07-29-09, 01:56 AM   #1
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
YAY i finally got it working.

Been trying for 2 days now to get networking up and running on the linux box im building and finally got it sorted out. Took so long to get it sorted out i figured id post a message from the machine to celebrate lol.

/geek off

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-29-09, 02:28 AM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Congrats MidgetMage55
07-29-09, 02:32 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Hehe thanks. First time trying out linux. Its definitely a challenge. The geek in me however wont let me give up. Now to get my vid drivers and other goodies installed lol.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-29-09, 02:36 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
07-29-09, 02:39 AM   #5
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Looks like Cairenn needs the Opti-Grab.
07-29-09, 09:55 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Linux is what I'm debating on for my new computer (once we get the pieces bought and built). I'll have to play with it a bit more first though, before I decide if my geekiness is up to it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-29-09, 11:23 AM   #7
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Regarding Windows Vista and Windows 7:

"These are not the operating systems you are looking for."

*waves hand mysteriously*

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-29-09, 11:43 AM   #8
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Regarding Windows Vista and Windows 7:

"These are not the operating systems you are looking for."

*waves hand mysteriously*
Move along.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
07-29-09, 03:15 PM   #9
Verissi
Premium Member

Well done, MidgetMage55! I've been working with/on Linux for what feels like forever (since the 0.9x kernel revs) and I still run into those situations where it feels good to "triumph over the technology" It didn't matter if it was tweaking my Apache configuration or writing a kernel module to support a new laptop's sound chip...any victory was still sweet (yes, I'm THAT geekified).

I'm literally surrounded by Linux machines right now (I have eight machines of various architectures that all run Linux), but my main gaming machine runs Windows for a variety of reasons. It's been tempting for me to just blast my current Vista install or swap drives (I keep a Linux install on one of the hard drives in the Windows box), but I keep finding reasons not to. I will say this, though, the first thing I do when I reboot my Windows machine is open two SSH sessions to my local Linux "workhorse" machine. I just can't function without having quick access to a sane shell and commands that actually do their jobs well

Once you get past the setup process and into day-to-day use, I'm sure you will enjoy the additional functionality as much as I have over the years. Out of curiosity, which distribution did you choose and why? Not looking to start any distribution wars, but I'm always curious to see others' perspectives on what makes a distribution desirable to them.
07-29-09, 03:57 PM   #10
Elpis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I jusr recently converted to Linux. I went through some distro's and the easiest and best looking imo is Linux Mint. They have a very helpful community and always standby on irc to help you out if you have questions or run into problems. For games and ventrilo i use the latest wine version. They work and do the same as some of the commercial versions so just stick to WINE.
Nvidia wins hands down from Ati. The gfx drivers from Nvidia have better Linux support then Ati drivers. Stick to Nvidia if you can.
The biggest downside to running wow on Linux is the lack of hardware cursor support in opengl. It is there for windows and Mac but Blizz seems to think its not that important to Linux users

Apart from the gaming bit.....Linux is just sooo much faster then windows.
It used less resources too and all software that you want is free. For every windows program is a Linux alternative of equal quality

No fear for virusses atm and other mean stuff either, well at least for now.
No more defragging of discs etc.
I really do like linux (could you guess? ) and am getting deeper into it, not as hard as i expected.

If you need a hand with something i can always try and help, i do suspect there are a hell of alot more linux users here that will lend a hand if needed
07-29-09, 04:52 PM   #11
tophero21
A Cliff Giant

out of curiosity, what distro are you running?
07-29-09, 08:04 PM   #12
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Elpis View Post
The biggest downside to running wow on Linux is the lack of hardware cursor support in opengl. It is there for windows and Mac but Blizz seems to think its not that important to Linux users
Correction: Hardware cursor for OpenGL is there for Mac, and isn't for Windows except under DirectX. Blizzard never wrote a version for Linux, so the OpenGL version you're using is the Windows version.

As for distribution, I've run several over the years but at the moment I use KUbuntu.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-29-09, 10:47 PM   #13
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Verissi View Post
... Out of curiosity, which distribution did you choose and why? Not looking to start any distribution wars, but I'm always curious to see others' perspectives on what makes a distribution desirable to them.
I chose Ubuntu because its the only one i was even vaguely aware of. Im still experimenting since its on another box dedicated for just that purpose of trying out versions of linux. So im open to suggestions. I'm not set on any particular version yet. Just getting my feet wet so to speak.

So far im just getting used to how things are installed such as drivers and so on. I dont intend to install any games on it yet since its more of a side project to other things im doing.

So far though im enjoying it and look forward to tinkering with it some more.

07-30-09, 12:09 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
From my research, midgetmage, Ubuntu and Kubutu are the same underneath, but Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop and Kubuntu uses KDE. (I'm semi-partial to KDE atm, myself). I've been trying out openSUSE with the KDE desktop recently, though I haven't done much fiddling with it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-30-09, 12:28 PM   #15
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Kubuntu user here as well. On my netbook I've got Ubuntu, but I'm going to switch to KDE 4.3, because I'm interested in how it performs

At the beginning, I couldn't imagine living without my windows programs. But then I really got hands on linux and now it's the opposite: I refuse to use windows, because it doesn't have all the neat linux-programs and their features

I recently tried to "stream" WoW over to my netbook. It doesn't have enough hard disk capacity to even install WoW (10 gb SSD), but I tried opening an ssh-X-session so that WoW is running on my main pc and just sends the data over to the netbook.
I also found VirtualGL which renders the OpenGL hardware-part on the server machine and then transfers the images to my netbook - so no resources are needed there!
So I can use WoW with maximum graphics settings on my netbook with 20 fps in Dalaran

I really like the things possible with ssh and the whole modular way Linux is built.

Oh hai!
07-30-09, 01:18 PM   #16
Verissi
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
From my research, midgetmage, Ubuntu and Kubutu are the same underneath, but Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop and Kubuntu uses KDE. (I'm semi-partial to KDE atm, myself). I've been trying out openSUSE with the KDE desktop recently, though I haven't done much fiddling with it.
That pretty much sums up the differences with (K)Ubuntu. I've always been more of a command-line warrior, so KDE/Gnome are just fancy dressings around my shells And yes, I still use vim or EMACS over pretty much any other editor. After 20something years of using vi and variants/clones, it grows on you like a fungus.

I was a package maintainer for Debian/GNU Linux for many years (toolchain packages, specifically, and an architecture port lead), so I still remember the beginnings of the "pseudo-fork" that has turned into Ubuntu As a result, I'm chronically allergic to RPM as a package format, but that's more a matter of taste from a package maintenance point of view...and mostly historical at this point; RPM has come a long way. I still tend to prefer Debian (*hopes Stallman isn't lurking*), but only because I'm so familiar with the underpinnings of the package format and enjoy its unencumbered philosophy. That same philosophy has handcuffed me at times, but I've gotten used to it and have done my share of copyright assignments as well.

How is OpenSUSE working out? I've known a few people that liked it, but they couldn't spell out what the basis for their preference was (aside from using RPM as a package format).
07-30-09, 01:43 PM   #17
dystrophy
A Cyclonian
I tried in vain to get Kubuntu to run wow but it just flat out refused. Errored out every time trying to install through WINE. I really wish I could get it running though.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » YAY i finally got it working.