03-25-06, 12:56 AM   #1
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
FuBar - QuestsFu

This is a quest-tracker replacement plugin for BossPanel . It provides a tooltip which replicates /most/ of the information from the quest log. (Quest level, difficulty, objectives, zone, and so on.)

Certain thanks must be given to MonkeyQuest, which motivated me to write this by being everything that I wanted in a quest-tracker replacement while annoying me by putting a frame over a quarter of my screen.

This is my first WoW Addon ever, so I'm sure that I've done things wrong. Let me know.

The file is here.

Last edited by Kemayo : 04-07-06 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Now it's called QuestsFu
03-25-06, 02:37 AM   #2
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Looks nice, thanks!

I'm on a bit of a hiatus from WoW right now (cough..Oblivion). Every time I want to play WoW, I've got to wait an hour to get ingame...only to encounter unplayable lag. Its getting very old, very quick.

Anyway, I'll check it out sometime tomorrow and post any bugs
03-25-06, 10:52 AM   #3
StatiK
A Murloc Raider

GREAT job...I've been waiting for something like this and I just recently switched to Boss Panel 2 days ago and its great aswell. Keep up the good work.
03-25-06, 01:42 PM   #4
Kemayo
A Cyclonian

Aaaaaaand new version released.

It turns out that errors could happen if a tooltip tried to go beyond 40 lines. Boss stopped the error from being thrown, as of BossPanel 0.9.1, but I felt that something should be done to stop the tooltip from being cut off.

In service of this goal, I added a "only show quest descriptions/objectives for the current area" option, and have arranged for the tooltip to automatically fall back to displaying slightly less information if it exceeds 40 lines.

When WoW1.10 is released this limitation will go away, I'm told, so at that point I suppose I might want to turn it into an option. Or work out how to tell if a tooltip is passing the bottom edge of the screen. Or something.
03-25-06, 02:46 PM   #5
BloodEagle
A Theradrim Guardian
The only things this mod is missing is the two things that makes MonkeyQuest still my quest addon. When MQ is up and running, and you gather the quest items, the number of quest items left goes progressivly from grey, to red, to orange, and ends up being green when you have them all.

I was very excited to install and try this mod until I noticed that all of the quest items stay grey, no matter how many of them you have collected, forcing you to look and search very carefully. The second is that if you click on the quest in MQ, your Blizzard quest panel pops up so that you can read in depth. If you end up adding those, I will definately stick MQ in my "Old mods" folder, and use yours instead.

What we communicate is as important as How we communicate.

03-25-06, 04:16 PM   #6
Kemayo
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by BloodEagle
The only things this mod is missing is the two things that makes MonkeyQuest still my quest addon. When MQ is up and running, and you gather the quest items, the number of quest items left goes progressivly from grey, to red, to orange, and ends up being green when you have them all.

The second is that if you click on the quest in MQ, your Blizzard quest panel pops up so that you can read in depth. If you end up adding those, I will definately stick MQ in my "Old mods" folder, and use yours instead.
I just uploaded BossPanel - Quests 0.1.2, which colors the (numeric) objectives based on how complete they are.

Clicking on the quests is difficult, given the constraint of the tooltip format. The best I can offer is that if you click on the icon/text in the bar, the quest log will open.

I'll have a look at the BossPanel API to see if there's a way to accomplish that through the standard tooltip-model.
03-25-06, 06:06 PM   #7
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

One thing that would also be very handy is adding Quest Info to item tooltips.

Example:

If you hover over "Yowler's Paw", the bottom of its tooltip would list "Q: Howling in the Hills" (maybe trunctating after 10 characters or so).

I think its MonkeyQuest that does this...maybe its another mod. This would be very similar to what Mendeleev/Periodic Table does with tradeskill info. If it sounds interesting maybe Tekkub or Moonwolf would give some advice.

Thanks!
03-26-06, 01:41 AM   #8
Kemayo
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Devla
One thing that would also be very handy is adding Quest Info to item tooltips.

Example:

If you hover over "Yowler's Paw", the bottom of its tooltip would list "Q: Howling in the Hills" (maybe trunctating after 10 characters or so).

I think its MonkeyQuest that does this...maybe its another mod. This would be very similar to what Mendeleev/Periodic Table does with tradeskill info. If it sounds interesting maybe Tekkub or Moonwolf would give some advice.

Thanks!
Done -- I just uploaded 0.1.3, which can add objectives (and their completion status) to item and mob tooltips.

(And let me just say that it was a real pain finding out how to tinker with existing item tooltips. There wasn't a page out there that Google could find that said "So, you want to add things to inventory tooltips!" I fell back on reading the source for numerous other addons until I worked out what they were doing. After I got the mob tooltip working, I was expecting it to be a simple matter of catching an event, but no...)
03-26-06, 04:11 AM   #9
BloodEagle
A Theradrim Guardian
Absolutely great, thanks for hearing us out and responding. This is how great mods are made, and I assure you that I will be using yours for all of my quests from here on out.

What we communicate is as important as How we communicate.

03-26-06, 10:19 AM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
a) You are always more than welcome to come hang out in our IRC channel. A lot of the Blizz UI forum regulars are in there so it's a great place to ask for help with coding; and

b) There's a bug in the latest version (on Live Servers):

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quest.gif
Views:	2592
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	502  
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-26-06 at 01:26 PM.
03-26-06, 11:58 AM   #11
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

The community over at WoWAce is very helpful. If you are ever looking for programming suggestions or help, thats the place to look.

Thanks for the tooltip addition
03-26-06, 02:41 PM   #12
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Cairenn
Bug in the latest version (on Live Servers):

I've added some checks to avoid that. I didn't expect the tooltip first line to be blank...
03-26-06, 03:26 PM   #13
TheFly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Clickable tooltip

To come around current shortcomings I've made a mod with an overridden tooltip

In addition to BossPanel_Quests 1.0.3 it supports clicking quests to select that quest in the questlog. Shift clicking will track a quest using blizzard tracker. Clicking a category will either hide or unhide all quests in that category.

Have not gotten around to saving settings across sessions.

attaching screenshots, any comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_032606_231254.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	503  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_032606_231600.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	504  
03-27-06, 12:54 AM   #14
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Your words intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

More seriously, I would be interested in looking at how that was done, with intent to integrate it into the "official" release.
03-27-06, 03:57 AM   #15
Ardsagart
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by TheFly
In addition to BossPanel_Quests 1.0.3 it supports clicking quests to select that quest in the questlog. Shift clicking will track a quest using blizzard tracker. Clicking a category will either hide or unhide all quests in that category.
It would be cool if this can be added to the official version, as that is how the Titan version of the plugin worked, you could click on it to add quests to your watcher etc.

But if it makes the mod too messy, I am happy with how it is now
03-27-06, 04:51 AM   #16
TheFly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Is in the process of upgrading my patch with the newest official changes (realized I based it on 1.0.2 originally)

I'm pretty much done although I need to adjust the addline call as the color management changed slightly. (I'm currently colorizing by color string tags)

I should post the result tonight CET.
03-27-06, 10:42 AM   #17
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

next NIL :/

here we go with another NIL error... (using version 0.1.4)

Code:
\BossPanel_Quests.lua:432: attempt to concatenate field `description' (a nil value)
03-27-06, 10:50 AM   #18
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Elkano
here we go with another NIL error... (using version 0.1.4)

Code:
\BossPanel_Quests.lua:432: attempt to concatenate field `description' (a nil value)
I already got a bug report for this and fixed it. It's just not released yet...
03-27-06, 11:04 AM   #19
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
If you don't mind being a guinea pig, this version has a little bit of debugging code in it. (I can stop the error happening, but I don't know exactly why it's happening. I just have guesses.)

It should print out an error when it scans the quest log. I think I've added all the relevant information into the error message, so...

(I'd do it myself, but none of my characters have a quest that trips this bug.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip BossPanel_Quests-0.1.4.debug.zip (7.7 KB, 600 views)
03-27-06, 11:59 AM   #20
TheFly
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'm uploading my modded version after having merged it with 1.0.4.

Post comments below
Attached Files
File Type: zip BossPanel_Quests.zip (13.5 KB, 635 views)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » BossPanel_Quests