01-16-06, 03:11 PM   #1
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Talking Zuxana's Model Citizen

Zuxana's Model Citizen is a 3D model add-on for replacing the 2D portraits.

This is my first add-on and it was named after Zuxana, my tauren warrior on Bleeding Hollow, because she rarely gets a chance to see your faces since you're always running away in fear! Mwuahaha!

Current Status
Version 0.9.3

I had a bug in my code that prevented anything other than the player model to save camera adjustments. (whoops.) That has been fixed so now all cameras should save adjustments properly. There is still an unresolved issue concerning targeting models of differing sizes. The current WoW API does not, as far as I know, provide me with a way to compensate for different model sizes. I will be thinking creatively to at least alleviate this issue, but be aware that there's not much I can do other than catalogue every single model in the game and offset their size (which I'm not going to do because I'm not insane and you want your computer memory spent elsewhere).

Stuff That Works
If you want a feature added, check the planned features section and if it is not listed there then let me know!
  • 6 preset cameras for Player, Target, and each Party Member.
  • Mouse-adjustable model rotation, placement, and size.
  • Mouse-adjustable bounding box placement and size.
  • Each camera receives and saves adjustments individually.
  • Auto-detects when a model is close enough to render.

Stuff That's Broken
If you know something that is not listed here, let me know!! I'm open to suggestion on how to handle these problems.
  • Unable to compensate for differing model sizes. Adjusting the camera to be shoulders up on a small model will turn into a knee cap cam for a large model.
  • Occaisionally the player model requires changing targets before it will render.
  • [0.9.3 fixed:] Camera settings revert to default, with the exception of rotation (?), when model changes.
  • [0.9.2 fixed:] Shape shifting models, such as druid forms or polymorphed mobs, don't update at all.
  • [0.9.2 fixed:] Changing certain gear, such as taking a guild tabard off, updates the textures but not the model causing some strange effects.
  • [0.9.2 fixed:] Zoning or suddently teleporting a long distance, such as death or mage teleportion, sometimes causes models to appear completely white.
  • [0.9.2 fixed:] The cursor control limitations on model panning need to be decreased to accomodate large models such as dragons.

Stuff That's On The Drawing Board
These are planned features. This is stuff that I will get to when I can although some of the bug fixes take a higher priority.
  • Add/remove cameras as desired (add pets, remove party members, etc)
  • Configuration menu
  • Configurable mouse bindings.
  • Model animation options.
  • Model lighting options.
  • Adjustments via scrollwheel.

MAJOR REVISION IN THE WORKS:
    After a lot of feedback and personal review, I've decided to rewrite this mod from the
    ground up with a new approach that will ultimately benefit everyone many times over.
    The next revision will be a much more object-oriented approach, will require Ace, and
    will split this AddOn into two components: a model generating platform and an addon that
    uses the platform to add/remove models for different model types.

My initial plans for the platform will be to emulate everything currently within Model Citizen. Currently I'm close to completing that portion of it. Since it would be meaningless to release an update with no apparent changes (only backend changes), I won't release the revision until some new features have been added to the other component.

"ModelCitizen" will be the platform for handling 3d models while "ZuxanaModelCitizen" will be my own implementation based on that platform. This makes it much easier for other addon authors to incorporate 3d models into their mods.

Also, performance should see a boost. Sorry for the delay from the last update to the forthcoming revision, it's coming as soon as I can get it finished.

Can I get your DUF_Custom?
Of course! You can get it here.

Thanks to WoW Interface for hosting this.

Last edited by Xageroth : 02-15-06 at 02:09 AM.
01-16-06, 03:45 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Xageroth, our pleasure. And may I commend you - it's a nice addon, and this is how a release thread should look.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-17-06, 11:44 AM   #3
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
This is in referance to my post in the other forum , yes disabling your mod makes the problems I was having go away. I am not sure why or how it affects the auto reply or party quest but it does. Of note, I use UUI mod. When I speak of the party quest problem I am refering to the one included with UUI. If I use party quest it's self then I have no problem. Wish I could explain a little bit better then that. All I know is when I disable your mod all the problems go away.
01-17-06, 01:02 PM   #4
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
I'm not going to be able to fix that because I can't duplicate the bug. My 'R' key still works fine. I have a hunch that the clicking problems may have to do with the placement of your bounding box.

Sorry, I wish I was more help, but unless someone can tell me how to duplicate the bug or explain why my mod would be messing up auto-reply, I wouldn't know where to look in my code to fix it. My mod doesn't do any keybindings. It only looks for CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT when the mouse is being held down on the bounding box.
01-17-06, 01:24 PM   #5
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
ya totally understand what you mean. All i can do maybe is turn off all my other addons and only try yours and see if the problem still exists. Then turn them on one at a time till I find the culprit. I'll keep working on it and see what I come up with. Also, the ghosting...sometimes if a player gets booted or goes out of range thier model turns to all white. SOmetimes just getting near the person again or them logging back on fixes it but not always. Only happens with party model though not target model.
01-17-06, 01:37 PM   #6
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
Found the culprit. Confab. When I disable it I have no problems with autoreply. Umm..not sure why your mod would affect confab. Not even sure it's anything you can fix but anyway thats the problem.

EDIT: one other thing i found and i think you already mentioned it being a problem was that the models once resized or changed will NOT save. Honestly, if changing the size per mob doesn't save and always resets there is little reason to have all your great features if you know what I mean. Oh and this is ONLY for the target model not party or self. Not tried self but little point since that model never seems to change.

Last edited by aceracer24 : 01-17-06 at 01:40 PM.
01-20-06, 02:04 AM   #7
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
Just giving a heads up, playing several hours today I noticed some general quirkiness with the cameras. Models disappearing momentarily, models zooming in far past the camera, etc.

It's difficult nailing some of these issues down so if you're experiencing them know that you're not going crazy. It's not just you.

With that said I think these issues are infrequent enough to begin working towards a 1.0 release. Here is what I have planned for a 1.0 release:

Configuration Menu which will:
  • Allow adding/removing cameras.
  • Changing the unit type (player, target, pet)
  • Changing the mouse bindings (or unbinding the mouse completely for click-thru)
  • Force refresh or reset a camera.
  • Set a camera to be fixed rather than free-movement.

Profile Management which will:
  • Let you save all bounding boxes to an account-wide profile
  • Copy settings from one character to another
  • Save camera settings and share them across multiple bounding boxes

As anyone who has looked at the code can tell, much of that is already in place it's just being hacked out at the moment.

I am toying with the idea of having a seperate add-on which will catalogue your camera settings for each model. This way those who have the memory to devote towards such a thing can have the mod remember their camera settings for each model, while those that don't care for that level of detail can disable the secondary add-on and it will function as it has. I'm not commited to this idea yet, tho. I'll revisit it at some point.
01-20-06, 05:37 AM   #8
Hellslayer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Very nice i love this mod!
01-20-06, 09:08 AM   #9
aceracer24
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Xageroth
Just giving a heads up, playing several hours today I noticed some general quirkiness with the cameras. Models disappearing momentarily, models zooming in far past the camera, etc.

Yes, I am having that problem but figured it was mostly because of the older b release. I still can't get the .3 release to work because the model is either not there or out of range. I've tried everything but gave up until you made some more changes. Great mod though all teh same and looking forward to the menu. TOTALLY love the idea of the seperate addon to save per model settings. That would be fantastic.
01-20-06, 05:46 PM   #10
waxpants
A Defias Bandit
I've switched to Zuxana's portraits from Neebler's just recently and I got to thinking about the problem Zuxnana's has with different size models in the target frame.

Neebler's does not have this problem (though it has a host of it's own) and i was thinking the answer might lie in the code that Neebler uses. I haven't looked at it of course, because I don't understand such things but Neebler's always gives you a nice insert of the head and shoulders of the target no matter what size it is.

Maybe it's because Neebler somehow targets the face of the model instead of the overall midpoint of the model. If you were able to do that it would solve the model size problem, at least for those who just want to use a head and shoulders type insert for their target frames.

Anyways, I'm enjoying your mod Xageroth. Keep up the great work!
01-20-06, 10:19 PM   #11
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by waxpants
I've switched to Zuxana's portraits from Neebler's just recently and I got to thinking about the problem Zuxnana's has with different size models in the target frame.

Neebler's does not have this problem (though it has a host of it's own) and i was thinking the answer might lie in the code that Neebler uses. I haven't looked at it of course, because I don't understand such things but Neebler's always gives you a nice insert of the head and shoulders of the target no matter what size it is.

Maybe it's because Neebler somehow targets the face of the model instead of the overall midpoint of the model. If you were able to do that it would solve the model size problem, at least for those who just want to use a head and shoulders type insert for their target frames.

You are describing the fixed camera code which the WoW API provides. The plus side is that it is more reliable (except for some models such as boss mobs). The negative is that you can not manipulate the model as you can with this mod.

As I mentioned, fixed camera positioning will be available as an option later down the road.
01-21-06, 04:00 AM   #12
Hellslayer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by waxpants

neebler use a pre saved camera option so you cant have other camera positions, this pre saved camera dont works with all units.
01-21-06, 08:30 AM   #13
RobTheBob
A Defias Bandit
Neebler is using fixed camera angles, it doesn't allow you to change the zoom, angle or position of the camera. He is using camera angle 0 (looks like this in the code myModelFrame_Model:SetCamera(0)).

Xageroth, really looking forward to the 1.0 release. If I would like to set a fixed angle for the target model already now where in the code shouls I stick the :SetCamera(0) call?

Edit: Haha, 3 people answer Waxpants question all at the same time
01-21-06, 11:32 AM   #14
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by RobTheBob
If I would like to set a fixed angle for the target model already now where in the code shouls I stick the :SetCamera(0) call?
When I tested SetCamera it seemed that once it was called on a Model frame, not even a ClearModel() would unset the camera. So it probably doesn't matter where you put it, but I would suggest Avatar.lua line 14:

Replace: ModelCitizen_Settings_RefreshCamera(avatar);
With: avatar:SetCamera(0);

By the way, it looks like after the next WoW patch Model Citizen can be made to have unlimited cameras. So if you want 50 or 60 copies of yourself from every angle, I guess that's useful. :P
02-07-06, 03:15 PM   #15
Rastaah
Premium Member
Premium Member
Id just like to ask when we can remove party potraits, it clutters my screen...thanks!!

Great job, just wondering, going to wait to use it til then. Or is there a way to hide it now that I missed?
02-07-06, 03:39 PM   #16
dafire
Premium Member
You can already remove the party pics, but not change it during runtime.. I think it was in this thread earlier by changing the camera count from 6 to 2 somewhere

I could put up my current database but it only contents german mob names
09-13-07, 09:50 PM   #17
Alfrunnah
A Kobold Labourer
I dunno if this is one of the problems thats been fixed or not, and its just something I've got goin on. Only on my target frame, when set to portrait mode, does the model always revert back to full model. It always starts as portrait... then reverts back to full model, can't seem to figure out why. I see 0.9.3 was supposed to fix something in relation to models reverting or w/e but I'm not sure if this is that issue or another one similar. If I refresh it by right clicking after it has reverted to full model it'll reset back to portrait and stay that way. Its just kinda annoying to have to right click all the time

Last edited by Alfrunnah : 09-13-07 at 09:53 PM.
09-14-07, 03:09 AM   #18
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Alfrunnah
I dunno if this is one of the problems thats been fixed or not, and its just something I've got goin on. Only on my target frame, when set to portrait mode, does the model always revert back to full model. It always starts as portrait... then reverts back to full model, can't seem to figure out why. I see 0.9.3 was supposed to fix something in relation to models reverting or w/e but I'm not sure if this is that issue or another one similar. If I refresh it by right clicking after it has reverted to full model it'll reset back to portrait and stay that way. Its just kinda annoying to have to right click all the time
ZMC 0.9.3 is the last update for the "old" ZMC. I say "old" as this mod has been picked up by a new author and is now called ZMobDB. This the includes the updated ZMC plus a data base of character models and some additional config options. Check it out here at: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Advanced4.html
04-03-06, 06:11 AM   #19
Vugluskr
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Xageroth
have same problems. in 40 men raid portraits blinks 1 time per second. when fight only.
04-06-06, 10:17 AM   #20
beung
A Kobold Labourer
Great mod, I only have 2 questions?

How can I disable the portrait of myself? I would like it so I don't render my character's portrait.

How can I get my target's target portrait? When I click on some one everything comes up fine but I would like to render the target that my target has targeted. I can get the unit frame to come up but there is never a portrait rendered for that target. There are other add-ons that give the default icon on the target's target frame, is this possible with Zuxana's?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Zuxana's Model Citizen