03-31-10, 05:12 PM   #21
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Out of curiosity, did you perchance get a message when you logged in, telling you that someone else had tried to access your account and it then directed you to a page to change your info? I ask because of this scam currently going on.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
03-31-10, 05:23 PM   #22
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
As a PhD, you should probably know this, but Correlation does not imply Causation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla..._not_causation

I would guess there's only a slightly higher chance that Minion is the cause of your hack than there is of pirate depopulation being the cause of global climate change.

Yarr.
03-31-10, 05:24 PM   #23
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

april fools?
03-31-10, 05:25 PM   #24
quasipolymath
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Out of curiosity, did you perchance get a message when you logged in, telling you that someone else had tried to access your account and it then directed you to a page to change your info? I ask because of this scam currently going on.
Nope, I just tried to log in and check auctions this morning and couldn't log in. I went to battle.net and my password had been changed. After I changed it back, I tried to log in and was notified that my account was on a temporary ban. I asked my friend to log in and boot all of my characters from our guild as a defensive measure. When he did, he saw that every one of my characters had been logged in as recently as 6 am. Checking my spam folder, I saw that a password reset occurred on my battle.net account at around 4 am. That, and I still haven't gotten a notification from Blizzard about the ban. It's weird.
03-31-10, 05:39 PM   #25
quasipolymath
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
As a PhD, you should probably know this, but Correlation does not imply Causation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correla..._not_causation

I would guess there's only a slightly higher chance that Minion is the cause of your hack than there is of pirate depopulation being the cause of global climate change.

Yarr.
While you are technically correct (the best kind of correct), correlation can often be strong evidence of causation. There are numerous statistical means to demonstrate that one could have reason to believe that a given correlation could imply causation, or strictly, the likelihood that a given correlation could have occurred by chance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_significance

This, however, is not one of those cases. Given what I've read so far, my case is more of a pirates-global warming correlation. So, yarrrrrrrrr would be the correct response.
03-31-10, 05:41 PM   #26
quasipolymath
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by mankeluvsit View Post
april fools?
I hope so.
03-31-10, 09:18 PM   #27
Aerials
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
i've been lucky enough to never have my account hacked in the time i've been playing. it's only been since a little before 2.3 though. (few years or so). I do have an authenticator and change my password regularly though.

Good luck with your account though, I know i'd be pretty upset indeed if i were to get hacked.
03-31-10, 09:52 PM   #28
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Aerials View Post
Good luck with your account though, I know i'd be pretty upset indeed if i were to get hacked.
See thats the weird thing, I just started a GM ticket and the next day all my stuff was returned, fairly straightforward truth be told.
03-31-10, 10:05 PM   #29
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Aerials View Post
i've been lucky enough to never have my account hacked in the time i've been playing. it's only been since a little before 2.3 though. (few years or so). I do have an authenticator and change my password regularly though.

Same here. I've had an active account for nearly 5 years without a single hacking incident. When 3 of our guild officers got hacked in the same week we decided to all get authenticators to be on the safe side.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
03-31-10, 10:27 PM   #30
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Got hacked like a year ago ... first thing i did was buy an authenticator once they where available ... no problems since and prolly never will have a problem again.

Luckily all that happened was my accounts pass was changed. They did not remove anything from my characters by the time I noticed it.

Blizz was pretty good at getting my account back into my hands. Took a few days of emails.

Chances are you info was taken long before you reinstalled your OS. There was prolly a keylogger on your old OS that went unnoticed.
03-31-10, 11:30 PM   #31
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I got hacked once, and it really does suck. Luckily all they wanted to do was play on my mage (poorly, they wore a +fire dmg belt on a frost mage ).

But I earned it. I was stupid and wandered to some less reputable WoW related sites....
04-01-10, 12:31 AM   #32
Aerials
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Same here. I've had an active account for nearly 5 years without a single hacking incident. When 3 of our guild officers got hacked in the same week we decided to all get authenticators to be on the safe side.
..... we had at least one guildee get hacked per day for about 2 weeks straight in one point of time.... totally nuts, dono wtf was happening there. was the worst i've heard.... the guild bank is still on lockdown from it 4 months later lol.
04-01-10, 01:04 AM   #33
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
hehe,

i only got my account hacked once due to complete stupidity on my end :P

i had some malicious software on my computer severely slowing down my comp, with a bunch of non identifiable executables running in the background.

this made me decide to get an authenticator to be on the safe side (also ofc fresh install of windows and such), so i bought one, activated it and nothing went wrong for a few months. Then i was so stupid to leave my keys with the authenticator atached to it on my work so i called a collegue and with his help i disabled the authenticator for that evening coz i had to raid.

Raiding went fine, went to sleep and the next morning my account was banned due to a hack :P

so word of advice, even though you think your safe with an authenticator, be sure to not disable it, do it safe and dont raid, but always keep it active. Those hackers have a nose for when someone is not online and when they can login.
04-01-10, 02:57 AM   #34
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by quasipolymath View Post
Scanning with the most aggressive scan available returns nothing, as it shouldn't.
The most secure and aggressive scan is done by booting your fav
virus scanner from cd. While your operating system is active you can never
know if the system is safe.
04-01-10, 11:16 AM   #35
Jooze
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I've been Keylogged twice before. This was mainly due to me relying on IE and Norton.

IE is just one big security breach, Firefox with NoScript/ABP is quite effective.

Norton is just one big virus itself. It has never found any virus/keylogger that has been on my system, while other software like Avast, NOD32 and exspecially Malwarebytes have been able to locate them.

Also Norton uninstalled my Spotify...
04-01-10, 03:24 PM   #36
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Its all about the authenticator! now im lazy lol. I have never been hacked before though and have never suffered any major issues because of a virus other then the typical slow down after a particular OS has been online for a year or more.

I weed out virus's by hand when i do get them...

anyhow though has anyone bothered to ask if maybe you followed other msgs in your spam box that claimed to be world of warcraft? im getting 2-3 daily that are bogus msgs about my account was banned, or hacked or blah blah blah please come tell us all your information.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04-01-10, 06:25 PM   #37
SkunkWerks
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
You most certainly did not get infected by using Minion. That's a guarantee.
IncGamers swore the same thing up and down about their update client when a series of security breaches began happening to people who were using it.

The row went on for a good week or two- people insisting the client was infected, and the webmaster denying that such a thing was even possible- before someone finally verified that it was in fact, copies of the update client that were being infected at the server level that were at the root of the problem.

I'm not saying it is the case here, but there's no certainty, and no guarantee strong enough to make me want to use an update client. It's a risk, a significant risk. And no matter how upstanding your intentions, or how valiant your efforts are to minimize it, it will always be a risk.

Methinks you may be living in a fantasy land where computer security isn't always a constant game of one-upsmanship between the hackers and the software authors.
04-02-10, 06:24 AM   #38
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
While that is all true, Skunk, I would suspect Petrah's claim was based at least partially on the dearth of other reports. One data point does not make a trend.

These boards see a whole lot of "I just installed your addon and now I'm hacked". This was just another example of it, and probably the first "I just installed Minion and now I'm hacked". If there were weeks of additional data points supporting either claim, I'm sure the responsible author would pull the code down and take a closer look.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Near-instant account breach