08-31-12, 02:05 AM   #281
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Be very very careful in how you approach this, given that Carbonite is (for all intents and purposes) ARR licensed.
That's the Problem with Carbonite

This Licence would be better:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

08-31-12, 06:44 AM   #282
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Balthizar, no. Just, no. I'm sorry, but you are just incorrect in your interpretations. AddOns are the intellectual property of their creators and they are automatically copyright protected to the author at the moment of their creation. The author may use any license they like, Blizzard has no say in the matter.
Originally Posted by Balthizar View Post
Cairenn, I appreciate your input on this matter but fail to understand from what legal ground these authors maintain these intellectual rights. I will research further into United States copyright and contract law to see if I can confirm your statements, because I personally don't care if I am right. I am odd that way I guess. I would much rather collect and provide accurate information than maintain an incorrect opinion.

Anyone reading this: if you happen to be a lawyer or judge or copyright professional I would really like your expertise in this!

Some people are unaware that Wow Interface is an official World of Warcraft fan site. Only Blizzard Entertainment can award such a thing. I can assure you, if Blizzard had any type of an issue with the copyright licenses included in the addons here, they would of said something directly to Cairenn years ago. I can also assure you that Cairenn would never ever allow anything here that went against Blizzard Entertainments Terms of Use, Acceptable Use Policy, End User License Agreement, or Addon Policies.

When it comes to keeping things here at WowI on the level and legally within Blizzards terms, Cairenn is... well, she's G like that.

08-31-12, 07:33 AM   #283
rayo4444
A Murloc Raider
Another map bug

Hi, guess you want reports on bugs, so I found another one.

Say I am outside a town, when I zoom to, say, Ironforge I cant get the city map to appear.
The same is for the other cities and I guess everything that uses that kind of maps. So for Stormwind I cant see the map either, if I am not in the city, this makes it difficult to check boat routes etc.

Again thanks for all your work Rythal!!

08-31-12, 07:50 AM   #284
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Town maps, that's surprising ... it should pop up the town map as soon as you hover over it on the map. At least it was for me last time I checked but i'll look into it.

Party members on map ... i'm not surprised this broke, blizzard redid and renamed how you tell whose in your group / raid, and that actually was the main error everyone trying to use the 4.3 version was having pop up / halt the entire addon. I had hoped just using the new functions would let it work, but appears not so i'll look into it.

I can't promise an update tonight, remains to be seen how things go but since 5.0 came live i've only been getting 3-4 hours sleep every night as i'd get lost in the code trying to fix the little things that have been repaired so far and lose track of time so I want to get a good nights sleep then start tackling everything.

08-31-12, 07:53 AM   #285
Reddsonja
A Fallenroot Satyr
You get some sleep man, you deserve it!

08-31-12, 08:25 AM   #286
hatori1181
A Murloc Raider
Hello. I noticed something after I grabbed the update and I made an account because it's driving me crazy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't know what that circle around my character is, but it's a different graphic than the rest of the map. The only other map add-on I have is NPCscan, and it never caused an issue before. I realize it's a small issue, but it is driving me freaking nuts. If anyone knows what's causing this, whether it's a setting I need to change or what. I just want that circle around my character to not be there.

Thanks for all the hard work on updating this add-on. Here's hoping there's some official word so that we know what to expect one way or the other.

08-31-12, 08:52 AM   #287
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by hatori1181 View Post
Hello. I noticed something after I grabbed the update and I made an account because it's driving me crazy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't know what that circle around my character is, but it's a different graphic than the rest of the map. The only other map add-on I have is NPCscan, and it never caused an issue before. I realize it's a small issue, but it is driving me freaking nuts. If anyone knows what's causing this, whether it's a setting I need to change or what. I just want that circle around my character to not be there.

Thanks for all the hard work on updating this add-on. Here's hoping there's some official word so that we know what to expect one way or the other.
I can tell you exactly what's causing it the circle was always there, just before it was transparent so you saw both maps combined, or it was fully transparent and you saw nothing at all. On the beta servers, it couldn't be transparent or it ended up being a big black circle on your map. I haven't had a chance to try allowing transparency again to see if that problem moved to live or not, but until a work around is found, or testing can be done on it again (ment to test it last night actually :/ but got caught up in trying to figure out why abandoning quests doesn't update the map).

08-31-12, 08:53 AM   #288
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I do apologize to you all for not being the fastest at getting some things fixed and patched, but the truth is I'm just as lost as most the rest of you, I cleaned up the code to make it readable (i'm sure some of you have looked and noticed that), but 99% of the functions and variables are in short form.

Because i'm not the original author I don't know the exact flow everything takes as it works it's way through the script. nor do I know what all the functions they've created do. There is around 28000 lines of code to this addon, that's a lot to read and learn, especially when it's broken apart (example: not all the quest stuff is in one spot, one Que function could be on line 600, the next on 18300, the next on 26000). I eventually find where things went wrong through trial and error, and from that i'm also learning some of the paths things take.

Right now the exact way of fixing something broken is.. find an area/function in the script that looks like it has to do with it, toss in a Print("Hiyaaaaaa") or something similar.... reload UI... see if said message shows up, if it does, narrow down even more... when narrowed down, fix problem.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the bugs that are cropping up, I just want you all to understand why when bugs are found, it's not fixed within the next few hours like other addons.

I've been fighting the entire idea of just restarting from scratch, starting with the map, then in a modular way add back what people want / need, mostly because I know the amount of work it would be... and I know myself personally if someone else map Carb2.0 I wouldn't use it, just relying on the old buggy one instead because it's been reliable to me over the years, and i'm sure lots of other's feel the same way. But more and more it's starting to sound like the best idea, so much has changed over the years we've been enjoying carbonite and unfortunately while it always worked, a lot of it was just bandages to the main things people use (like others have mentioned some of it has been broken since wrath).

I still have not made any decisions one way or the other, just as we still have no idea if i'll even been allowed to continue working on carbonite.. but I just wanted you to know it is a thought in my head since people keep suggesting it.

Last edited by Rythal : 08-31-12 at 09:07 AM.

08-31-12, 08:58 AM   #289
lorigio
A Murloc Raider
I'm working on italian translation

08-31-12, 09:08 AM   #290
hatori1181
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I can tell you exactly what's causing it the circle was always there, just before it was transparent so you saw both maps combined, or it was fully transparent and you saw nothing at all. On the beta servers, it couldn't be transparent or it ended up being a big black circle on your map. I haven't had a chance to try allowing transparency again to see if that problem moved to live or not, but until a work around is found, or testing can be done on it again (ment to test it last night actually :/ but got caught up in trying to figure out why abandoning quests doesn't update the map).
AHA! Well, keep up the excellent work. I'm hardly a programmer, but my dad was, and I know how hard it must be to work backwards through the code. Do your best, but don't kill yourself. At the end of the day, it's just an add-on for a game. Do it because you want to, not because you feel you have to.

08-31-12, 09:36 AM   #291
tabeecat
A Defias Bandit
i've been following along and have been rooting for you Rythal. i wanted to toss my opinion in. when blizzard made the authors quit charging for this addon, they basically jumped ship. it was all about the money. this is, in my opinion, why the script became so buggy. the few left have just put bandages on instead of reworking the whole thing. yes there is a section for donaters but i think that was there to grab some more funds as they were jumping ship. mind you this is all my opinion.

now if indeed there is work being done, and there is an author lurking, i would suggest you grab rythal quick and get him on your team and at least let people know you are working on things because frankly your behaviors are just rude right now. if one of my kids were on the team and i found out you were being rude, i would first tan your hide and then ban you from all electronics except working solely on this addon until it was fixed properly and you had apologized to everybody here. so please get your act together and quit being rude!!!!

that's my opinion and sorry all for the rant

08-31-12, 10:01 AM   #292
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by tabeecat View Post
if one of my kids were on the team and i found out you were being rude, i would first tan your hide and then ban you from all electronics except working solely on this addon until it was fixed properly and you had apologized to everybody here. so please get your act together and quit being rude!!!!

that's my opinion and sorry all for the rant
First off, how is your hide? If I were an add-on author who read what you just typed and have been giving my time into an add-on I used to get paid to create and maintain and now continued to do it out of my own free time and will. I would seriously think about releasing a new version, obfuscated so horribly and meant to break after a few weeks later when 99%+ of the people had deleted the old copies - and then pull the old script entirely. Nothing worse than hypocritical demanding little brats.

If the Carbonite team do decide to abandon their project, they have every right and I would sincerely thank them for the many years they made WoW so much easier to bare. While I will be saddened, it will then be open for others to attempt to make one like it (easier to "recreate" the wheel than to have originally created) or update what they decide to release to the community.

08-31-12, 10:08 AM   #293
Darksol
A Defias Bandit
Awesome

Just made an account here so I could thank you Rythal, the work you've done is amazing.

While I'm here, I'm not sure if anyone had mentioned it but for some reason the flash that goes onto the node spots for herbs/mining/whatever else is also affecting all other tracking objects like store icons and such.

I really like the flash but it's kinda bugging me when it does it to other icons. Not a big deal but a fix on that would be appreciated!

Thanks a again for all your work, I hope you get proper credit for all this.

08-31-12, 11:07 AM   #294
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
If the Carbonite team do decide to abandon their project, they have every right and I would sincerely thank them for the many years they made WoW so much easier to bare. While I will be saddened, it will then be open for others to attempt to make one like it (easier to "recreate" the wheel than to have originally created) or update what they decide to release to the community.
While I have been trying to be one of the huge supporters of The developers and the work they have done, I can also understand why people are so mad / angry. The addon went free sure, but they also pushed for donations even including the voting mechanism, every dollar you donate counts as 1 vote.... Look at that list of things to vote for, how many got added.... none. So either no one ever donated (extremely unlikely) or it didn't matter, so long as the donations kept coming in they'd continue bandaging the broken code.

08-31-12, 11:18 AM   #295
jarda128
A Cyclonian

[IMG][/IMG]

I have got sme issue but i select option do not integrate minimap into carbonite and same with minmap buttons ... i use sexy map fro minmap and minimap button frame on buttons ...

08-31-12, 11:42 AM   #296
Malkierii
A Kobold Labourer
Thanks... seriously... thanks.

For so long I have relied on Carbonite for mapping and gathering and for so many other things... I actually created an account with wowinterface simply to thank you for all your hard work in updating this addon for use with current patch.

08-31-12, 12:27 PM   #297
hatori1181
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jarda128 View Post
I have got sme issue but i select option do not integrate minimap into carbonite and same with minmap buttons ... i use sexy map fro minmap and minimap button frame on buttons ...
HAHAHA! Brilliant. I think this explains the issue. by moving the minimap into the carbonite minimap, it's trying to display both at the same time.

08-31-12, 12:59 PM   #298
jarda128
A Cyclonian
HAHAHA! Brilliant. I think this explains the issue. by moving the minimap into the carbonite minimap, it's trying to display both at the same time.
Sry i m not good at english ... It was irony ?
I think circle around you,it is minimap ....
So when you choose doesnt move minimap into carbonite map .. it will be not be shown
but maybe i m wrong ....
When i try to enable moving minimap in carbonite it is not reproducable so maybe i m really wrong

08-31-12, 01:21 PM   #299
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by jarda128 View Post
Sry i m not good at english ... It was irony ?
I think circle around you,it is minimap ....
So when you choose doesnt move minimap into carbonite map .. it will be not be shown
but maybe i m wrong ....
When i try to enable moving minimap in carbonite it is not reproducable so maybe i m really wrong
No, you are 100% right, that circle is the minimap and if you tell carbonite to not move the minimap into the map it goes away.

08-31-12, 04:10 PM   #300
tabeecat
A Defias Bandit
yes it is ok for developers to jump ship, 'specially since it is now a labor of love. world of warcraft is indeed just a game and real life does come first and if they move onto other things, well that's the way it goes.

the part i am upset about is if they are lurking and working on something and not telling us they are. they need to open their mouths and say something. if they are lurking and not saying something, and letting rythal work his tail off, that is wrong.

also, people here have said they have donated and have gotten no response. taking people's money and not even throwing a bone out is what i consider rude. so i told them i thought they were rude.

for the record, things work fine on this addon for me since rythal fixed them. i am happy about it all and grateful to the original developers for making it and very grateful for rythal for fixing it. still think that if the developers are just lurking at this point while working on things, that is rude.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Will Carbonite be updated for MOP?