06-28-11, 06:24 PM   #1
heftybags
A Defias Bandit
Angry Have the devs thought about selling or handing Carbonite off?

I know that since the monthly fee went bye bye thanks to Blizzard the profit margin is way down on such a robust addon. This is obvious from lack of updates (remember when Carbonite was fully functional on patch days or at least had several post from the devs?) So I was wondering instead of letting this great addon fall apart has any thought been given to selling the rights or handing it off do a different team that can give it the time, support and love it deserves?

This is not to be taken as disrespect to anyone I know you guys need to make a living and wow addons isn't doing that.

06-28-11, 07:10 PM   #2
Lyoo
A Fallenroot Satyr
As sad as it is.. the chances are the devs are going to let the addon die

06-28-11, 07:50 PM   #3
Mysfit
A Murloc Raider
ya i donated to it twice. this is why i wont donate to addons any more to many have taken the money and left.

06-29-11, 12:07 AM   #4
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
once again... oh this add-on going to die....
get over it. they are working on it..
There RL is more pressing than this at the moment.
so it take's them a bit to update it.. in the past 6 year the RL world has change. So plz don't take it out on them for it..

06-29-11, 02:37 AM   #5
Chevonne
A Murloc Raider
Yeah...RL takes priority over games for responsible adults. I for one am grateful they still keep this addon going. Its just about the only one I use. And now that I have work again, you bet I contribute. So if it takes a week or even more, its all good. You can't beat it for what it does.

A little donation would sure sweeten the pot - those of you who love to take the free ride...

07-06-11, 05:56 PM   #6
link07
A Murloc Raider
I am happy they are not letting it die and are keeping up on it, but it would be nice if they started training some new ppl with more time, so that the much needed featured could be added, maby not hand it off but at least have some new ppl help with it!

07-07-11, 08:33 PM   #7
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by heftybags View Post
I know that since the monthly fee went bye bye thanks to Blizzard the profit margin is way down on such a robust addon. This is obvious from lack of updates (remember when Carbonite was fully functional on patch days or at least had several post from the devs?) So I was wondering instead of letting this great addon fall apart has any thought been given to selling the rights or handing it off do a different team that can give it the time, support and love it deserves?

This is not to be taken as disrespect to anyone I know you guys need to make a living and wow addons isn't doing that.
No disrespect taken While our Carbonite adventure was intended to make money it has also been a labor of love (as it is for most Addon authors). If we ever decide to stop supporting Carbonite I'm sure we will make arrangements for it to live on. In the meantime we will continue to keep it alive and well based on the time we can afford.

07-10-11, 08:05 AM   #8
bessiq
A Murloc Raider

Premium Member
I was actually going to start a thread similar to this, but saw this one first! Carbonite is incredible mostly, but sometimes I wish they'd at least recruit some "lackeys" from the community to help them develop and update it on the cheap (or free)! I know WoW has peaked in popularity, but obviously plenty of folks still love it, flaws and all.

Right now, my only serious issue is the lack of zone info (quests and maps) for the new Molten Front area. Sure, the memory consumption could be a little more desirable, and a slight makeover wouldn't hurt it, but it's 99% functional and that is what matters.

I've often thought of donating to Carbonite, and it's the only addon I've ever considered donating to. I guess now it's the case of which came first though, the donation or the update? lol.

Regardless, many thanks to Carbonite's authors -- throw us a bone when you get a chance! <3

07-12-11, 06:49 AM   #9
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
People like myself who have been using Carbonite for a long time (and remember paying the monthly subscription) should still have no issue donating. We should all understand this was made as a business venture between (what I assume) two people. When you're running a business and attempting to make profits - you give much more time of your life to running that business and making sure you have a high quality product. Now that they are forced to do it for free, I'm sure they have moved onto different projects (for profit) that take up their time and I'm just very thankful they still update this.

This is one of two addons that I continually donate to because it is that helpful. I don't, and no one should, consider a donation to Carbonite as "wasted" or "they take the money and run". Even if you've donated and if they would let the addon die (which they won't) you've still had an amazing run with the product and it is so useful in almost all gaming aspects that it is/was well worth the donation.

07-12-11, 08:02 AM   #10
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
People like myself who have been using Carbonite for a long time (and remember paying the monthly subscription) should still have no issue donating. We should all understand this was made as a business venture between (what I assume) two people. When you're running a business and attempting to make profits - you give much more time of your life to running that business and making sure you have a high quality product. Now that they are forced to do it for free, I'm sure they have moved onto different projects (for profit) that take up their time and I'm just very thankful they still update this.

This is one of two addons that I continually donate to because it is that helpful. I don't, and no one should, consider a donation to Carbonite as "wasted" or "they take the money and run". Even if you've donated and if they would let the addon die (which they won't) you've still had an amazing run with the product and it is so useful in almost all gaming aspects that it is/was well worth the donation.
Love this post.. it says it all

07-15-11, 09:05 PM   #11
_cat_
A Murloc Raider
i agree with shadow78. schizophrena's post says it all.

if their rl responsibilities take their time, then i for one am content to wait patiently until they have the time to work on it. i wish i could donate more often. the authors most definitely deserve it!!

07-16-11, 03:39 PM   #12
Remiind
A Defias Bandit
I hope they let someone else take over if they don't want to work on it anymore, I love this addon!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Have the devs thought about selling or handing Carbonite off?