Is there a mod or mods that act like Cat, yet actually work for TBC. I am not interested in starting a debate here about RAM for addons or you run too many, or you need to run these instead of what you do run. We can leave that debate for another day and thread.

Again,

All respects,

Dunedain

Last edited by DunedainKilrog : 02-23-07 at 06:24 AM.
02-23-07, 10:26 AM   #9
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

well then my apologies for giving you the best advice i had. i was only making suggestions based on what i consider to be fairly extensive experience with a great number of excellent as well as somewhat poor mods and a good deal of reading in an effort to help.

i recognize what i said was beyond the scope of your original question and was an uncalled for recommendation about interface elements and memory usage.

hence....

unfortunately, i too am unaware of any Catalyst-like mods because that functionality was built into Blizzard's client some time ago. again, my apologies.

EDIT: my point was merely to address your perceived problem: zone load times. in the absence of a Catalyst-type mod (as the specific functionality of Catalyst is no longer necessary), your only option (to my knowledge) to decrease your load times is to optimize your interface setup as much as possible. i was merely making suggestions, based on my experience, to that end.

Last edited by Rigorous : 02-23-07 at 11:21 AM.
02-23-07, 10:35 AM   #10
JoshBorke
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Unfortunately with the performance measures implemented in Catalyst being incorporated into the default WoW client, there isn't anything else that a mod could really do. My recommendation would be to run with the least amount addons while you try to find what addons could be causing the increase in zoning times. What you might find is that no one addon increases it a lot and then you are stuck trying to figure out which addons you can remove to improve your zone time.

It could be worse, it could affect you during combat also.

PS: You could just wipe less :P (j/k)
02-23-07, 11:58 AM   #11
DunedainKilrog
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Rigorous
well then my apologies for giving you the best advice i had. i was only making suggestions based on what i consider to be fairly extensive experience with a great number of excellent as well as somewhat poor mods and a good deal of reading in an effort to help.

i recognize what i said was beyond the scope of your original question and was an uncalled for recommendation about interface elements and memory usage.

hence....

unfortunately, i too am unaware of any Catalyst-like mods because that functionality was built into Blizzard's client some time ago. again, my apologies.

Bah, don't apologize for you giving me your thoughts, like I said, I appreciate them greatly as it makes me think and try and figure other things out. Can you and I swap, maybe via email or PM here, our list of mods? If I can see what you do and figure out my own personal settings (so that maybe I will NOT lose anything), it might work for me and I am willing to try that out.

Cat = Catalyst

As Cat like mods go, this is the way I am thinking of the past and present (well the present one that does not exist yet):

The old Cat: It took advantage of something in WoW that enabled it to speed things up there by decreasing the zone load times until the 1.11 patch

A new Cat: Since the old Cat's "hole" has been fixed and integrated into WoW....maybe now there is another one out there that can be used, thus giving us the speed decrease from the 1.11 patch and then a new decrease from the new Cat to even further drop the times to our Zone Loads.

Lemme know your thoughts Rig and Josh

PS: LOL Josh! we try man, we try

Last edited by DunedainKilrog : 02-23-07 at 12:00 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Increase your zone time mod(s)???