06-01-07, 11:52 AM   #21
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The editors probably just thought it was an acronym that you spell out, like A.D.D. You don't read it as "add", you read it as "a-d-d". Just goes to show that they didn't know what you were talking about. I wonder if they do stuff like that for scientific publications?

In any case, I'd alert the publisher in case they can fix it for future printings...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-01-07, 11:54 AM   #22
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Razark
Actually, I wrote it, but they changed it! From my original on Mar. 22:

"Rearrange everything onscreen and monitor your vitals with a HUD"
Hehe I think I remember seeing this change :P
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
06-01-07, 12:18 PM   #23
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Cladhaire
We didn't write it.. blame the publisher =)
This is Clad's excuse for everything... "I didn't write that ****" *eyeroll*
06-01-07, 12:25 PM   #24
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Convenience says I
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
06-01-07, 12:49 PM   #25
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

In case your local store does not carry it, both BN & Borders can & will order the book for you free of charge and *should* let you read the book before you purchase said item if you wish to do so. If you really want to get some stock into your local store, then ask them to (this is somewhat insider info, for BN at least) SHORTLIST a few copies and place them in both the computing section AND the game section near the WOW strategy guides. If either actually learned from their gamer oriented employees, this title would could do extremely well. I hope it does so regardless.

-Former BN employee.
06-01-07, 05:19 PM   #26
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

My Border's didn't have it yet - their system said "Not Yet Published".

I will be on the West coast next week - I'll check out there - looking forward to reading this - and handing over my few $ in support of a couple of great Mod Authors.
06-01-07, 05:19 PM   #27
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Its been shipped, should be in stores next week as far as we know.
06-04-07, 12:21 PM   #28
Tenson
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Cladhaire
Hehe I think I remember seeing this change :P
I'm confused, and this will continue to bother me until I figure it out.

If "an" is used for "vowel sounds", shouldn't it be "an HUD" if it's sounded out "H-U-D"?

I was think that we would say, "The score was 'an' 8 out of 10."

Since "8 [āt]" and "H [āch]" both have the ā sound, it would be proper to use "AN", right?

-edit-
Does this book contain an in-depth guide on LUA and API?

I'm interested in learning LUA mostly to simplify my addons folder, but wowwiki can be overwhelming to read. A book on LUA and API would help tremendously.

On second thought, I think there are LUA books out there. Maybe this guidebook uses an existing addon as an example? It's always better to learn by example. (aka copy/paste )

Last edited by Tenson : 06-04-07 at 12:23 PM.
06-04-07, 12:31 PM   #29
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Tenson
Does this book contain an in-depth guide on LUA and API?
Such a guide would be out of date the second it was submitted to the publisher. Instead the books shows you where you can go for help, documentation, and assistance.

I'm interested in learning LUA mostly to simplify my addons folder, but wowwiki can be overwhelming to read. A book on LUA and API would help tremendously.
Again, yes it would, but its (quite literally) impossible to have something more comprehensive than the Wiki, and the code that is used in the default UI

On second thought, I think there are LUA books out there. Maybe this guidebook uses an existing addon as an example? It's always better to learn by example. (aka copy/paste )
Not entirely. The first two addon writing chapters create an addon entirely from scratch, giving you building blocks that culminate in a really nice concise addons. The third "writing addons" chapter, takes the code from the default UI (the TargetofTarget frame) and uses it (and its artwork) to create a completely seperate unit frame for the "focus" unit. In the second addons case, you are learning from the Blizzard code (the best documentation we have), and altering it specifically for your needs.
06-04-07, 04:25 PM   #30
Razark
A Murloc Raider

I think you should check it out. The second half of the book is basically written for people in your situation. You should see if you can find it in a Barnes and Noble or Borders and skim through some of it to see if it seems like what you're looking for.

Yes, there are LUA books out there, but there aren't any written with the WoW API in mind, and the API is certainly more than half the battle. Granted this isn't a WoW API reference book (that's basically what WoWWiki is for), but it will certainly get your feet wet, and will probably be a whole lot better than sorting through lists of API calls and event names.

Oh, and I think it would "a HUD" and "an H-U-D"...
06-04-07, 05:50 PM   #31
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm confused, and this will continue to bother me until I figure it out.

If "an" is used for "vowel sounds", shouldn't it be "an HUD" if it's sounded out "H-U-D"?

I was think that we would say, "The score was 'an' 8 out of 10."

Since "8 [āt]" and "H [āch]" both have the ā sound, it would be proper to use "AN", right?
didn't I just explain that?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-04-07, 09:56 PM   #32
epitome
Premium Member
Even if it is spelt out as "H-U-D" it is still "a H-U-D" not "an H-U-D".

The problem you see is that you guys over there in America pronouce the letter "H" in a slang way.

Phonetically the letter "H" should be pronounced "Hay-ch" not "Ay-ch"

You tend to treat the letter "H" as a silent letter even in pronunciation.

Small thing, don't lose sleep over it

Gonna buy the book myself online, grats again and hope it sells well.
06-04-07, 11:04 PM   #33
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
it's American english, not slang And it depends on the word. Actually... I would still say "a hemophiliac" instead of "an hemophiliac" (sorry, first word to come to mind ). Sorry for hijacking the thread.

06-05-07, 02:24 PM   #34
GreatStalin
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by epitome
Even if it is spelt out as "H-U-D" it is still "a H-U-D" not "an H-U-D".

The problem you see is that you guys over there in America pronouce the letter "H" in a slang way.

Phonetically the letter "H" should be pronounced "Hay-ch" not "Ay-ch"

You tend to treat the letter "H" as a silent letter even in pronunciation.

Small thing, don't lose sleep over it

Gonna buy the book myself online, grats again and hope it sells well.
Hi old chap!

I speak Queen's English, yet, something in your postings bothers me. You seem to make the claim that we pronounce it as 'Hay-ch', yet I find that this is not so! I have fond memories of English lessons at school where often children would mispronounce it and be told that it is said 'ay-ch' instead.

A quick search got this:

Its name in English is aitch (or eitch) [eɪtʃ]; haitch [heɪtʃ] is a typically Irish and Indian pronunciation.

It's not slang, it's correct Queen's English, and American English too, perhaps?
06-08-07, 01:45 PM   #35
epitome
Premium Member
Originally Posted by GreatStalin
haitch [heɪtʃ] is a typically Irish and Indian pronunciation.[/i]
Well there you go then, I'm Irish, explains it all

Same way we pronouce "Z" here as "Zee" not "Zed"

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead (couldn't resist sorry).
06-08-07, 01:54 PM   #36
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I always found 'zed' sexy, prolly just cause it's a canadien thing.
06-08-07, 11:56 PM   #37
Gazmik
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Congrats to Cladhaire and Razark on breaking into the dead-tree business! I'll have to pick up a copy to show support for my fellow tinkerers... if only the vendors here at Area 52 carried books...
06-09-07, 11:52 AM   #38
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

the borders near me still doesn't have this...

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-09-07, 11:57 AM   #39
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
Thumbs up I just don't know, I am a little let down.

The books seems to spend too much time on using existing addons, writing /command macros and not enough time with the actual process of addon 'hacking.'
I did read about some interesting addons, however the book simply needs more(?).
For example, I feel that the book would have been much better if it had added an Appendix listing the entire API scripting commands available at the time.
Another sad thing is that they failed to mention that the editor, SciTE-WoWInterface is Windows only , the authors took great care to mention box compatibility when they discussed the other editors. I hope that a version for the Mac can be developed; the API reference would be very nice indeed. Currently I am forced to use BBEDit and Smultron.
Over all the book is a nice effort and the above comments are meant to be constructive in nature. A book like this has been a long time in coming and I am grateful for it. It is a wonderful start, and I hope that a more complete, dare I say "geeky" revision is not long in showing up.
Thank you gentlemen for authoring this book!

Last edited by trav : 06-09-07 at 11:59 AM.
06-09-07, 12:02 PM   #40
trav
Premium Member

Premium Member
Mr. Gazmik, where did you go? I know you mentioned that you are moving servers, but I can't seem to get to your new site.

Originally Posted by Gazmik
Congrats to Cladhaire and Razark on breaking into the dead-tree business! I'll have to pick up a copy to show support for my fellow tinkerers... if only the vendors here at Area 52 carried books...

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Hacking World of Warcraft