06-22-09, 01:33 PM   #1
Izichial
A Murloc Raider
jnlp file won't run

I suspect this is purely a problem on the Java side of things but I'm looking for help here anyway (in some measure of despair). I had troubles getting the installed minion file to run (java would not run the .jar file) and re-installed Java as per the recommendation in http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24530, by uninstalling all versions of Java present in the system (Vista) and then installing normally from java.com.

Problem now is that Java now fails to run any kind of .jnlp. Java is installed without any errors, the java.com website detects it as working, java web applets run fine but when I try to open .jnlp files I get that the file could not be opened because of an "unknown error". It's the same error with fx the WoL client. I can't even manually associate .jnlp to be opened with javaws.exe, neither in Windows nor under Firefox (but if I understood it right, they use the same association); when I've chosen Browse... and wormed my way to javaws.exe, selected it, press Open the explorer windows is closed down but absolutely nothing happens. javaws.exe is not selected and does not appear in the list of programs to choose from.

hapl :<

e/ I managed to associate .jnlp files with the web start launcher almost by accident, by setting the default action for .jnlp files in firefox to download. Clicking open on the .jnlp file in the FF downloader, it asks what to open with (although this time the window did not look like the standard windows/vista window for that, don't ask me precisely how it looked or what it was) and there it worked. After I had successfully associated the file I could suddenly set Firefox to open .jnlp files with the web start launcher as standard action.

However, after successfully installing Minion I'm now back on square one, the .jar file is not associated to Java by default and I can't manually associate it as detailed above (just for the .jar file this time around; I browse to javaw.exe but when I click open the browse window closes but javaw.exe is not selected and does not appear on the list).

e2/ I even wormed my way to the jar file association in the registry and it's set to run with one of the java executables, but it stubbornly refuses to run properly, Windows stubbornly refuses to let me change the file association and keeps showing .jar as opened with "unknown program" in the file association editor program.

Last edited by Izichial : 06-22-09 at 02:00 PM.
06-22-09, 09:59 PM   #2
DonCorneo
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just for ha-ha's, try disabling your anti-virus and firewall. Disconnect your internet connection first. If it should happen to work correctly, try enabling one, than the other. This may not be the problem, but it's one way to rule them out.
06-23-09, 02:07 AM   #3
TazRulez
A Murloc Raider
If you happen to have a program like WinRAR there is an option to set that to open jar files. open WinRAR and make sure that option is not enabled
06-23-09, 06:33 AM   #4
Izichial
A Murloc Raider
Nope, no change with antivirus nor firewall off. WinRAR is not involved, Windows does not know what to open .jar files with and refuses to allow me to set it as detailed above.

I did however open the MMOUI Minon folder in Firefox, and opening the file there allows me to set it to open with javaw.exe without a fuss - giving me the error "Could not find the main class: C:\Program Files (x86)\MMOUI Minion\minion.jar. Program will exit." for my troubles.

Also tried running the file with command, with java -jar minion.jar - at which point it gets stuck on thinking/executing. Blah.
06-24-09, 02:48 PM   #5
Izichial
A Murloc Raider
Small update, I think I've managed to iron out the problem with getting Java to run it by running a registry fix with CC Cleaner after which I had no problems setting .jar files to be opened with Java. However it only means I'm now just getting the fast track to "Could not find the main class: C:\Program Files (x86)\MMOUI Minion\minion.jar. Program will exit.".

Trying to run minion from the command console yields the same results as before.
06-25-09, 01:05 AM   #6
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
See if this helps you any.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
06-25-09, 09:51 AM   #7
Izichial
A Murloc Raider
Did not work; yields an empty command window (apart from the blinking underscore, I'm hesitant whether call it freezing or not but it sure doesn't do anything apart from sitting there blinking (memory/cpu usage is down at ~2k / 0% so it's nothing like a loop either)), same result as "manually" trying to run it from command. I feel about the same way as the OP of the thread where the linked post was; I'm a fairly proficient PC user but I'm all dry on ideas that might make it work.

Think the total tally of reinstalls for Java and Minion combined is running into the 20s now. :<

e/ A small addition, I found another .jar application (nwn2 character editor if it makes any difference) and it works fine, so it seems the problem is with Minion rather than .jar files in general.

Last edited by Izichial : 06-25-09 at 11:45 AM.
06-25-09, 11:59 AM   #8
ScytheBlade1
aka Sbo

Premium Member
If that didn't work, then you have some serious issues with your Java install that I can't even being to qualify. If reinstalling your JRE has done nothing (twenty times!) then I'm really not sure what is wrong or what can be done to help you.

Maybe uninstall every copy of Java that you have (you can install many, many multiple versions installed side by side), try to launch it and make sure that it at least does something different - and then reinstall to see what happens?

Really, all I can do with your issue is just guess.
<Iriel> does your 'therapy' involve pitchforks and boiling oil?
06-25-09, 01:29 PM   #9
Izichial
A Murloc Raider
Uninstalling all copies of Java was what I did the first time (if you've had Java for some time the old updates appear separate of the JRE). I've tried uninstalling then installing, reinstalling over an existing install, installing JDK over JRE, online install, offline install, 32bit, 64bit, various options paired with Minion installed or uninstalled during installation, you name it.

Filled in a feedback webform on java.com, hoping I can get some help from that angle.

I'm curious about the registry errors, though.
06-29-09, 05:39 AM   #10
gmhowell
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I get essentially the same errors on the Mac side of things. The jnlp won't open up, and I get the following errors when trying to run the jar from the command line:

Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdesktop/layout/GroupLayout$Group
	at com.mmoui.minion.installer.Main.main(Main.java:44)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jdesktop.layout.GroupLayout$Group
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:319)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:330)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:254)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:402)
Mac OSX 10.5.7
java -version gives:

java version "1.6.0_13"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03-211)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.3-b02-83, mixed mode)

as the output.

Last edited by gmhowell : 06-29-09 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Adding system information
07-01-09, 06:07 AM   #11
gmhowell
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Ok, I was poking around a bit and decided to try running the jnlp file directly with the command 'javaws', which has things working. Fingers crossed.
07-02-09, 08:58 PM   #12
Izichial
A Murloc Raider
Your posts are slightly confusing, gmhowell; which file are you having problems running? The .jnlp file is the webstart app that you start from minion.mmoui.com and the .jar is the installed Minion on your hard drive. Do note that the current thread title is wrong since I resolved my problems with the webstart app since I made the thread only to run into problems with the .jar.

Still getting "could not find main class" error on my .jar for what it's worth.
07-03-09, 05:32 AM   #13
gmhowell
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

The jnlp was giving an error, so my java install was kicking it to an editor. I took a peek to see what was going on. Saw that the jnlp was really just pointing to a jar. I manually downloaded the jar to see what was going on. Tried running that. The results of all of this are in my earlier posts.

'javaws' followed by the name/path of the jnlp file (which I had downloaded) has done the trick for me.
07-06-09, 08:01 AM   #14
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
Deleting your copies of Java and starting fresh is one of the suggestions already said here but ends up being the most viable one atm. The issue is in your java not in Minion.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » jnlp file won't run