07-27-09, 11:37 AM   #1
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Post Feature Request: Improved pathing

Carbonites pathing is good in and of itself.

But wouldn't it be great if instead of showing a straight line between the player's character and the next waypoint, the path took account of major terrain obstacles (cliffs, major impassable structures etc) when the character isn't in flight?

It may be something that could be implemented using similar code to gather "taboo" regions (should they be added), only instead of discounting a waypoint, it snaps to the nearest outer edge (or better yet, the apex) of a taboo region and routes around it.

Of course, in a perfect world mountain paths would have a routes too.

I know, this is quite an ambition suggestion, but I'm sure players would help out with coordinates. (The area's could start out as user definable, then ask players to send in their data for collation).

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Last edited by Unbelievable : 07-27-09 at 11:52 AM.

07-27-09, 03:06 PM   #2
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not only would that be a lot of data to gather, but it would be slow to calculate and most of the terrain is irregular shapes.

I have always thought of the questing system as suggestions, not a do exactly what I tell you system. I expect people to be able to figure out that they can't run through that mountain, well most people anyway.

07-27-09, 08:11 PM   #3
avid
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Not only would that be a lot of data to gather, but it would be slow to calculate and most of the terrain is irregular shapes.

I have always thought of the questing system as suggestions, not a do exactly what I tell you system. I expect people to be able to figure out that they can't run through that mountain, well most people anyway.
Not to mention you'd have to take into consideration whether or not the user would be flying on top of that. Considering 3.2 will allow flying mounts throughout Outlands, that certainly allows for a lot more people to be flying while questing.

07-27-09, 09:09 PM   #4
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by avid View Post
Considering 3.2 will allow flying mounts throughout Outlands, that certainly allows for a lot more people to be flying while questing.
Eh? They are lowering the level requirement??

07-27-09, 09:38 PM   #5
MikeB
Premium Member
From http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patch...atchnotes.html

Mounts
Apprentice Riding (Skill 75): Can now be learned at level 20 for 4 gold. Mail will be sent to players who reach level 20 directing them to the riding trainer.
Journeyman Riding (Skill 150): Can now be learned at level 40 for 50 gold. Mail will be sent to players who reach level 40 directing them back to the riding trainer.
Expert Riding (Skill 225): Can now be learned at level 60 for 600 gold from trainers in Honor Hold or Thrallmar. Faction discounts now apply (Honor Hold for Alliance; Thrallmar for Horde). Flight speed at this skill level has been increased to 150% of run speed, up from 60%.

07-27-09, 11:00 PM   #6
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ah, I do read the notes and saw the speed increase, but I missed the lvl 60.

Thx

07-29-09, 01:47 AM   #7
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Fair enough

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Feature Request: Improved pathing