09-22-17, 08:02 AM   #1
catacode
A Defias Bandit
Is changing the floating combat numbers format possible?

Hi, I have been searching the net for an addon that would let me change the format of floating damage/healing numbers. For example from a number 2403453 to 2.4M. I havent been able to find such an addon, apart from MSBT which also replaces the way in which those numbers are shown on the screen. I have a bit of programing knowledge myself (mainly c++ and c) but i do not have much experience with lua or the blizzards api, so i am wondering, before i start learning lua, if it even possible to write such an addon, which would replace the format (not the font) of the numbers but keep the animations blizz like?
09-22-17, 10:12 AM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't know, but I don't think so. If it could be done, it already would have been. I think the reason is that the combat damage numbers are (and I could be wrong about this) in the C code part of the game, and (from what I understand) simply can't be messed around with. That seems to be why all the combat damage addons are the way they are.

BUT, I could be wrong about all of this (big surprise there)......

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
09-22-17, 12:05 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The floating combat text is actually part of the game world, which is not accessible to addons. You can override the font, as the font object it uses is defined in the UI files along with the other font objects, but you cannot alter them in any way beyond that. This is why MSBT, SCT, etc. all replace the text. The only way to imitate the default behavior (of its position relative to the unit) is to have your replacement text anchored to nameplates. People have tried this before. It's a little heavier resource-wise, and isn't 100% the same. And you need nameplates turned on.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-22-17, 01:10 PM   #4
catacode
A Defias Bandit
Oh well... thanks for the replies guys I gues ill just make a suggestion post to blizz so that maybe sometime in the far future they might add this as an option themselves :/
09-22-17, 02:11 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So, I WAS wrong. Imagine that. Thanks for clearing that up Seerah!

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
09-22-17, 03:41 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, technically, they are C-side.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-22-17, 04:58 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Woah ... So, I was partially right? I'LL TAKE IT!

Thank you Seerah. ��(YES, I'm THAT desperate!)

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-23-17 at 07:32 AM. Reason: more blah blah blah.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Is changing the floating combat numbers format possible?