03-04-10, 07:46 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
WARNING: Phishing scam attempt

If you got a PM from someone on the site called 'wowmanager' or 'interface121', saying:

I need your help, here is my post.
or any variation thereof, do NOT click on the link and log in to that site. It is NOT WoWInterface. If you check the url closely, you will see that it is actually "Wowinte N face". (spaces added because we've censored the link). If you don't pay really close attention, it really looks like our site. It isn't. This is an attempted Phishing scam.

If you have already clicked the link and tried to login please change your password asap! They were showing a fake login page.

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-04-10 at 07:57 PM.
03-05-10, 11:04 PM   #2
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ahhh another example of our lovely , talented , beatiful , hard working , cute , red headed admin-mistress at work

A comparative whois search is a good way of ascertaining if a certain body of people own a particular domain or not. You could use domaintools.com for that

Of course if there is any doubt at all then simply don't put your username and password in at all.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
03-06-10, 09:21 PM   #3
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Get em Cairenn!
03-07-10, 12:16 AM   #4
LittleWhiteDove
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Thank you for the warning!
03-17-10, 10:49 AM   #5
Tntdruid
Premium Member

Premium Member
Report the url's to http://www.phishtank.com/index.php
06-08-10, 03:15 PM   #6
QuestorWI
An Aku'mai Servant
I got Hacked and what WoW said about it!

I got hacked and when I finally got through to WoW Billing and Tech support I was ask & then told that and I quote "Do you use WoWMatix & the Curse Client to update & get new addons? (YES) Both of these sites have been hacked from someplace in Asia most likely China and that is how your account got hacked. One of the addons placed a back door on your computer." My question is has anyone else who has gotten hacked recently gotten the same info from Blizzard? It took me 4 days to get through to Blizzard and another 4 days to get all of my gold and stuff back. I kept getting the wonderful auto message that all reps were busy please call back later ****. (Blizzard needs to hire more people!!!! Raises hand to offer my servers.)
06-08-10, 03:57 PM   #7
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

I can give you 100% guarantee that WoW AddOns cannot hack your computer. If you are downloading off www.Curse.com or www.WoWInterface.com... you will not have issues. Curse, WoWI, and IncGamers should be the only places you download your AddOns. Don't use WoWMatrix.
06-09-10, 10:33 AM   #8
QuestorWI
An Aku'mai Servant
Thank You

One further question is the Curse Client safe to use?
06-09-10, 11:27 AM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by QuestorWI View Post
One further question is the Curse Client safe to use?
Yes, it is (as long as you download it from Curse.com and not any other site). I've been using it since it last went Beta, and haven't had any security issues with it thus far. However, it's better to ask this question over on the Curse forums.

Edit: Looking further up.. I'm not sure Blizzard can actually tell you that about the Curse client. Seems they would have no way of knowing that information.... although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Petrah : 06-09-10 at 11:37 AM.
06-10-10, 05:27 AM   #10
stqn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
email scam

As for some reason I can't post a new thread...

I just received a scam mail to my wowinterface.com address. This address, of course, has been used only to create my account on this site.

The HTML mail contains numerous links to official Blizzard sites (blizzard.com and battle.net), but also two links to "supportbattle.net" which is owned by some chinese company. The mail was sent through TOR.

I hope the site admins didn't sell their users email addresses... And if they didn't, they should improve their security seriously.

Edit: I stopped playing WoW in 2008 so it's unlikely the leak is on my side. Also used to run virus/spyware scans quite frequently and don't remember finding anything serious that way for a long time.
Edit2: Hmm... Unless I was hit by some security vulnerability in Firefox enabling sites to grab stored login information, that is.

Last edited by stqn : 06-10-10 at 05:42 AM.
06-10-10, 05:36 PM   #11
Bluspacecow

I just received a scam mail to my wowinterface.com address. This address, of course, has been used only to create my account on this site.

I hope the site admins didn't sell their users email addresses... And if they didn't, they should improve their security seriously.
I'm sure they didn't

I've read the official Customer Services forums a lot and there is stories over there of people getting gold seller emails who don't even play World of Warcraft.

One poster's elderly grandmother gets them and she only uses her computer for email and the occasional game of Solitaire (via Solitaire.exe). And she doesn't even have World of Warcraft installed on her computer and couldn't be more far removed from wow then if she was on the international space station and spoke only Esparanto.

Edit: Looking further up.. I'm not sure Blizzard can actually tell you that about the Curse client. Seems they would have no way of knowing that information.... although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
You would be right there Petrah.

It's really not Blizzard's job to ratify or confirm the security of the Curse Client.

It's software that isn't written or supported by them so they don't have any clue as to it's security. For an analogy for you here it's like you going to Microsoft and asking about the security of the Curse Client.

It may download and update software that's used within their software (Blizzard and/or Microsoft).

But as it's not made by them they can not vouch for it's security (they don't have the source code for it)

PS Even if they had the source code they still wouldn't IMHO. It's not their software to make that judgement call on.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 06-10-10 at 05:45 PM.
06-11-10, 12:37 PM   #12
QuestorWI
An Aku'mai Servant
TY all for the info

Thank you all for the info about CurseClient. A friend of mine who works for Blizzard said Blizzard is getting overwhelmed by people who have gotten hacked (just try calling the billing or tech support numbers. If your very, very lucky you might get through in 1 day. I for one tried for 3 days to get through to them to get help for my grandson!!) There are rumors at corp headquarters that they may ban all 3rd party addons and write their own and/or charge players $1.00 per addon per month used to cover the costs they are incuring (hire more GM's, overtime, etc...) restoring equipment. I for one use a ton of addons and can not afford $1.00 per

Last edited by QuestorWI : 06-11-10 at 12:40 PM.
06-11-10, 12:43 PM   #13
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by QuestorWI View Post
There are rumors at corp headquarters that they may ban all 3rd party addons and write their own and/or charge players $1.00 per addon per month used to cover the costs they are incuring (hire more GM's, overtime, etc...) restoring equipment. I for one use a ton of addons and can not afford $1.00 per
I highly doubt that.
06-11-10, 01:06 PM   #14
Bluspacecow

(just try calling the billing or tech support numbers. If your very, very lucky you might get through in 1 day. I for one tried for 3 days to get through to them to get help for my grandson!!)
There's a trick to getting through : if you get the message saying all their lines are busy hang up immediately and press redial. Repeat until you get a message saying you are in the queue. If it says you are in the queue stay in the queue
There are rumors at corp headquarters that they may ban all 3rd party addons and write their own and/or charge players $1.00 per addon per month used to cover the costs they are incuring (hire more GM's, overtime, etc...) restoring equipment. I for one use a ton of addons and can not afford $1.00 per
I highly doubt that.

There are just too many problems inherent in officially supporting addons for Blizzard to ever do what you are suggesting above.

Let's see now.....

First off all current addons would have to be scraped. Addons are author's copyrighted work. Blizzard wouldn't be able to use them (openly viewable code is not open source). So goodbye to all your Favourite addons ... bye bye Bartender... Goodbye Recount...See you later TipTac & DBM ..... Bye bye Bagnon , Auctioneer , Bank stack and all those other varied addons I can't remember the name of.....

Secondly there wouldn't be as many addon authors producing addons in house. Blizzard can only hire so many people after all. Many of the addon authors you rely on for addons have day jobs. And are not willing to move to Texas and/or Anaheim just to be hired by Blizzard. Consequently there wouldn't be as many addons kicking about.

Thirdly addons are physically incapable of hacking you. So all you would be doing is increasing the work load on tech support with no actual benefits.

Lastly if Blizzard did start charging for official addons and third party ones couldn't be used it would kill the thriving addon community we have here. I'm not kidding here it will kill it dead. The community spirit would be gone and their subscription numbers will soon dwindle.

I think the person that you were listening to was wearing their tin foil hat a little too tightly

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 06-11-10 at 01:18 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WARNING: Phishing scam attempt