12-06-09, 12:56 PM   #1
Sec
A Cyclonian

Please Doctor WhoDat.

(I sincerely hope this is posted in the right subforum. Also, sorry for the pun. Couldn't resist. ^^")

Hello, addon authors hosted on WoWInterface!

I come before you all with a humble request. An addon called WhoDat is in need of repair, however its author (Frella) no longer plays World of Warcraft and has not logged into WoWInterface in months. I am trying to get ahold of Frella to see if they will be able to fix the problem themselves, but with no activity in months, I do not have much hope.

The purpose of WhoDat is to provide a stand-alone addon that will insert a main character's name next to the corresponding alt whenever the alt speaks in a chat channel. It's similar to a module in Chatter but can require less configuration if a GM or Officer has already made necessary additions to the Guild Info tab and either Public or Officer notes.

It's broken because of the following: if a person is playing their alt and types something, their message will simply not be displayed in the chat window of a user running WhoDat. My hunch is this is a result of Blizzard adding in class-colored name support to chat windows. Sometimes the alts text isn't blocked - possibly depending on if an alt is online before the WhoDat user comes on, or logs on after the WhoDat user is on. I haven't used the addon in some time as I had started using Chatter, but I really do not utilize all that Chatter has and do not like manually adding in alts/mains.

There is one other problem that I will copy/paste from WhoDat's comment page:

Aside from this, I noticed something the other night. I was having a whisper conversation with a guildmate's alt using the addon Cellular. When the alt said something, the main's name showed up in brackets, correctly. When I said something though, that main's name showed up in brackets too - even though I am clearly a separate person. Clarification:

BOB [DAN]: Hi!
JILL [DAN]: Hi!
JILL [DAN]: Wait... I'm not Dan! D:
I'd be happy to test any fixes that could be made to WhoDat - this addon was extremely handy not only for the addition it made to the chat window, but also in displaying a tooltip stating alts/mains when browsing over members in the Guild window.
12-06-09, 01:24 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Have you tried this? http://www.wowinterface.com/download...arityAlts.html I seem to remember there being another addon which did this function as well, but I can't remember the name.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-06-09, 02:36 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Identity 2 was one I used and allowed me to set up a name to display alongside my characters name so that everyone knew it was an alt of mine or explained why someone called me a completely different name rofl.
12-06-09, 03:54 PM   #4
Sec
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Have you tried this? http://www.wowinterface.com/download...arityAlts.html I seem to remember there being another addon which did this function as well, but I can't remember the name.
I just tried SolidarityAlts and get a bug similar to the one I am experiencing with WhoDat, where it doesn't show whatever the alt character says. I posted the bug on SolidarityAlts' comments page in the hopes that the author might fix it. Though, unfortunately SolidarityAlts doesn't work with /officer right now and this is a channel that is more active than /guild. This is because I am in a Roleplaying guild and we use /guild for "in character" talk and /officer for "out of character" talk.

So far it's 2/2 addons that are broken likely due to some sort of change Blizzard has made. Identity-2 is an addon last updated in 2008 - I'm certain it'd also be broken.

I need to get back to Frella and see if he can figure anything with the addon. If he can't, I suppose the request will stand if someone else can step in and take a look/fix it.
12-06-09, 07:22 PM   #5
trezy
A Cliff Giant
Identity is currently in use by almost everyone in my guild and it works perfectly fine with no errors. Its fun to mess around with too.
12-06-09, 10:01 PM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just off topic I saw the topic and thought :

tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
12-06-09, 11:26 PM   #7
zero-kill
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
Just off topic I saw the topic and thought :

You beat me to it :P

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Please Doctor WhoDat.