08-04-14, 09:38 AM   #1
citrot
A Murloc Raider
Function timing

Hi!

I would like to execute timed functions. Only wow lua support i found until now: "OnUpdate" event. Is there something else what is not based on graphical engine?

Thank you,
08-04-14, 12:19 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unless you're getting 2 FPS, and even then for most purposes, it doesn't really matter that OnUpdate is tied to your framerate:

Code:
local t = 5 -- do something 5 seconds from now
local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:SetScript("OnUpdate", function(self, elapsed)
     t = t - elapsed
     if t <= 0 then
          -- do something
     end
end)
Your other option would be to use the animation system:

Code:
local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
local g = f:CreateAnimationGroup()
local a = g:CreateAnimation()
a:SetDuration(5) -- do something in 5 seconds
g:SetScript("OnFinished", function()
     -- do something
end)
All existing timer libraries use one of the above methods.

In WoD the game will provide an actual timer mechanism, but the primary benefit to using it will likely be in reducing the amount of code that needs to be written to implement a timer, rather than offering any tangible performance boost:

Code:
C_Timer.After(5, function()
     -- do something
end)
08-04-14, 07:12 PM   #3
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

C_Timer would most likely be better for performance too, but no benchmarks have been done yet.
08-04-14, 09:17 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I would think C_Timer.After() would be easier on resources since you won't have to create any UI objects to use. The only problem is you'll need to manage setting it up again if you want something to keep calling every so many seconds if you don't want to use Blizzard's Lua-defined Ticker factories (C_Timer.NewTicker() and C_Timer.NewTimer()). Note the Ticker factories return a table hooked into a metatable to control the ability to cancel a timer with entries for remaining iteration counts, a cancel flag, and a dynamicly-created callback function that is passed to C_Timer each iteration. This creates significantly more overhead than using C_Timer.After() yourself.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 08-04-14 at 09:36 PM.
08-04-14, 11:51 PM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
I would think C_Timer.After() would be easier on resources since you won't have to create any UI objects to use. The only problem is you'll need to manage setting it up again if you want something to keep calling every so many seconds if you don't want to use Blizzard's Lua-defined Ticker factories (C_Timer.NewTicker() and C_Timer.NewTimer()). Note the Ticker factories return a table hooked into a metatable to control the ability to cancel a timer with entries for remaining iteration counts, a cancel flag, and a dynamicly-created callback function that is passed to C_Timer each iteration. This creates significantly more overhead than using C_Timer.After() yourself.
Basically, unless you need to cancel it or need something that keeps repeating, use C_Timer.After.
08-05-14, 03:54 PM   #6
citrot
A Murloc Raider
Thank you for tipps. I think, i keep OnUpdate.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Function timing