04-27-11, 04:26 PM   #1
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Question Minimap Icons Flashing (Resolved with Patch?)

I installed the new 4.1 beta version of Carbonite this morning and so far I've only found one problem. And it didn't start right away. But after playing for several hours, the icons on my minimap began flashing erratically, which was driving me nuts.

At first I thought it was my graphics (I've had issues with my new graphics card) but after rebooting it didn't fix it. Then I noticed the flashing reminded me somewhat of the flashing glow on harvest nodes which Carbonite adds.

I went to Carbonite Options > Map Minimap and set "Minimap herb/ore dot glow delay (0 is off)" to 0. And the problem stopped instantly and completely!

Again it didn't start right away, and I'm not sure what caused it to start doing that. But it was making ALL my minimap icons flash erratically.

I have my regular game minimap set up with the carbonite minimap seperate, situated just below my minimap and usually zoomed out so I can see more of the regular map and use the default minimap for a more localized view. (If that makes sense.) I have the "Move Minimap into Carbonite map" option disabled.

Thanks for putting out the new beta version so quickly! I love having my nodes flashing at me to remind me they're there, so I hope you can resolve this issue!

Edit: I just thought of something, it's possible the icons that are flashing are things that I have checked off in my Tracking list. I like to leave Class Trainers, Innkeepers, Mailboxes, Reagents, and Repair tracking turned on, and all those icons were flashing. If needed I can check to see if it was other icons that show up by default as well.

Edit 2: Okay it isn't just items I'm tracking. I turned everything but fishing and mining tracking off, and it's flashing for a quest I'm about to turn in. And now that it's started doing this, it won't stop even after a reboot.

Last edited by Crystallyne : 05-03-11 at 04:31 PM.

04-28-11, 11:40 AM   #2
Ellarnia
A Kobold Labourer
Cool fix

go to carbonite options->map minimap
click on minimap herb/ore dot glow delay (just above minimap docks always box)
and set it to 0 or a longer interval as to not drive you crazy

04-28-11, 11:51 AM   #3
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Ellarnia View Post
go to carbonite options->map minimap
click on minimap herb/ore dot glow delay (just above minimap docks always box)
and set it to 0 or a longer interval as to not drive you crazy
*coughs a little* Quote from my original post:

I went to Carbonite Options > Map Minimap and set "Minimap herb/ore dot glow delay (0 is off)" to 0. And the problem stopped instantly and completely!
So yeah, I did do that. Thanks though!! I'm just hoping they can fix this issue because I do like having my harvesting nodes flash at me, but not ALL my icons!

04-28-11, 06:18 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm using the beta, and the odd thing about the flashing map icons, for me at least, is this: The character I am on lately, I have the Carbonite ore gathering icons enabled, and they do not blink. Every other icon on the map does, but those do not. I have not changed the option for the rate at which the active node icon blinks. It is still at "4". I also like to see the blinking active node indicator, so I just ignore the other blinking icons.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-28-11 at 06:21 PM.

04-30-11, 10:09 AM   #5
tripleozero
A Kobold Labourer
It's not just node icons. When using tracking, all the tracking dots also flash nonstop. It's not the usual Carbonite node flash - it looks more like a graphic flicker.

This is very noticeable when using Track Humanoids in one of the major cities.

Disabling Carbonite removes the issue.

EDIT: Setting the herb/ore delay to 0 DID fix the problem with the tracking dots and other stuff flashing. Think jeffy might be on to something with the wrong icons flashing.

Last edited by tripleozero : 04-30-11 at 10:18 AM. Reason: more info

05-03-11, 10:29 AM   #6
Barnaby B. Barclay
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by tripleozero View Post
It's not just node icons. When using tracking, all the tracking dots also flash nonstop. It's not the usual Carbonite node flash - it looks more like a graphic flicker.
I use Gatherer for node tracking, thus I have disabled Carbonite's similar function... I even have the entire Carbonite Nodes addon--it's separate from the main addon--set not to load. Like triplezero said, the flashing is not like the mining/herb node flash, instead it looks more like a random flicker.

05-03-11, 12:08 PM   #7
Schattens
A Murloc Raider

I'm having the same problem, but it is just the Beta judging from the dev's previous track record they will get it smoothed out before they drop the accual update.

05-03-11, 12:16 PM   #8
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Schattens View Post
I'm having the same problem, but it is just the Beta judging from the dev's previous track record they will get it smoothed out before they drop the accual update.
Agreed. Personally, I'm waiting patiently for the update, not doubting it'll come. It may take them time, but they have always come through. And the bugs are relatively minor and easy to deal with, for me.

05-03-11, 03:42 PM   #9
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thumbs up Resolved?

Since this morning's patch, this issue seems to be resolved for me. My nodes are flashing correctly, and the other markers aren't flickering anymore. Perhaps Blizzard fixed something on their end that was interacting wrong with addons? Then again, this issue didn't show up right away for me, so there's a chance it may return. I hope not though!

Can anyone else confirm this issue seems resolved?

Edit: Ugh, I guess not. I had to reload my ui for another reason, and the flashing is back. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted. heh

Last edited by Crystallyne : 05-03-11 at 04:31 PM.

05-03-11, 08:34 PM   #10
Felwhisper
A Fallenroot Satyr

Carbonite 4.1 beta 1
Mine still does it. My repair, flight master, arena master, food & drink and all icons flash; very irritating. i did the fix above but yea carbonite is making ALL icons on the map flash, not just herb & ore nodes.

Last edited by Felwhisper : 05-03-11 at 08:41 PM.

05-03-11, 10:36 PM   #11
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Seems to be working OK for me, too.

Edit: Well, until I reloaded the UI anyway. It was fun while it lasted, though.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 05-03-11 at 11:19 PM.

05-05-11, 04:23 AM   #12
Barnaby B. Barclay
A Murloc Raider

Update: the same flicker that is occurring on the minimap is visible on items in my bags with CDs: Hearthstone, etc., though NOT items on the character screen (trinkets and so-forth)

05-05-11, 12:06 PM   #13
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, there was a "mini-patch" (for me, anyway) today, and it seems to have fixed the blinking minimap icons. I reset the active node indicator option in Carbonites options back to "0.4" and the only icon that was blinking was if I found an active node.

Reloading the UI didn't change anything. Nothing was blinking except the active node indicator.

Can someone confirm this, please?

EDIT: Never mind. A reload didn't do it, but a restart definitely did! It's BAAAAA-aaaaaaaack!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 05-05-11 at 01:01 PM.

05-09-11, 10:20 PM   #14
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The flickering minimap icons appear to be a game bug when changing the minimap texture file. I experimented and found a trick that appears to fix it. This will be in the next version, which is about done. I plan on releasing it tonight.

05-09-11, 10:43 PM   #15
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
The flickering minimap icons appear to be a game bug when changing the minimap texture file. I experimented and found a trick that appears to fix it. This will be in the next version, which is about done. I plan on releasing it tonight.
That's good to hear, faatal. I've noticed that, for some odd reason, it can be quite random. I can log into a character, and the whole time I am playing that character, the icons won't blink. Change to another character, and the icons don't blink until I "zone", or do a "/rl". On another character, the icons might start out blinking, but if I "zone" or "/rl" they stop blinking. On top of it, this can happen with any character at any time. It doesn't seem to matter how many, or which, addons I have enabled, it can happen (or not happen) regardless.

05-09-11, 11:27 PM   #16
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It appears to be some type of caching or loading problem. I'm sure you will let us know if Carb 4.1 does not fix it.

05-10-11, 11:11 AM   #17
Yelina
An Aku'mai Servant
It appears to be some type of caching or loading problem. I'm sure you will let us know if Carb 4.1 does not fix it.
FYI :I didn't play much yet today. But after installing Carb 4.1 I started the game on one of my chars
And the flashing icons on the mini map were still there.

05-10-11, 05:44 PM   #18
fixitman333
A Fallenroot Satyr
I have the same issue. I also use separate WoW and carb minimaps. Only icons for things I am tracking are flashing. I also use HandyNotes, and none of the vendors, mailboxes, etc are flashing.

05-11-11, 10:01 AM   #19
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It still appears to be a random thing. Yesterday, I logged onto one character, and everything was fine (no blinking icons except for the active node indicator). Logged onto another character and everything was blinking again.

Today, I logged onto one of those same characters (the one everything was fine for), and everything was blinking again. Logged onto the other character, and nothing was blinking. Logged back onto the other character again, and the blinking had stopped.

Through all of this, one thing (at least for me) has remained constant. The Carbonite herb/ore icons have not blinked at all. I don't know why, but....

05-11-11, 10:23 AM   #20
Crystallyne
A Fallenroot Satyr
I have installed the newest update, and my icons are still flashing as well. I also use seperate default and carb minimaps. (I have the carb minimap positioned below my regular minimap, but zoomed out a bit to see more of the map.) I hope y'all can get this sorted out!! Thanks for all the effort put into it!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Minimap Icons Flashing