03-16-09, 08:06 AM   #1
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Question releasing interface ...

... question.

well, I wonder how I should go past this.
I could always just do a .rar with my addons and take a printscreen and show how I set it up.

but as I done some eepanels settings etc. and that kinda is the 'thing' and layout with the UI I wonder how I best export these and everything else so another person can d/l it and use it 'out of the .rar' so to speak.

thanks
03-16-09, 08:19 AM   #2
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Here's a relative thread that gives better discussion than I could describe in a single reply. An instructional thread for your topic.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ghlight=upload
03-16-09, 08:27 AM   #3
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
thanks, I was looking for a tutorial thread but never found one.
guess I didn't look all to hard =/
03-16-09, 08:40 AM   #4
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by aretziel View Post
thanks, I was looking for a tutorial thread but never found one.
guess I didn't look all to hard =/

I just knew where to look. It was on the 2nd page of my search results . You would've been reading awhile if using the search perameters "how to upload". Probably not a bad idea to create a sticky tut, but that kills the fun of trial and error.

As an aside, the 'only" types allowed are .zip and .rar. I saw someone had posted another format in that thread, I'm not sure it would be allowed.
03-16-09, 09:30 AM   #5
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
ah, thank you ...

guess the most common format is .zip and .rar but the .tar and .7z is rather common as well.

but well =) thanks =)
03-16-09, 10:16 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
ah, thank you ...

guess the most common format is .zip and .rar but the .tar and .7z is rather common as well.

but well =) thanks =)
.tar is only common among Unix based OSes such as GNU/Linux (on which distros such as Ubuntu is built on). However .tar is rarely used in the Windows/Mac world. The only time I ever see Tar files is when I am grabbing stuff off of KDE-Look.org. .7z in my IMHO is the best archive format, however again its usage is limited as support for it is NOT built into most of the popular file compression/unpacking utilities.

The two most wide spread (and about 95% of the downloads I see outside of executable files) are Zip and Rar. If you want the most widely used format, then pack your file as a .zip file. Support for Zip is baked directly into most OSes (even if the Windows zip support is not the best, its there and it's what most users will use). Rar will require users to download a utility that supports Rar (almost all third party Zip utilities have Rar support).

Regarding packing up your compliations, I should steal my old post from when I was an active poster over at ui.worldofwar.net.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-16-09 at 10:20 AM.
03-17-09, 07:20 AM   #7
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Regarding packing up your compliations, I should steal my old post from when I was an active poster over at ui.worldofwar.net.
I saw a post you made here last night =)
will check it again as I was heading for bed when I found it and it was like 6am =))
03-17-09, 08:00 AM   #8
Dyspeptic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Annother tip for getting an "out of the box" feel is to use a mod called Reflux.
DemigodUI Is an example of a Ui using this 1step setup mod.
Reflux can be found Here.
03-17-09, 09:09 AM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I saw a post you made here last night =)
will check it again as I was heading for bed when I found it and it was like 6am =))
Yah, that was my "stealing my old post". However I expanded on it considerably and now its up for those who need it. Have fun!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » releasing interface ...