12-02-17, 11:03 PM   #1
Ghallandir
A Defias Bandit
Get terrain information

Hi,

Is it possible to get information about a terrain (ex. grass, water, forest, etc) knowing the coordinate of a map?

I want to work on certain effects depending on the player location terrain but could not find a way to retrieve it.

If it is not possible directly, is it possible to consult a external db (like wowhead)? Or even get information about the texture of a certain location (I have seen that some addons seem to be able to hide some texture information).

Thanks in advance! =)
12-02-17, 11:55 PM   #2
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is very limited functionality for this through IsSubmerged() and IsSwimming(), but that only covers cases where you are standing in puddles of water or are swimming in water. Otherwise you'd likely have to build your own database of locations, but I'd be glad to be proved wrong.
12-03-17, 04:08 PM   #3
Ghallandir
A Defias Bandit
Hey, the "isSubmerged()" already helps me a lot because part of the functions I would like to run are related to "gathering" water from pools of water and stuff.

But I would love to know about other ways to achieving it and getting extra information about the environment.

If I was to create this database, what kind of information I might get? Is there a way I could draw areas in a wow terrain map and get the shapes coordinates later?

Thanks!
12-04-17, 06:22 AM   #4
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Only the 2D (Interface) is available for AddOns. 3D is not.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Get terrain information