08-12-09, 05:45 PM   #1
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Anybody miss me?

Hi. I've been going through withdrawel since Saturday night when our house was broken into and both of our laptops were stolen. On top of which a 22 inch flatscreen tv was stolen. Anyway, we've got some temporary replacements for the laptops and we are waiting to see what our renter's insurance will do as far as replacing stuff. In the mean time I'm glad to be back.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
08-12-09, 05:51 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
That really sucks voodoodad, sorry to hear it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
08-12-09, 05:59 PM   #3
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
That really sucks voodoodad, sorry to hear it.
It really does. I thought I'd have more problems not being able to play wow than anything else. But it turns out I'm way more addicted to WoWI than the game itself.

08-12-09, 07:18 PM   #4
tophero21
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
It really does. I thought I'd have more problems not being able to play wow than anything else. But it turns out I'm way more addicted to WoWI than the game itself.
I have the same problem - do you know how often I'm about to start playing but then come here "to check on any new addons" and then end up just browsing around instead of actually playing the game?
08-12-09, 07:24 PM   #5
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Really the worst part (other than losing around $3000 dollars worth of stuff) is downloading wow all over again and then I get to wait for EVERY SINGLE patch to download as well.

/sigh

Oh, and getting used to a new keyboard layout. I haven't got a numpad anymore. Never realize what you'll miss till it's gone.

/double sigh

08-12-09, 07:26 PM   #6
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Sorry to hear about the theft Voodoo Hopefully your insurance will cover you enough to get some new shinies though

And I have to say the same here also, I'm almost more addicted to the forums and community here on WoWI than I am to WoW, lol.
08-12-09, 07:30 PM   #7
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Really the worst part (other than losing around $3000 dollars worth of stuff) is downloading wow all over again and then I get to wait for EVERY SINGLE patch to download as well.

/sigh

Oh, and getting used to a new keyboard layout. I haven't got a numpad anymore. Never realize what you'll miss till it's gone.

/double sigh
You can speed up the WoW downloader a bit.... go to one of the patch mirrors and download the torrent file directly, much faster that way, lol.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors The official Blizz patch server is the last one listed under each incremental version
08-12-09, 07:40 PM   #8
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
You can speed up the WoW downloader a bit.... go to one of the patch mirrors and download the torrent file directly, much faster that way, lol.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors The official Blizz patch server is the last one listed under each incremental version
It's been a while since I did it that way. The patch just goes in the main WoW folder, right?

08-12-09, 07:41 PM   #9
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sorry to here about you loss. Sucks to have someone break into your house. It's not just the loss of your property it's the fact you feel violated.

I had someone break into my house while my girlfriend was home. I was working. She called me and said she heard thought someone downstairs. I said go into the bedroom lock the door and call 911. Better to be safe than sorry.

I also called the local Police and rushed home. By the time I got home the Police where there and my girlfriend, although quite shaken up, was alright. They found the front door opened. Turns out they got in through a little window that's on my front porch. We had an orange extension cord going through it for Christmas lights that we forgot to remove.

Thankfully nothing was stolen.

And just like tophero21 I too always goto play the game .. check here for new and updated mods and typically just hang around here for a few and forget I was just going to play WoW.
08-12-09, 07:47 PM   #10
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's been a while since I did it that way. The patch just goes in the main WoW folder, right?
Judging by my WoW directory, there is a subfolder named Patches with each patch having it's own subfolder also.
08-12-09, 08:19 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It doesn't really matter where the patches go. You'll need to double-click/run them to install them, though.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-12-09, 08:22 PM   #12
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
It doesn't really matter where the patches go. You'll need to double-click/run them to install them, though.
Thanks Seerah, that helps.

08-12-09, 08:32 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I should add "if I remember correctly" to that...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-12-09, 08:34 PM   #14
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I'll soon find out lol.
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I should add "if I remember correctly" to that...

08-12-09, 09:02 PM   #15
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Yep they go in the wow folder.

Run the Background Downloader will make it run a checksum on what you've downloaded then hit up the patch downloader.

Sad to hear about your Burgerly

Did you keep any backups ?

Maybe one with a backup of wow *hint* *hint*
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
08-12-09, 09:10 PM   #16
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Yeah... Unfortunately my ext. hard drive was parked right next to my laptop. They took it, but failed to take the charger for either my or my girlfriend's laptops. They also failed to notice that the battery was out of mine (but sitting right next to it) because it had been causing some overheating issues and I never use it unplugged. But the did take our wireless mouses.... mice... whatever. They get my vote for stupid criminal of the year award.

Oh, both of our laptops were password locked also, and I reaaaally doubt that this guy or guys were capable of decrypting their own names, let alone our 16 mixed character passwords.

08-12-09, 09:54 PM   #17
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ugh. That sucks, man. It's a damn shame it's illegal to lay traps in your own home...

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-12-09, 10:08 PM   #18
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Ugh. That sucks, man. It's a damn shame it's illegal to lay traps in your own home...
I'm not blaming myself at all, but living in the crapaliscious neighborhood where we reside we should've been locking the laptops up while we were at work. Oh, well. It'll never happen again. (Although the idea of rigging a shotgun under the desk does have some appeal to it)

08-12-09, 10:38 PM   #19
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Really sorry to hear about your loss.

And here I am on the boards when I was going to go look up something on Google...
08-12-09, 10:41 PM   #20
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post

It's funny as hell that you mention this, because I use them when the weather is nice enough to keep my dogs outside. I wasn't aware they're illegal though, not that that fact really changes anything.

Sorry to hear about the theft Voodoo, bad news indeed.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Anybody miss me?