03-14-18, 01:02 AM   #1
bryde
A Defias Bandit
Larger childframe not overflowing parentframe

Hello everybody,
I'd like to know if it's possible to force a childframe to be "fully there" (in size) but it's texture not overflowing the boundaries of it's parentframe.
I don't have a project that requires this as of right now, but basically let's assume something like

Code:
parent = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)
parent:SetSize(400,400)
parent:SetPoint("center")

child = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, parent)
child:SetSize(800,800)
child:SetPoint("Center")
if I set a texture for the background of the child, it'll draw the whole texture, but I'd like it to only paint within the parents boundries. I know I could work around the issue with the rectangle function and stuff, but that doesn't seem feasible in some cases. For example zoomed-in maps where you want to change the view with WASD or something, you'd have to reload the whole texture every time rather than just loading it once and manipulating it's x/y coordinates. Is there any way to do that?
03-14-18, 01:49 AM   #2
Aftermathhqt
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[quote=bryde;327220]snip/QUOTE]

this should work, although i would not name your frames parent or child if they are global, they will most likey interfere with some other stuff.

Lua Code:
  1. local MyFrame = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)
  2. MyFrame:SetSize(400, 400)
  3. MyFrame:SetPoint("CENTER", UIParent)
  5. local MyFrameChild = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, MyFrame)
  6. MyFrameChild:SetSize(800, 800)
  7. MyFrameChild:SetPoint("CENTER", MyFrame)
03-14-18, 02:20 AM   #3
bryde
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for the quick answer. Like I said, I'm not actively working on a project so the variable names were just chosen for easy identification.
Sadly however it's still doing what I don't want it to do

I adjusted your code to create a colortexture in the child frame and the texture is still overflowing, using all the 800x800 instead of the 400x400 window created by it's parent:

Lua Code:
  1. local MyFrame = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)
  2. MyFrame:SetSize(400, 400)
  3. MyFrame:SetPoint("CENTER", UIParent)
  5. local MyFrameChild = CreateFrame("Frame", nil, MyFrame)
  6. MyFrameChild:SetSize(800, 800)
  7. MyFrameChild:SetPoint("CENTER", MyFrame)
  9. MyFrameChild.Texture = MyFrameChild:CreateTexture()
  10. MyFrameChild.Texture:SetAllPoints()
  11. MyFrameChild.Texture:SetColorTexture(1,1,1)

As mentioned, fills the 800x800 (and that's perfect), but I only want it to render the 400x400px of the parent. The idea being that the full 800x800 texture is loaded into cache but only the 400x400 part is visible/rendered.
03-14-18, 03:10 AM   #4
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Lua Code:
  1. parent:SetClipsChildren(true)
03-14-18, 03:13 AM   #5
bryde
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
Lua Code:
  1. parent:SetClipsChildren(true)
Aaaaah... just what I was looking for. May I ask where you found it? I've looked through the old wowprogramming reference, the wowwikia reference and so on and there's no mentioning of it anywhere?
03-14-18, 09:53 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I believe that method is relatively recent.

Before it was added, you would need a scrollframe container if you did not want to clip the texture manually.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-14-18, 10:05 AM   #7
Gethe
RealUI Developer

Premium Member
Featured
Both of those resources are very outdated. Wowpedia is where most of the updated info is. Even this site isn't exhaustively updated, but it's better than the sites you've been using.

Blizzard has recently started documenting the API themselves via the Blizzard_APIDocumentation addon. Foxlit has made an online browser for it.

03-14-18, 11:17 AM   #8
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by bryde View Post
Aaaaah... just what I was looking for. May I ask where you found it? I've looked through the old wowprogramming reference, the wowwikia reference and so on and there's no mentioning of it anywhere?
I found this by examining the __index entry of a frame metatable. I rarely use the websites anymore because they're either outdated or lack the very specific information I'm looking for. I think Blizzard are trying to remedy this with their seemingly large focus on API documentation for the beta.

You can also do frame:SetTopLevel(true) to make it behave like a scroll frame.
SetClipsChildren will clip the children at the boundaries of the parent, but I think they're still clickable.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Larger childframe not overflowing parentframe